R2
R Not
MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

Re: [WIN8] Biggest gripe about Win 8...

Wow, the default picture application is really minimalist as well! I guess the new trend is to remove functionality and make programs as simple as possible...
91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned) to R2

to R2
what people are calling the Metro-style interface is realy the new start menu you get to it by clicking the start button that hides when people open there eyes and see they are in the start menu they will say oh so thats what it is
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Shootist

Premium Member

to Shootist
said by Shootist:

On a Desktop system I don't want ANY Power Options. I want it to run FULL POWER all the time.

What's the point of running the null thread at max frequency?
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp

Premium Member

said by dave:

No delays, stuttering or choking when you throw it a big job.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

said by SipSizzurp:

said by dave:

No delays, stuttering or choking when you throw it a big job.

You mean you're sensitive to the few microseconds it takes to uprev the CPU freq?

"Stuttering or choking" sounds like nonsense to me.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

said by Shootist:

On a Desktop system I don't want ANY Power Options. I want it to run FULL POWER all the time.

You can still set the power options for the CPU minimum to 100% - that will keep your power company happy and your fan well exercised.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:

said by dave:

said by Shootist:

You can still set the power options for the CPU minimum to 100% - that will keep your power company happy and your fan well exercised.

Sure, but my question is why do that? When you don't need the CPU cycles, why insist on clocking it at full rate? Wait until you actually have the CPU demand.
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

"Stuttering or choking" sounds like nonsense to me.

It was a problem in older hardware generations and I figured that is what Shootist was talking about. Starting with the Core2duo era I've been leaving power management enabled in most cases.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

Sure, but my question is why do that? When you don't need the CPU cycles, why insist on clocking it at full rate? Wait until you actually have the CPU demand.

Yep, that's the reason for the second half of my comment, where I get all snarky.

RazzyW8
@rr.com

RazzyW8 to R2

Anon

to R2
If you want everything to open in desktop, go to Default Programs and click the Windows Photo Viewer and set all to default. Same thing with Media Player and others.

Did you try out the gestures yet? Did it makes it tons easier for you? Please to share your experience!
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Speaking of the Windows photo viewer, why do I get a hideous black background with a smudgy looking "photo" (.png screenshot) if I double click the particular screenshot file in My Documents, but if I right click on the file name and choose "Preview" then I get Windows Photo Viewer without the horrible black background and a nice looking preview...no smudginess. Is this actually two different programs? Or double clicking gets Metro view and right click "preview" gets a different view? Is this because I didn't set Windows Photo Viewer to default? (At least I don't think I did. I set Fx as default so IE would not keep opening links but IE still opens many links becuse they are hard coded to IE).

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Probably. I know I uninstalled (not just unpinned) the Photo App from the metro screen.

When I did that, and double-clicked on a image file (I used a .jpg, which is what all my image files are), Windows 8 prompted me to ask what I wanted to use for images. I selected "Windows Photo Viewer" and all was well.

BTW, I did the same with music and movies (uninstalled the apps from inside of metro, and used Windows Media Player). For music, I just installed Winamp.

--Brian
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I right clicked on a bunch of the applications on Metro screen and "deleted" them...but I assume they are just hidden now from view. If I actually uninstall them off Metro though then a search on Metro would not find them right? One thing I really like about Win 8 is search on Metro. But if I did want them uninstalled, not just hidden from Metro screen (unless I do a search), how do I uninstall them?

If I uninstalled movies,etc. from Metro then how would I open Power DVD and Cyberlink multimedia applications?

You reminded me that I need to install Winamp...glad it works on Win 8...half my applications will not work on Win8 even in XP compatibility mode. UGH.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
said by Mele20:

I right clicked on a bunch of the applications on Metro screen and "deleted" them...but I assume they are just hidden now from view. If I actually uninstall them off Metro though then a search on Metro would not find them right? One thing I really like about Win 8 is search on Metro. But if I did want them uninstalled, not just hidden from Metro screen (unless I do a search), how do I uninstall them?

See the 1st picture above. When you right-click on a Metro App (I used Travel or News), on the bottom you will see a set of options. I've put a red box around the one that says Uninstall. Doing that uninstalls that application from your system. If it is the Photo App, then that will also reset the "default" application and put it into the "What do you want to do with this file" mode. So, after doing that, if you were to click on an image file, it would ask what application you would want to open it in.
said by Mele20:

If I uninstalled movies,etc. from Metro then how would I open Power DVD and Cyberlink multimedia applications?

Yeah not sure on that one. I was going to answer with "Use Windows Media Player", but Microsoft took the DVD functionally out of it . I recall a program called VLC Media player that worked well on Windows XP to play DVD's, as Windows XP did not have a lot of the codecs built-in, and VLC Media Player did. No idea if that will run on Windows 8....
said by Mele20:

You reminded me that I need to install Winamp...glad it works on Win 8...half my applications will not work on Win8 even in XP compatibility mode. UGH.

