kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to JohnInSJ

Re: [WIN8] Biggest gripe about Win 8...

said by JohnInSJ:

said by dave:

said by Shootist:

On a Desktop system I don't want ANY Power Options. I want it to run FULL POWER all the time.

What's the point of running the null thread at max frequency?

You can still set the power options for the CPU minimum to 100% - that will keep your power company happy and your fan well exercised.

Sure, but my question is why do that? When you don't need the CPU cycles, why insist on clocking it at full rate? Wait until you actually have the CPU demand.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
reply to dave
said by dave:

"Stuttering or choking" sounds like nonsense to me.

It was a problem in older hardware generations and I figured that is what Shootist was talking about. Starting with the Core2duo era I've been leaving power management enabled in most cases.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to dave
said by dave:

Sure, but my question is why do that? When you don't need the CPU cycles, why insist on clocking it at full rate? Wait until you actually have the CPU demand.

Yep, that's the reason for the second half of my comment, where I get all snarky.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to R2
If you want everything to open in desktop, go to Default Programs and click the Windows Photo Viewer and set all to default. Same thing with Media Player and others.

Did you try out the gestures yet? Did it makes it tons easier for you? Please to share your experience!

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
Speaking of the Windows photo viewer, why do I get a hideous black background with a smudgy looking "photo" (.png screenshot) if I double click the particular screenshot file in My Documents, but if I right click on the file name and choose "Preview" then I get Windows Photo Viewer without the horrible black background and a nice looking preview...no smudginess. Is this actually two different programs? Or double clicking gets Metro view and right click "preview" gets a different view? Is this because I didn't set Windows Photo Viewer to default? (At least I don't think I did. I set Fx as default so IE would not keep opening links but IE still opens many links becuse they are hard coded to IE).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
Probably. I know I uninstalled (not just unpinned) the Photo App from the metro screen.

When I did that, and double-clicked on a image file (I used a .jpg, which is what all my image files are), Windows 8 prompted me to ask what I wanted to use for images. I selected "Windows Photo Viewer" and all was well.

BTW, I did the same with music and movies (uninstalled the apps from inside of metro, and used Windows Media Player). For music, I just installed Winamp.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
I right clicked on a bunch of the applications on Metro screen and "deleted" them...but I assume they are just hidden now from view. If I actually uninstall them off Metro though then a search on Metro would not find them right? One thing I really like about Win 8 is search on Metro. But if I did want them uninstalled, not just hidden from Metro screen (unless I do a search), how do I uninstall them?

If I uninstalled movies,etc. from Metro then how would I open Power DVD and Cyberlink multimedia applications?

You reminded me that I need to install Winamp...glad it works on Win 8...half my applications will not work on Win8 even in XP compatibility mode. UGH.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by Mele20:

I right clicked on a bunch of the applications on Metro screen and "deleted" them...but I assume they are just hidden now from view. If I actually uninstall them off Metro though then a search on Metro would not find them right? One thing I really like about Win 8 is search on Metro. But if I did want them uninstalled, not just hidden from Metro screen (unless I do a search), how do I uninstall them?

See the 1st picture above. When you right-click on a Metro App (I used Travel or News), on the bottom you will see a set of options. I've put a red box around the one that says Uninstall. Doing that uninstalls that application from your system. If it is the Photo App, then that will also reset the "default" application and put it into the "What do you want to do with this file" mode. So, after doing that, if you were to click on an image file, it would ask what application you would want to open it in.

said by Mele20:

If I uninstalled movies,etc. from Metro then how would I open Power DVD and Cyberlink multimedia applications?

Yeah not sure on that one. I was going to answer with "Use Windows Media Player", but Microsoft took the DVD functionally out of it . I recall a program called VLC Media player that worked well on Windows XP to play DVD's, as Windows XP did not have a lot of the codecs built-in, and VLC Media Player did. No idea if that will run on Windows 8....

said by Mele20:

You reminded me that I need to install Winamp...glad it works on Win 8...half my applications will not work on Win8 even in XP compatibility mode. UGH.

