Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

[Connectivity] Technicolor Gateway - Live?

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Don't see it listed for sale anywhere yet, and given the general experience with all-in-one gateways, I would be reluctant to be first in line.

Extide

join:2000-06-11
reply to Darknessfall
Technicolor bought Thomson Multimedia, who produced the RCA brand, so essentially this is just an RCA product.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
I read that yesterday when I went to Wikipedia and put in their name .

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
said by Extide:

Technicolor bought Thomson Multimedia, who produced the RCA brand, so essentially this is just an RCA product.

More accurately, according to that Wikipedia article (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technicolor_SA), it was the other way around:
Thomson-Brandt was subsequently renamed Thomson SA (Société Anonyme), and soon thereafter merged with Thomson-CSF. GE then sold the rights to make RCA- and GE-branded televisions and other consumer electronics products in 1988 to the French Thomson Consumer Electronics, in exchange for some of Thomson's medical businesses. In 1988 Thomson Consumer Electronics was formed, and then renamed it Thomson SA.
:
In 2000, Thomson Multimedia purchased Technicolor from Carlton Television (owned by Carlton Communications) in the U.K.
:
On January 27, 2010, the company changed its name to Technicolor, re-branding the entire company after its American film technology subsidiary.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to Darknessfall
I had to throw a fit to get just a basic EMTA when my Arris TM722G died. I wanted either another 722 or even better, an 822. But all they had on the shelf is the stupid gateways. So they had to give me an Arris 820 modem for HSI and an Arris TM 602 for phone. So I reconfigured the phone so it originates in the basement into the house wiring instead of back feeding through the Halloween pair back through the RJ31X (alarm connection) and back to the phones on the Christmas pair. I just spliced a piece of cat5 into the alarm connection using scotch locks and terminated it with an RJ11 male connector and plugged it into the modem.

The only downside is I have five devices so I have a two-was splitter going to the HSI modem and then to a four-way going to the phone modem and the three TVs.

The reason I want a basic modem is I have an Apple AirPort Extreme router (which is like comparing a BMW to a Ford Pinto). The Apple routers are superior compared to the Comcast gateways. Even Linksys and Netgear are superior compared to the Comcast gateways.

My friend in Iowa said that Mediacom tried unloading a similar gateway when he just wanted a basic modem so he could use his Apple router. So it's not just Comcast that is pushing these gateways.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to Darknessfall
For reference, here are the articles from CED Magazine from back in August and September when Comcast first introduced and launched it:

Comcast out of the starting blocks with Dory gateway
By Mike Robuck, CED Magazine - August 30, 2012
»www.cedmagazine.com/news/2011/08···-gateway

Comcast updates wireless gateway; 305 launches in Northeast
By Mike Robuck, CED Magazine - September 18, 2012
»www.cedmagazine.com/news/2012/09···ortheast

Extide

join:2000-06-11
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

said by Extide:

More accurately, according to that Wikipedia article (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technicolor_SA), it was the other way around:
Thomson-Brandt was subsequently renamed Thomson SA (Société Anonyme), and soon thereafter merged with Thomson-CSF. GE then sold the rights to make RCA- and GE-branded televisions and other consumer electronics products in 1988 to the French Thomson Consumer Electronics, in exchange for some of Thomson's medical businesses. In 1988 Thomson Consumer Electronics was formed, and then renamed it Thomson SA.
:
In 2000, Thomson Multimedia purchased Technicolor from Carlton Television (owned by Carlton Communications) in the U.K.
:
On January 27, 2010, the company changed its name to Technicolor, re-branding the entire company after its American film technology subsidiary.

Interesting. I didn't know that Thomson bought Technicolor so long ago. My dad used to work for Thomson so I was just going by memory of what he'd told me.

And, IowaCowboy, the comcast gateways are garbage yes, but Apple Airport routers are nothing special really. I mean they are good consumer grade products, but nothing more than that.