Yup, Winamp Version 5.63 works great under Windows 8. I've used that for years for playing my mp3 files. On a side note, I made sure to only have mp3 files. I then took the time and effort to properly name them (Artist - Song Title.mp3). Once done, I cleared all information stored in the detail with each file, and went and researched it myself (for Title, Contributing Artists, Album Artist, Album, Year, and track #). What is nice is when you do that manually, and modify your settings in Winamp, you get what I have in the 2nd picture. Under Windows 7, I also went and manually downloaded the proper album art as well, and associated it with the proper song inside of Winamp. Wikipedia was my friend for that! With over 400 mp3 files, it took me quite a few weeks to do all that research. But now, I have a playlist that I know is 100% correct.

--Brian
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Mele20

Premium Member

Hmm...if I type photo on the Metro screen it says I have 4 apps and it also brought up 2 files that are pictures of tigers (but there are other pictures of tigers so why those two)? It also brought up one setting (where I set defaults for photos). The Photo Gallery is, I think, the one that comes up if you right click and choose preview on a Gadwin Print Screen file and the blue app does a montage of all your photos if you click a certain way, click another way and you get a slide show of all photo folders (geez...Microsoft just asked to update Windows Essentials...I don't even remember what that is...Photo Gallery is part of it I do recall that..so I let it update and then Microsoft wanted me to allow it to spy on how I use Windows Essentials...geez...I said no and I don't know if I like this WU setting I am using...it asks...doesn't just install automatically, but it doesn't like if I ignore it for awhile...but I use Windows Defender (for now at least) and I don't want to completely turn off WU). Anyhow, the blue photo app is really nice..then I have nVidia 3D photo app but it's turned off...I have no glasses for it.

Geez...I just found all sorts of crap on Metro I thought I had unnstalled...it all there and I can't uninstall...make any changes...UGH. It even says I have auto updating on for WU! I would NEVER EVER have that! Yep, WU had completely disrepected the setting I had and changed it to auto update for everything. I guess I can't use Windows Defender because I have to keep WU disabled completely since it won't respect my settings! That is HORRIBLE!

EDIT: I finally figured out how to uninstall the apps I didn't want on metro and how to change the settings for the ones I kept. It was the most UNINTUITIVE thing I have ever seen on any version of Windows. It is almost impossible to figure out how to do ANYTHING on that awful, insultingly childish looking metro screen. Then, when you get into changing anything, it is completely unintuitive and no guidance given at all. Stunningly horrible.

Windows 8 is mentally (and physically because of excessive clicking) EXHAUSTING. The commentators are correct. It is extremely difficult for the human brain to work like Win 8 forces one to do and thus exhausts one.
Mele20

Mele20 to R2

Premium Member

to R2
What is the point of default settings for programs when you cannot change the settings and you cannot UNINSTALL the crap either! I cannot remove that checkmark from the box and I cannot uninstall the app either...a whole ton of crap apps that I cannot uninstall! At least, I cannot uninstall them from Metro page and I cannot control them either. HORRIBLE.

freebird317
Premium Member
join:2004-02-23
Vancouver, WA

freebird317 to R2

Premium Member

to R2
»[WIN8] Windows 8 SUCKS!
freebird317

freebird317 to R2

Premium Member

to R2
»[WIN8] Windows 8 SUCKS!

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Click for full size
said by Mele20:

What is the point of default settings for programs when you cannot change the settings and you cannot UNINSTALL the crap either! I cannot remove that checkmark from the box and I cannot uninstall the app either...a whole ton of crap apps that I cannot uninstall! At least, I cannot uninstall them from Metro page and I cannot control them either. HORRIBLE.

First, let me list the default apps that come pre-installed on Window 8. These are what I consider "Metro Apps". All of them run inside of Metro aka the Start Screen, and do not run in Desktop mode.

•Weather
•Bing
•Maps
•Sports
•Finance
•Photos
•SkyDrive
•Music
•Video
•Games
•News
•Travel
•Camera
•Reader
•Messenging
•Calendar
•People
•Mail

There are two ways to "uninstall" the Metro Apps if you don't want them. The first I showed you a few posts back from the main (or first) start screen. You can also uninstall them from the "All Apps" screen (shown above).

What you do is right-click on the app that you want to remove. In my picture above, I did that on the "Travel" App. Doing so will highlight the tile (its not an icon anymore) and put a white check mark in the top right corner. At the bottom you will see two options: "Unpin from Start" and "Uninstall"

Click on "Uninstall" and it will remove the App from your system.

For my process, I uninstalled every app from the list above except for "Travel" and "News".

I believe the reason you cannot change the "Default behavior" for the Weather application you have in your last post is because it is the one that came from the App Store, and is one that I am calling a "Metro App". Its not a "desktop" or "Windows 7/Vista/XP" application that you installed yourself. Weather, as I noted above, comes pre-installed and came from the App Store.