Yup, Winamp Version 5.63 works great under Windows 8. I've used that for years for playing my mp3 files. On a side note, I made sure to only have mp3 files. I then took the time and effort to properly name them (Artist - Song Title.mp3). Once done, I cleared all information stored in the detail with each file, and went and researched it myself (for Title, Contributing Artists, Album Artist, Album, Year, and track #). What is nice is when you do that manually, and modify your settings in Winamp, you get what I have in the 2nd picture. Under Windows 7, I also went and manually downloaded the proper album art as well, and associated it with the proper song inside of Winamp. Wikipedia was my friend for that! With over 400 mp3 files, it took me quite a few weeks to do all that research. But now, I have a playlist that I know is 100% correct.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 edit
Hmm...if I type photo on the Metro screen it says I have 4 apps and it also brought up 2 files that are pictures of tigers (but there are other pictures of tigers so why those two)? It also brought up one setting (where I set defaults for photos). The Photo Gallery is, I think, the one that comes up if you right click and choose preview on a Gadwin Print Screen file and the blue app does a montage of all your photos if you click a certain way, click another way and you get a slide show of all photo folders (geez...Microsoft just asked to update Windows Essentials...I don't even remember what that is...Photo Gallery is part of it I do recall that..so I let it update and then Microsoft wanted me to allow it to spy on how I use Windows Essentials...geez...I said no and I don't know if I like this WU setting I am using...it asks...doesn't just install automatically, but it doesn't like if I ignore it for awhile...but I use Windows Defender (for now at least) and I don't want to completely turn off WU). Anyhow, the blue photo app is really nice..then I have nVidia 3D photo app but it's turned off...I have no glasses for it.

Geez...I just found all sorts of crap on Metro I thought I had unnstalled...it all there and I can't uninstall...make any changes...UGH. It even says I have auto updating on for WU! I would NEVER EVER have that! Yep, WU had completely disrepected the setting I had and changed it to auto update for everything. I guess I can't use Windows Defender because I have to keep WU disabled completely since it won't respect my settings! That is HORRIBLE!

EDIT: I finally figured out how to uninstall the apps I didn't want on metro and how to change the settings for the ones I kept. It was the most UNINTUITIVE thing I have ever seen on any version of Windows. It is almost impossible to figure out how to do ANYTHING on that awful, insultingly childish looking metro screen. Then, when you get into changing anything, it is completely unintuitive and no guidance given at all. Stunningly horrible.

Windows 8 is mentally (and physically because of excessive clicking) EXHAUSTING. The commentators are correct. It is extremely difficult for the human brain to work like Win 8 forces one to do and thus exhausts one.

--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to R2
What is the point of default settings for programs when you cannot change the settings and you cannot UNINSTALL the crap either! I cannot remove that checkmark from the box and I cannot uninstall the app either...a whole ton of crap apps that I cannot uninstall! At least, I cannot uninstall them from Metro page and I cannot control them either. HORRIBLE.
--

freebird317
Premium
join:2004-02-23
Vancouver, WA
reply to R2
»[WIN8] Windows 8 SUCKS!
--
Lead, Follow I do not care just get out of my way.

freebird317
Premium
join:2004-02-23
Vancouver, WA
reply to R2
»[WIN8] Windows 8 SUCKS!
--
Lead, Follow I do not care just get out of my way.

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
reply to Mele20
Click for full size
said by Mele20:

What is the point of default settings for programs when you cannot change the settings and you cannot UNINSTALL the crap either! I cannot remove that checkmark from the box and I cannot uninstall the app either...a whole ton of crap apps that I cannot uninstall! At least, I cannot uninstall them from Metro page and I cannot control them either. HORRIBLE.

