share rss forum feed

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
kudos:3
reply to Mele20

Re: [WIN8] Biggest gripe about Win 8...

On a Desktop system I don't want ANY Power Options. I want it to run FULL POWER all the time. So I agree with you on those setting. On my notebook I use them for longer battery life.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium
join:2002-02-18
kudos:1
reply to Shootist
said by Shootist:

On Mac most programs do not close when you close the window for that program.

This behavior is slowly disappearing, and both the Mac and Windows are beginning to manage apps in a similar way. Starting in OS 10.7 Lion, and even more in 10.8 Mountain Lion, the OS now has automatic termination. If the application explicitly supports automatic termination, when the OS detects there are no open windows, no background processes doing work, there's nothing to save, and the application no longer has focus, the OS will quit the app. On my Mac, all of these apps will fully quit after you close the last window: Calendar, Contacts, Notes, Reminders, TextEdit, Preview. Other applications that fully quit themselves when you close the window include: App Store, Image Capture. Now the only apps that remain open in the background after closing the window are: web browsers, Mail, iTunes. Web browsers stay open so they are quick to re-open. Mail stays open to fetch email in the background. iTunes stays open to play music and sync with iDevices.

So if you hated how the Mac kept apps open all the time, upgrade to the latest OS. Now there's only 3 or 4 applications that stay open all the time.
--
less talk, more music

Shootist
Premium
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA
That is true and false. If you have a Mac start every app you can then close the windows for them. Look and see how much RAM is being used and processes are running. Then let it sit and see if those processes close and how long it takes. I have and the OS never really closes the App.
--
Shooter Ready--Stand By BEEP ********

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20
Yes, the best description of that Metro reader is simply UGLY. There is NOTHING good about it - and it is REALLY UGLY as well. I fully agree!!!!!

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

reply to R2
Well if this is your biggest gripe about 8, I guess you don't have any real problems and like it just fine.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA
Yeah well, I just started to get to know the beast!!

SilentMan

join:2002-07-15
New York, NY
reply to R2
Windows 8: Ugliest Windows yet! That Sinofsky guy really has bad taste!

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary
reply to Shootist
said by Shootist:

That is true and false. If you have a Mac start every app you can then close the windows for them. Look and see how much RAM is being used and processes are running. Then let it sit and see if those processes close and how long it takes. I have and the OS never really closes the App.

Automatic termination is a feature of OS X 10.7 and later. Apps have to be re-written to take advantage of it.
Expand your moderator at work

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA
reply to R2

Re: [WIN8] Biggest gripe about Win 8...

Wow, the default picture application is really minimalist as well! I guess the new trend is to remove functionality and make programs as simple as possible...

DelmarPip
Premium
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX
reply to R2
what people are calling the Metro-style interface is realy the new start menu you get to it by clicking the start button that hides when people open there eyes and see they are in the start menu they will say oh so thats what it is

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Shootist
said by Shootist:

On a Desktop system I don't want ANY Power Options. I want it to run FULL POWER all the time.

What's the point of running the null thread at max frequency?

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
said by dave:

No delays, stuttering or choking when you throw it a big job.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by SipSizzurp:

said by dave:

No delays, stuttering or choking when you throw it a big job.

You mean you're sensitive to the few microseconds it takes to uprev the CPU freq?

"Stuttering or choking" sounds like nonsense to me.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to dave
said by dave:

said by Shootist:

On a Desktop system I don't want ANY Power Options. I want it to run FULL POWER all the time.

You can still set the power options for the CPU minimum to 100% - that will keep your power company happy and your fan well exercised.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by JohnInSJ:

said by dave:

said by Shootist:

You can still set the power options for the CPU minimum to 100% - that will keep your power company happy and your fan well exercised.

Sure, but my question is why do that? When you don't need the CPU cycles, why insist on clocking it at full rate? Wait until you actually have the CPU demand.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
reply to dave
said by dave:

"Stuttering or choking" sounds like nonsense to me.

It was a problem in older hardware generations and I figured that is what Shootist was talking about. Starting with the Core2duo era I've been leaving power management enabled in most cases.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to dave
said by dave:

Sure, but my question is why do that? When you don't need the CPU cycles, why insist on clocking it at full rate? Wait until you actually have the CPU demand.

Yep, that's the reason for the second half of my comment, where I get all snarky.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to R2
If you want everything to open in desktop, go to Default Programs and click the Windows Photo Viewer and set all to default. Same thing with Media Player and others.

Did you try out the gestures yet? Did it makes it tons easier for you? Please to share your experience!

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
Speaking of the Windows photo viewer, why do I get a hideous black background with a smudgy looking "photo" (.png screenshot) if I double click the particular screenshot file in My Documents, but if I right click on the file name and choose "Preview" then I get Windows Photo Viewer without the horrible black background and a nice looking preview...no smudginess. Is this actually two different programs? Or double clicking gets Metro view and right click "preview" gets a different view? Is this because I didn't set Windows Photo Viewer to default? (At least I don't think I did. I set Fx as default so IE would not keep opening links but IE still opens many links becuse they are hard coded to IE).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
Probably. I know I uninstalled (not just unpinned) the Photo App from the metro screen.

