share rss forum feed

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA
kudos:1

[WIN8] Biggest gripe about Win 8...

Where is the big red X to stop these programs??? So many things - the Default PDF program and the Default music program don't have a red X in the corner to shut them down!! And honestly I cannot find that red X anywhere!!! That is REALLY annoying!!!!

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

1 edit
Easiest way to close Modern UI apps, move the mouse cursor to the top of the screen until it changes to a hand, click and drag the cursor to the bottom of the screen.

OverBurn

join:2004-02-21
Greenwood, IN
reply to R2
That's one of my gripes too, the list is very long though, Win8 is a steaming pile.

If you start IE, for example, from the god awful start up screen there seems to be no good way of shutting it down. If you open up the task manager, programs will still be running.

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to R2
What Riamen said, it's like closing a window

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
kudos:2
reply to R2
All,

Another way to close an app is to return to the Start screen (press the Windows key). At the Start screen, move your mouse pointer to the top left corner of the monitor. This action will pop out a side bar with a thumb nail size image of the open app. You then right click on the thumbnail size app and select close, (using a mouse, non touchscreen).

I've used this method a lot.

Freddy

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
reply to OverBurn
said by OverBurn:

If you start IE, for example, from the god awful start up screen there seems to be no good way of shutting it down. If you open up the task manager, programs will still be running.

Sounds like Windows isn't closing the program or app, i.e. the process, just closing the "window".

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
reply to R2
Have you tried Alt+F4?

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA
reply to Riamen
That works well with your fingers, but with a mouse in Metro it is like a constant treasure hunt.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to R2
Click for full size
What default PDF program? What default music program? Windows Media Player isn't there really. I didn't know there was a default PDF program. Fx has PDF built in now but I am still using Fx 10 ESR. There is a new ESR version (just came out - Fx 17) and it has builtin PDF but I haven't upgraded yet...I need to figure out Win 8 first...don't need to have to figure out a year's upgrade on Fx yet.

I have a red X upper right corner on Fx 10 ESR.

I have a red X upper right corner on IE 10 and anything that needs to be closed. Get off Metro and stay on the desktop. Delete most of the tiles on Metro. Don't use IE from Metro but from desktop, same with other programs. That Metro garbage updates automatically. If you value your privacy, get rid of those tiles. Win 8 will, unfortunately, add programs that you install as tiles on that Metro page. But you can mostly ignore all that and surely Microsoft will be forced to give desktop users a way to completely turn off Metro...if not third party will step in...in fact, I think Classic Shell does this. I have refrained from installing Classic Shell yet but I probably will eventually.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to R2
said by R2:

Where is the big red X to stop these programs??? So many things - the Default PDF program and the Default music program don't have a red X in the corner to shut them down!! And honestly I cannot find that red X anywhere!!! That is REALLY annoying!!!!

no need to shut down a metro app - they are managed apps, the OS will kill them if it needs ram.

If you must be in control and you are not on a touch device, Alt-F4 terminates them, just like desktop apps.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Yeah, they are MANAGED APPLICATIONS which spy on you. You'd be crazy to not shut all of them down permanently. USE THE DESKTOP not garbage, spying Metro crap. Don't buy Surface, don't buy any Apple products either.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
reply to R2
said by R2:

Where is the big red X to stop these programs???

If you switch to the desktop while the metro app is running you can then point the mouse to the upper left corner of the desktop and a thumbnail of the running Metro app will appear in that corner. You can right click that thumbnail for the option to close the app.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

2 recommendations

reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Yeah, they are MANAGED APPLICATIONS which spy on you.

You really do live in a scary world, don't you? They don't spy on you. Now, Google is spying on you, since that's their business model.

So no Google, no Apple, no Microsoft. Why aren't you running Linux again?
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
Repositories are ran by the NSA, obviously.

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
reply to Mele20
Click for full size
Mele20 & All,

Windows Reader is the default PDF reader, uses the new Metro-style interface, and works with PDFs opened from Windows Explorer. My understanding is that the "Reader" only works with the Metro Internet explorer, which doesn't allow plug-ins (for Adobe Reader), so don't throw away your Adobe PDF Reader for use with the desktop version of Internet Explorer.

Also, both the Reader and the Windows Media Player can be found in the All Apps screen. See my image of that screen (the two Apps are circled in red).

You can pin the media player to the task bar on your desktop. Also, you can put a shortcut on your desktop by locating the .exe file on the C drive, right clicking it and selecting the send to desktop as a shortcut option.

Freddy

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to Freddy
Yeah that's what I do also
Expand your moderator at work

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Freddy

Re: [WIN8] Biggest gripe about Win 8...

I got rid of all those tiles. I would never use IE from Metro. I tried that ...HORRIBLE experience. The only tiles I have now are programs I have installed that get put there. But that is a horrible place for them. I have tried to avoid installing Classic Shell but I need my programs where they should be ...above start and in nice, neat columns where I can easily find the one I want. I want nothing to do with Metro...except I doubt installing Classic Shell will get rid of the need for that three year old childish "Charmy" bar.

I use a Linux PDF reader that has been ported to Windows on my XP machine. It's really good. I have never read PDF in a browser because of security issues. I always download to disk and read and haven't used Adobe's reader probably in 7-8 years. When I upgrade to the latest Fx ESR version it has a builtin Mozilla developed PDF reader. I will use it. It will also run on Sea Monkey I think but Sea Monkey is not currently supported for Win 8 so best use Fx.