First, let me list the default apps that come pre-installed on Window 8. These are what I consider "Metro Apps". All of them run inside of Metro aka the Start Screen, and do not run in Desktop mode.

•Weather
•Bing
•Maps
•Sports
•Finance
•Photos
•SkyDrive
•Music
•Video
•Games
•News
•Travel
•Camera
•Reader
•Messenging
•Calendar
•People
•Mail

There are two ways to "uninstall" the Metro Apps if you don't want them. The first I showed you a few posts back from the main (or first) start screen. You can also uninstall them from the "All Apps" screen (shown above).

What you do is right-click on the app that you want to remove. In my picture above, I did that on the "Travel" App. Doing so will highlight the tile (its not an icon anymore) and put a white check mark in the top right corner. At the bottom you will see two options: "Unpin from Start" and "Uninstall"

Click on "Uninstall" and it will remove the App from your system.

For my process, I uninstalled every app from the list above except for "Travel" and "News".

I believe the reason you cannot change the "Default behavior" for the Weather application you have in your last post is because it is the one that came from the App Store, and is one that I am calling a "Metro App". Its not a "desktop" or "Windows 7/Vista/XP" application that you installed yourself. Weather, as I noted above, comes pre-installed and came from the App Store.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
Yes, thank you. I figured out how to do what you described from the all apps screen. The first way didn't work because I hid them and I didn't know how to find them and unhide them so I could uninstall them. I stumbled on the all apps screen and, like you said, was able to do it from there. i uninstalled all of them as they were very crude junk ...every one of them. I cannot believe Microsoft would go backwards like that to something you might expect on Windows 95 and even there nothing as crude and ugly, and obviously written for a 3 year old child, was in Win 95.

I was shocked when I looked at each of them. The graphics are so horrible that I felt insulted. Why did Microsoft write an OS for three year olds only? Everyone of them was very cartoonish in nature and revolting to look at. Plus, I couldn't stand the icons with such garish colors that are flat and blah. Those also are extremely cartoonish in nature and not for anyone above kindergarten age. Why would anyone, even with a tablet, want such crude, babyish icons and crude applications? A tablet or ultrabook is incapable of using decent, nice looking apps? If so, then why would anyone buy one of them? I had considered an expensive ultrabook but not with Win 8 on it...a touch screen ultra book would be nice but not with such a crude, childish, extremely ugly metro screen...why not some nice looking touch screen tiles and applications? A good video card is wasted if you don't stay on the desktop.

How did you get tools like Snipit and calculator on Metro? I didn't even know Snipit was installed on Win 8.
--

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
said by Mele20:

Yes, thank you. I figured out how to do what you described from the all apps screen. The first way didn't work because I hid them and I didn't know how to find them and unhide them so I could uninstall them. I stumbled on the all apps screen and, like you said, was able to do it from there.

Not a problem. As I have said over and over, I don't mind helping people out. In fact, I enjoy it. I'm glad you were able to remove the apps that you don't use.

As far as what you have said about the style of the apps, and how they look....my understanding of that comes from the actual tablet hardware. In an effort to keep things lightweight, have longer battery life, and a reduction of heat, the graphics capability of a tablet is much less then a video card you will find on a desktop. Sure they say you can run HD video and all that, but if you notice, that's all that is running at the time. There is no way (as far as I can figure out) to have multiple browser windows open (for example) and have an HD Stream running in each like you could on your desktop. The power is just not there, and if they did have it, your battery life would not be as long, and that sucker would be hot enough to cook an egg on, let alone let you hold in it your hands for hours at a time. That is why (I feel) the graphics of "Metro" are the way they are, as they were designed to run on that kind of hardware.

Sure, if you look at Windows 7 with Aero and all that, Metro, if designed for today's video cards on a desktop (or even laptop), would look really kick butt! However, in an effort to try to "keep the look and feel the same between all devices", Microsoft took the path of least resistance, and this is what we have.

said by Mele20:

How did you get tools like Snipit and calculator on Metro? I didn't even know Snipit was installed on Win 8.