When I did that, and double-clicked on a image file (I used a .jpg, which is what all my image files are), Windows 8 prompted me to ask what I wanted to use for images. I selected "Windows Photo Viewer" and all was well.

BTW, I did the same with music and movies (uninstalled the apps from inside of metro, and used Windows Media Player). For music, I just installed Winamp.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
I right clicked on a bunch of the applications on Metro screen and "deleted" them...but I assume they are just hidden now from view. If I actually uninstall them off Metro though then a search on Metro would not find them right? One thing I really like about Win 8 is search on Metro. But if I did want them uninstalled, not just hidden from Metro screen (unless I do a search), how do I uninstall them?

If I uninstalled movies,etc. from Metro then how would I open Power DVD and Cyberlink multimedia applications?

You reminded me that I need to install Winamp...glad it works on Win 8...half my applications will not work on Win8 even in XP compatibility mode. UGH.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by Mele20:

I right clicked on a bunch of the applications on Metro screen and "deleted" them...but I assume they are just hidden now from view. If I actually uninstall them off Metro though then a search on Metro would not find them right? One thing I really like about Win 8 is search on Metro. But if I did want them uninstalled, not just hidden from Metro screen (unless I do a search), how do I uninstall them?

See the 1st picture above. When you right-click on a Metro App (I used Travel or News), on the bottom you will see a set of options. I've put a red box around the one that says Uninstall. Doing that uninstalls that application from your system. If it is the Photo App, then that will also reset the "default" application and put it into the "What do you want to do with this file" mode. So, after doing that, if you were to click on an image file, it would ask what application you would want to open it in.

said by Mele20:

If I uninstalled movies,etc. from Metro then how would I open Power DVD and Cyberlink multimedia applications?

Yeah not sure on that one. I was going to answer with "Use Windows Media Player", but Microsoft took the DVD functionally out of it . I recall a program called VLC Media player that worked well on Windows XP to play DVD's, as Windows XP did not have a lot of the codecs built-in, and VLC Media Player did. No idea if that will run on Windows 8....

said by Mele20:

You reminded me that I need to install Winamp...glad it works on Win 8...half my applications will not work on Win8 even in XP compatibility mode. UGH.

Yup, Winamp Version 5.63 works great under Windows 8. I've used that for years for playing my mp3 files. On a side note, I made sure to only have mp3 files. I then took the time and effort to properly name them (Artist - Song Title.mp3). Once done, I cleared all information stored in the detail with each file, and went and researched it myself (for Title, Contributing Artists, Album Artist, Album, Year, and track #). What is nice is when you do that manually, and modify your settings in Winamp, you get what I have in the 2nd picture. Under Windows 7, I also went and manually downloaded the proper album art as well, and associated it with the proper song inside of Winamp. Wikipedia was my friend for that! With over 400 mp3 files, it took me quite a few weeks to do all that research. But now, I have a playlist that I know is 100% correct.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 edit
Hmm...if I type photo on the Metro screen it says I have 4 apps and it also brought up 2 files that are pictures of tigers (but there are other pictures of tigers so why those two)? It also brought up one setting (where I set defaults for photos). The Photo Gallery is, I think, the one that comes up if you right click and choose preview on a Gadwin Print Screen file and the blue app does a montage of all your photos if you click a certain way, click another way and you get a slide show of all photo folders (geez...Microsoft just asked to update Windows Essentials...I don't even remember what that is...Photo Gallery is part of it I do recall that..so I let it update and then Microsoft wanted me to allow it to spy on how I use Windows Essentials...geez...I said no and I don't know if I like this WU setting I am using...it asks...doesn't just install automatically, but it doesn't like if I ignore it for awhile...but I use Windows Defender (for now at least) and I don't want to completely turn off WU). Anyhow, the blue photo app is really nice..then I have nVidia 3D photo app but it's turned off...I have no glasses for it.

Geez...I just found all sorts of crap on Metro I thought I had unnstalled...it all there and I can't uninstall...make any changes...UGH. It even says I have auto updating on for WU! I would NEVER EVER have that! Yep, WU had completely disrepected the setting I had and changed it to auto update for everything. I guess I can't use Windows Defender because I have to keep WU disabled completely since it won't respect my settings! That is HORRIBLE!

EDIT: I finally figured out how to uninstall the apps I didn't want on metro and how to change the settings for the ones I kept. It was the most UNINTUITIVE thing I have ever seen on any version of Windows. It is almost impossible to figure out how to do ANYTHING on that awful, insultingly childish looking metro screen. Then, when you get into changing anything, it is completely unintuitive and no guidance given at all. Stunningly horrible.

Windows 8 is mentally (and physically because of excessive clicking) EXHAUSTING. The commentators are correct. It is extremely difficult for the human brain to work like Win 8 forces one to do and thus exhausts one.

--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to R2
What is the point of default settings for programs when you cannot change the settings and you cannot UNINSTALL the crap either! I cannot remove that checkmark from the box and I cannot uninstall the app either...a whole ton of crap apps that I cannot uninstall! At least, I cannot uninstall them from Metro page and I cannot control them either. HORRIBLE.
--