All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

MJB33
join:2012-01-29

MJB33

2 Days till ITU Meeting In Dubai, UAE

International Telecom Union (UN Body) is meeting in Dubai, UAE on Monday to discuss the future of the INTERNET!

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy

said by MJB33:

International Telecom Union (UN Body) is meeting in Dubai, UAE on Monday to discuss the future of the INTERNET!

I love of how a bunch of hypocritical fat bureaucratic politicians feel they have the authority to judge how something that should be open and free to everyone should be limited and policed.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

ITU sets standards, if they didn't, then you wouldn't have had v90/v92 standards for 56K dialup (you would have had to chose between k56flex and X2), and hope your provider supported it.

Jay_P
join:2005-12-12
Montreal, QC

Jay_P

said by elwoodblues:

ITU sets standards, if they didn't, then you wouldn't have had v90/v92 standards for 56K dialup (you would have had to chose between k56flex and X2), and hope your provider supported it.

I chose k56flex back in the day and it was hell trying to find an ISP that supported it.

MJB33

MJB33

this meeting is about controlling the internet.. increasing prices on accessing websites.. like google/facebook/youtube/twitter/etc.. and censorship of certain sites... china / russia supports censorship. plus they want control of the dns system...
MJB33

MJB33

Does anyone care if they kill the DNS System that keeps the internet running. So you don't have to remember all the ip-addresses of the sites that u visit. Banking, Youtube, Google, DSLReports, Etc.

The UN wants to kill that! no dns no internet. unless you write all the addresses down. IP-Version

Shrug
@videotron.ca

Shrug

Anon

said by MJB33:

The UN wants to kill that! no dns no internet. unless you write all the addresses down. IP-Version

Have a link to the UN stating this?

MJB33

MJB33

»www.bbc.co.uk/news/techn ··· 20575844

There - Said Internet Regulation in the Article

Sandroid
BSD geek
Premium Member
join:2002-08-08
Anjou, QC

Sandroid

Premium Member

said by MJB33:

You're an idiot. Nowhere does it say anything about DNS. Go take your ADHD pills and go to bed.

Regulation isn't all bad - and you'd be surprised how much "regulation" already exists. Fear mongerers are painting this as a doom and gloom, mostly out of nothing more than fear that this can affect how easily they can download illegal content.

MJB33

MJB33

Got no idea how many of my favorite bit torrent sites have been shut down...! btjunkie.. demonoid. filesharing site megaupload. Ya the internet is being attacked at all ends. They don't say about DNS blocking since they don't want to cause mass panic. But again they do that already in countries like China. If the UN controls the internet they have their tax on streaming from YouTube. Can control who gets a website, since the UN will decide if you get to run your own site. We know that anything can happen in this uncertain world!

Shrug
@videotron.ca

Shrug to MJB33

Anon

to MJB33
said by MJB33:

I still don't see where the UN states that. Mind pointing it out, or copy/paste where they state it?

MJB33

MJB33

if you listen to alex jones this internet takeover was discussed 6 years ago. he has the official white papers of the government's plan to regulate and tax the internet. i'm a listener of the radio show via itunes podcast. the plan is internet2... »www.youtube.com/user/The ··· ture=g-u
Walter Dnes
join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON

Walter Dnes to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
Showing my age here. If the ITU hadn't stepped in, USR's X2 would've destroyed K56flex. As mentioned in »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/56 ··· /s_modem K56flex was a combination of Rockwell's K56Plus and Lucent's V.Flex2. In real life it was a desperate shotgun marriage of 2 companies that were losing marketshare. It didn't work.

K56flex was a hurriedly-defined spec, that was sold under many brand names. The manufacturing was done by a bunch of Taiwanese OEMs trying to translate English specs into Chinese. Basically, you had to buy the same brand of K56flex consumer modem as your dialup ISP's ISP modem. K56flex modems manufactured by one Taiwanese OEM were generally not compatible with K56flex modems manufactured by another Taiwanese OEM, notwithstanding that they were both allegedly the same spec. Since US Robotics controlled the manufacture of their modems, you could be confident that a USR X2 consumer modem would work with any dialup ISP that advertised X2 modem compatibility.
Walter Dnes

Walter Dnes to MJB33

to MJB33
Countries can already control the internet inside their borders without an international treaty. Follow the money. This is a cash grab, pure and simple...

1) Various countries want to tax all inbound traffic, e.g. Google/Youtube/Facebook/CNN/etc.

2) Many ITU members are PTTs (Postal/Telephone/Telegraph agencies). In many cases they are owned by national governments. In some corrupt 3rd-world countries, it's cynically seen as the company owning the government, but that's another story. In order to protect their long-distance phone revenue, many 3rd-world countries block VOIP. See »blogs.law.harvard.edu/in ··· ng-voip/
The OpenNet Initiative, of which I'm a member, has been keeping an eye on this as well; we noted in our study on Internet filtering in the United Arab Emirates, for example, that two people who used VoIP to bypass the state telecom company's monopoly were imprisoned. Now, it turns out that the UAE blocks Skype's Web site as well (to protect Etisalat's position). Who blocks VoIP? Belize (which held a hearing), Mexico, Israel, China (with help from Narus), Qatar, Oman, Guatemala, Saudi Arabia&... It even happens here in the States, although the FCC cracks down on this.
I do not want these people setting any international standards that we'd have to abide by. If they want to block the internet internally, so be it. How much money do Google/Amazon/Facebook/etc make off of 3rd-world peasants anyways?

sheeez
@videotron.ca

sheeez to MJB33

Anon

to MJB33
said by MJB33:

if you listen to alex jones this internet takeover was ...

F me.
So you say crap.
Paste crap
Yet nothing you said or pasted was ever actually said.
It's all your imagination.
All in your head.

Let us review this:
said by Shrug :

said by MJB33:

Have a link to the UN stating this?

said by MJB33:

You said a lie.
Pasted some link and said "There". Yet nothing exists there.
Now you say it's because conspiracy voodoo guy Alex Jones says so.

Umm...

err...

hmm...

I think you need to get out more often.

BTW, none of this is new either. The whole monetization thing has been said years ago. In Canada, by Canadians. You can even find it of Geists site. Quebecor wanted and envisioned the same monetization scheme printed in the BBC article 5 years ago. Go look and learn about it, instead of people a brainless follower of that nimrod.

I hope you feel embarrassed by what you said up until now.

Sandroid
BSD geek
Premium Member
join:2002-08-08
Anjou, QC

Sandroid to MJB33

Premium Member

to MJB33
said by MJB33:

Got no idea how many of my favorite bit torrent sites have been shut down...! btjunkie.. demonoid. filesharing site megaupload. Ya the internet is being attacked at all ends.

I think this says it all right here - The real reason why you're concerned. You probably couldn't care less for "an open internet" if it weren't for the impact it has on your torrents.

Oh, and 20$ says you have no idea what you're talking about wrt DNS. Cuz if DNS is really your concern, you'll note that having this global organization take ownership of DNS (if that really was something they want to do) would do alot to extract control of so much of the internet by the USA. DNS is currently "controlled" by each respective country's TLD (if they have one). Then there are countries like China that probably redirect DNS lookups to their own servers as part of their control of incoming content to their population. Those are two different things, and as others have said, this meeting has no bearing on whether or not that sort of activity will continue/diminish/proliferate.

Time to find another conspiracy theory imho.