Well, like in Windows 7, the items that appear on your start menu are stored in one physical place on your hard drive.
The location is
•C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Any shortcut or sub-folder from there will show up on the "All Apps" screen in metro. When I install Windows 8, that area has a few things in it by default. To preserve it, I move them to a folder on my desktop, and then move them around as I see fit. The folders "Windows Accessories", "Windows System" and "Windows Ease of Access" were all created by default in that location. One of them had some sub-folders, which I removed and placed the icons for them in different folders. I found out through playing around with this that the "All Apps" area won't show sub-folders. For example, if the directory structure was

•C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Accessories\Folder 1

•C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Accessories\Folder 2

Metro would not display Folder 1 and Folder 2. Rather, it would put whatever icons it found there, as well as the ones from "Windows Accessories" all under the heading "Windows Accessories". So, to make things exactly match what is in the directory, when I built my system, I did just that. When everything was all said and done, I moved the folders from a temp folder on my desktop back to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs, and the result is what you see in that screen.

In another thread, you had questions about Windows Update. Since I have to rebuild my box to verify a few things there for you, I'll make some screen shots of what the "All Apps" screen looks like for me after a default install, as well as what the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs directory looks like as well, and share them with you.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

i uninstalled all of them as they were very crude junk ...every one of them.

Are you sure they are actually gone from your computer? Or they just sit there, hidden from your view?
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
said by OZO:

said by Mele20:

Are you sure they are actually gone from your computer? Or they just sit there, hidden from your view?

Uninstalled market apps are deleted. Unpinned apps are still on the computer, and show up in "all apps"

We've covered that already in this thread, I believe.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
Good to know that. Thanks.
Expand your moderator at work

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

said by OZO:

said by Mele20:

Uninstalled market apps are deleted. Unpinned apps are still on the computer, and show up in "all apps"

The more nothing changes, the more they stay the same . . . or something like that.
--
How nice. This country is being run by a broken record repeating the same two words over and over. Cretin.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to OZO
said by OZO:

said by Mele20:

Originally, they were just hidden from view because I didn't know how to correctly uninstall them. So, if I typed in "all apps" on the metro screen they would all appear in a column (not tiles because I hid the tiles). (I was in too much of a hurry to get rid of them. I should have taken my time and researched how to do it and then they would have been uninstalled on the first attempt instead of just hidden).

I uninstalled most of them after I learned how. I left "reader" (It is awful but I don't have Fx 17 ESR yet that has a builtin reader). I left Skype (I don't use it currently but I might sometime). I got rid of Bing and IE from Metro. Microsoft won't allow me to uninstall "Store" nor will it connect to "Store". It is supposed to connect even if I only have a local account (just can't buy unless I had a Microsoft account to connect with). I don't see why I can't uninstall it too.

The worrisome thing though is that on metro, if I type in "all apps" I get ZERO results so I would think they were all uninstalled. Not so, as if I type "reader", "store", "skype" those show up. Seems to me that something is wrong with search. I didn't uninstall those so they should show on "all apps' search but they don't. If I type in "Bing" it is not there. If I type in "Weather" it is not there.
--

plencnerb
Premium
Carpentersville, IL
Click for full size
Instead of typing in "All Apps" in the search, just right-click anywhere on the first screen (while not over an icon or tile), and you should see at the bottom the words "All Apps". Click on that, and it will take you to the 2nd Metro screen.

I'm back in Windows 7 right now, so I cannot get a screen capture to show you right at this second. But, hopefully you get the idea. The screen shot above is from the 2nd screen that comes up when you click on "All Apps" on the bottom of the first screen.