I have a desktop...a NEW desktop. I believe in desktops and screw Microsoft for trying to ruin desktops. I am fine with Metro for mobile devices but Microsoft should not have attacked all desktop users like they have done. I saw an ad last night on TV ....ergonomics are thrown out by Microsoft...they will get sued for that...and Microsoft was promoting use of a desktop with a touch screen. The user was stretching their arm way out, leaning forward, straining arm, shoulder, neck and back muscles in order to do touch screen on a desktop! That is awful. Desktops, if set up correctly, are fully ergonomic but change your monitor to a touch screen and you will end up with a lot worse than carpal tunnel syndrome.
--

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
Houston, TX
said by Mele20:

...except I doubt installing Classic Shell will get rid of the need for that three year old childish "Charmy" bar.

It does eliminate the need for it. Classic Shell makes W8 appear and function indistinguishably from Windows 7.

Why haven't you tried it yet ? It is a small light weight program that you can toggle on and off, and completely un-install from "Programs and Features" in the control panel if you want. You are just poking your own eyes out by not installing it.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Gee, if it gets rid of "Charmy" and that gigantic black clock that keep popping up if I so much as move my mouse a smidgeon off the vertical scroll bar (but that never appear if I actually require "Charmy") well...guess I should try it.

Maybe it will make Gadwin Print Screen more compatible with Win 8. It keeps popping up when I hit backspace more than once quickly or hit some other keys. (Kidding...or wishful thinking...I doubt Classic Shell would have anything to do with Gadwin Print Screen problems. It may be this low form keyboard too as that is like typing on concrete and I am making more errors than usual).
--

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
Houston, TX
You can download and install it in less than two minutes. Another 30 seconds to decide which of the 3 classic start menus you want. 45 more seconds to select the things you want on the start menu, or just leave at defaults for an extra zero seconds.

Don't like that ? Un-Install in 20 seconds.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
It gave me text on top of text and full glass was not that transparent and the Start menu was in dark brown! I couldn't read it in that color and with text on top of text. Plus, it gave me that ugly globe for the word "start". I hate that stupid globe. I wanted it to be like classic XP and it does not have that dumb globe...that started in Vista if you were not using Classic Windows. I chose the classic menu but it still had that fat ugly globe for Start.

I would have played with though except it suddenly disappeared (the Start menu part) and I couldn't figure out how to get it back. I also did not like the childish icons in Explorer that it added. But I would have played with it except I couldn't get it back. So, I just uninstalled it.

Maybe I will try it again later. It is not simple like you claim...there is a LOT to learn if you use it and I am overwhelmed with learning right now...don't need anything more to learn.
--

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3
reply to R2
said by R2:

MS is going the ways of Apple Mac. On a Mac when you close a window you are working in the program itself Does Not Close. It stays running in the background until you Quit the program.

Why on earth is MS following Apple Mac on this. It is the Stupidest thing I have every had to deal with, as I own one Mac. It will be my last Apple product. As it's looking Windows 7 will be my last Microsoft Operating System also.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

Riamen
Premium
Calgary

1 edit
said by Shootist:

MS is going the ways of Apple Mac. On a Mac when you close a window you are working in the program itself Does Not Close. It stays running in the background until you Quit the program.

Why on earth is MS following Apple Mac on this. It is the Stupidest thing I have every had to deal with, as I own one Mac. It will be my last Apple product. As it's looking Windows 7 will be my last Microsoft Operating System also.

You obviously don't understand OS X, windows on the Mac represent documents not applications. Close a window and you're closing a document, the application still runs until you chose to close it.

The behaviour in Metro is different and has nothing to do with aping the Mac. It's falling line with other mobile operating systems where there's little need to close apps and the OS handles everything. It makes sense for mobile touch-based operating systems. I admit less so on the desktop.

Shootist
Premium
Decatur, GA
I understand OS X very well, thank you.

Riamen
Premium
Calgary
Maybe so but your comparing it to Windows 8 didn't make sense.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
Houston, TX
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Maybe I will try it again later. It is not simple like you claim...there is a LOT to learn if you use it and I am overwhelmed with learning right now...don't need anything more to learn.

I'm sure there are settings to adjust all those things you did not like, but I can sympathize with not having the time to learn a bunch of new stuff. At least you know what is available and can quiet those who keep pointing you to an alternate shell.

The customer is always right, and this is something that Microsoft needs to be aware of. It would have been very easy to leave more basic desktop functionality in the desktop. If they can put 30 check boxes of options in the "Performance and View" to adjust fading and sliding options they could damn sure have included one check box somewhere to enable / disable classic desktop functionality for those of us who would have liked a choice.

Shootist
Premium
Decatur, GA
reply to Riamen
said by Riamen:

Maybe so but your comparing it to Windows 8 didn't make sense.

Maybe not to you but it makes sense to me. But then I am not either a MS or Apple Fan boy.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA
reply to Riamen
OK, but that is a LOT more time consuming than clicking a big red X! Especially on a lap top without a mouse.

I seems Windows 8 is REALLY meant to be used with touch screens - which is fine - but that is NOT what I have, so why isn't there a NON-touch screen style, lap top friendly way to close Modern UI Apps?... eh, like how about a big red X?

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA

3 edits
reply to Mele20
Click for full size
Mele, this is what I get as the default music player. Despite having some buttons at the bottom, none of them has an X...

I installed Adobe Acrobat immediately after I saw the functionality (or lack thereof) in the default "Reader" program. It was horrible. I cannot find it anymore, so maybe Adobe appropriately kills that thing once it is installed.

Believe me, I hate how intrusive Adobe is with their twice a day ARM update announcements, but at least their product has some functionality to it...