--Brian
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Yes, thank you. I figured out how to do what you described from the all apps screen. The first way didn't work because I hid them and I didn't know how to find them and unhide them so I could uninstall them. I stumbled on the all apps screen and, like you said, was able to do it from there. i uninstalled all of them as they were very crude junk ...every one of them. I cannot believe Microsoft would go backwards like that to something you might expect on Windows 95 and even there nothing as crude and ugly, and obviously written for a 3 year old child, was in Win 95.

I was shocked when I looked at each of them. The graphics are so horrible that I felt insulted. Why did Microsoft write an OS for three year olds only? Everyone of them was very cartoonish in nature and revolting to look at. Plus, I couldn't stand the icons with such garish colors that are flat and blah. Those also are extremely cartoonish in nature and not for anyone above kindergarten age. Why would anyone, even with a tablet, want such crude, babyish icons and crude applications? A tablet or ultrabook is incapable of using decent, nice looking apps? If so, then why would anyone buy one of them? I had considered an expensive ultrabook but not with Win 8 on it...a touch screen ultra book would be nice but not with such a crude, childish, extremely ugly metro screen...why not some nice looking touch screen tiles and applications? A good video card is wasted if you don't stay on the desktop.

How did you get tools like Snipit and calculator on Metro? I didn't even know Snipit was installed on Win 8.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

Yes, thank you. I figured out how to do what you described from the all apps screen. The first way didn't work because I hid them and I didn't know how to find them and unhide them so I could uninstall them. I stumbled on the all apps screen and, like you said, was able to do it from there.

Not a problem. As I have said over and over, I don't mind helping people out. In fact, I enjoy it. I'm glad you were able to remove the apps that you don't use.

As far as what you have said about the style of the apps, and how they look....my understanding of that comes from the actual tablet hardware. In an effort to keep things lightweight, have longer battery life, and a reduction of heat, the graphics capability of a tablet is much less then a video card you will find on a desktop. Sure they say you can run HD video and all that, but if you notice, that's all that is running at the time. There is no way (as far as I can figure out) to have multiple browser windows open (for example) and have an HD Stream running in each like you could on your desktop. The power is just not there, and if they did have it, your battery life would not be as long, and that sucker would be hot enough to cook an egg on, let alone let you hold in it your hands for hours at a time. That is why (I feel) the graphics of "Metro" are the way they are, as they were designed to run on that kind of hardware.

Sure, if you look at Windows 7 with Aero and all that, Metro, if designed for today's video cards on a desktop (or even laptop), would look really kick butt! However, in an effort to try to "keep the look and feel the same between all devices", Microsoft took the path of least resistance, and this is what we have.
said by Mele20:

How did you get tools like Snipit and calculator on Metro? I didn't even know Snipit was installed on Win 8.

Well, like in Windows 7, the items that appear on your start menu are stored in one physical place on your hard drive.
The location is
•C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Any shortcut or sub-folder from there will show up on the "All Apps" screen in metro. When I install Windows 8, that area has a few things in it by default. To preserve it, I move them to a folder on my desktop, and then move them around as I see fit. The folders "Windows Accessories", "Windows System" and "Windows Ease of Access" were all created by default in that location. One of them had some sub-folders, which I removed and placed the icons for them in different folders. I found out through playing around with this that the "All Apps" area won't show sub-folders. For example, if the directory structure was

•C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Accessories\Folder 1

•C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Accessories\Folder 2

Metro would not display Folder 1 and Folder 2. Rather, it would put whatever icons it found there, as well as the ones from "Windows Accessories" all under the heading "Windows Accessories". So, to make things exactly match what is in the directory, when I built my system, I did just that. When everything was all said and done, I moved the folders from a temp folder on my desktop back to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, and the result is what you see in that screen.

In another thread, you had questions about Windows Update. Since I have to rebuild my box to verify a few things there for you, I'll make some screen shots of what the "All Apps" screen looks like for me after a default install, as well as what the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs directory looks like as well, and share them with you.

--Brian
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

i uninstalled all of them as they were very crude junk ...every one of them.

Are you sure they are actually gone from your computer? Or they just sit there, hidden from your view?

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by OZO:

said by Mele20:

Are you sure they are actually gone from your computer? Or they just sit there, hidden from your view?

Uninstalled market apps are deleted. Unpinned apps are still on the computer, and show up in "all apps"

We've covered that already in this thread, I believe.
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

Good to know that. Thanks.
Expand your moderator at work
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to JohnInSJ

to JohnInSJ

Re: [WIN8] Biggest gripe about Win 8...

said by JohnInSJ:

said by OZO:

said by Mele20:

Uninstalled market apps are deleted. Unpinned apps are still on the computer, and show up in "all apps"

The more nothing changes, the more they stay the same . . . or something like that.