--Brian
--
--Brian Plencner

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA
kudos:1

2 edits
reply to R2
Sorry this got a little off track. No big deal. RazzyW8 (why aren't you a registered member??), I did look at the gestures, and YES I do like them. I also like the WinKey functions. For those of us who don't want to click links, here is what it is all about:

How To Use Windows 8's Gestures on a Laptop Trackpad

While Windows 8 may seem a bit out of place on hardware without a touch screen, trackpad gestures can help bridge the gap. Gestures on a trackpad work similarly to gestures on a touch screen. Instead of moving the cursor to the corners of the screen, you can swipe the trackpad to reveal hidden menus and pinch your fingers to zoom in and out.

Charms: To access the charms bar wherever you are in Windows, place your finger at the right side of your trackpad and swipe inwards. The charms will appear at the right side of your screen. You can also move your mouse cursor to the top or bottom right corners of your screen and then move the cursor towards the middle of your screen or press WinKey+C to access the charms.

Switcher: To access the new app switcher, place your finger at the left side of the trackpad and swipe inwards. The switcher will appear on the left side of your screen. You can also move your mouse to the top or bottom left corners of your screen and then move your cursor towards the middle of your screen or press the WinKey+Tab keyboard shortcut to use the switcher. Note that the switcher shows the entire Desktop, including all your desktop applications, as a single thumbnail. You can still use Alt+Tab to switch between desktop apps.

App Bar: Swipe down from the top edge of your trackpad to access the app bar, which contains an app¡¯s options. For example, in the ¡°Windows 8 interface¡± version of Internet Explorer, the app bar contains the address bar, tab thumbnails, and navigation buttons. You can also right-click anywhere in an app or press WinKey+Z to reveal the app bar.

Horizontal Scrolling: To scroll horizontally, place two fingers on the trackpad and move them from right to left or left to right. Windows 8¡¯s new interface uses horizontal scrolling in place of vertical scrolling, so this feels a bit more natural. You can also scroll horizontally by scrolling the mouse wheel up and down.

Zoom In and Out: To zoom in and out, use a pinch gesture. Place two fingers on the trackpad and move them towards each other to zoom in or move them apart to zoom out. You can also hold the Ctrl key and scroll your mouse wheel up and down or hold down the Ctrl key and use the + and ¨C keys to zoom in and out.

Rotate: You can rotate the screen by placing two fingers on the trackpad and moving them in a circle, as if you were turning a knob. This gesture may be disabled by default in your touchpad¡¯s configuration application, so you may have to re-enable it.

Since I grew up on old computers, I also like the WinKey Shortcuts:

Windows shell (Start screen)

The following Windows key shortcuts work in the new Windows shell/Start screen.

WINKEY - Toggles between the Start screen and the foremost running app (Metro-style) or the Windows Desktop.

WINKEY + 1, WINKEY + 2, etc. - Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and launch the nth shortcut in the Windows taskbar. So WINKEY + 1 would launch whichever application is first in the list, from left to right.

WINKEY + B - Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and select the tray notification area.

WINKEY + C - Display Charms and time/date/notification overlay. (Note that this shortcut displays the charms in the lower left of the screen and not on the right as would be the case using touch.)

WINKEY + D - Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and toggle Show Desktop (hides/shows any applications and other windows).

WINKEY + E. Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and launch Windows Explorer with Computer view displayed.

WINKEY + F - Search Files using the new Windows Search pane.

WINKEY + I - Display Settings pane for the Start screen (also provides access to Networks, Volume, Screen Brightness, Notifications, Power, and Language).

WINKEY + L - Lock PC and return to Lock screen.

WINKEY + M - Minimize the selected Explorer window.

WINKEY + O - Toggle orientation switching on slate and tablet PCs.

WINKEY + P - Display the new Project (for "projection") pane for choosing between available displays.

WINKEY + Q - Search (within) Apps using the new Windows Search pane.

WINKEY + R - Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and display the Run box.

WINKEY + U - Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and launch the Ease of Access Center.

WINKEY + X - Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and display the Windows Mobility Center application.

WINKEY + Z - Display the App Bar in a Metro-style app.

Note that tapping WINKEY + [any unsupported letter] will trigger a Search Apps (and classic applications) task using the new Windows Search pane, with the letter pre-typed in the search box. So WINKEY + A would start searching for apps (and applications) that include the letter 'a'. This is no different from simply tapping the letter 'a' at the Start screen, since any such typing starts the Search Apps task.

Windows desktop (classic)

The following Windows key shortcuts work in the classic Windows desktop. Note that while many of these shortcuts also work in Windows 7, some are new to Windows 8.

WINKEY - Toggles between the Windows desktop environment and the new Start screen.

WINKEY + 1, WINKEY + 2, etc. - Launch the nth shortcut in the Windows taskbar. So WINKEY + 1 would launch whichever application is first in the list, from left to right.

WINKEY + B - Select the tray notification area.

WINKEY + C - Display Charms and time/date/notification overlay.

WINKEY + D - Toggle Show Desktop (hides/shows any applications and other windows).

WINKEY + E. Launch Windows Explorer with Computer view displayed.

WINKEY + F - Search Files using the new Windows Search pane.

WINKEY + I - Display Settings pane for Windows Desktop (also provides access to Networks, Volume, Screen Brightness, Notifications, Power, and Language).

WINKEY + L - Lock PC and return to Lock screen.

WINKEY + M - Minimize the selected Explorer window.

WINKEY + O - Toggle orientation switching on slate and tablet PCs.

WINKEY + P - Display the new Project (for "projection") pane for choosing between available displays.

WINKEY + Q - Search (within) Apps using the new Windows Search pane.

WINKEY + R - Display Run box.

WINKEY + U - Launch Ease of Access Center.

WINKEY + W - Search Settings using the new Windows Search pane.

WINKEY + X - Display Windows Mobility Center application.

WINKEY + ARROW KEYS - Aero Snap.

Add (me again): the only thing I see (so far) that I disagree with is the WINKEY + X. This is really cool. Above mentions the "Mobility Center Application" - and I have NO idea what that is referring to. On my Win8 box, WinKey + X brings up an advanced Context Menu - similar to an old Start Menu.

If you haven't look at that before, give it a try....

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA

1 edit
reply to R2
And I finally got Quick Launch to work correctly. I also included a link to the all Start Menu / Programs folder! That helps a lot.

Kinda weird having rebuild new Windows to work like the old one, but it just seems to be a lot faster the old way... Time is important to me. Metro look is not.

Parting shot? The more I use Windows 8, the more I really love Windows 7.

It just seems like Windows 8 will end up in same category as Microsoft Bob, WindowsMe, and Vista... Sorry.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 recommendation

That's what Microsoft gets when trying to combine Mobile and Desktop interfaces into one big mess. Keep them separate where they belong.

Windows 8 just should've just built upon and improved Windows 7 with none of the Mobile OS garbage.
Expand your moderator at work

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA
reply to kickass69

Agreed. I think they likely have the correct idea - the future IS touch screens for all. And Win 8 certainly seems to be a big step in that direction. However, they seem to have forgotten that not all of us have touch screens yet!! A simple mechanism to "turn off" the touch screen design and revert to a Win 7 style would have been appreciated.

Oh, I found this program to bring back the Start Menu. I have not yet installed it, but I will and I'll post back...
»www.stardock.com/products/start8/

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
I'm more productive with an actual keyboard and mouse than I ever will be with a touchscreen with a silly on screen keyboard. It's also more ergonomic to use a mouse than using a touchscreen to do work or personal things all day long. Using a stylus wouldn't be as bad even.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to R2
That program has been praised here several times. I may try it but what I want is XP style not Windows 7 Start which I don't like any better than Windows 8.

I noticed at Startdock's site on the screenshot for Power Options that they did not include "shut down"! Obviously, they don't think anyone has desktops! I would not want to pay even a small fee for something designed for laptops when I have a NEW desktop. My options are Restart, Shutdown. I would use hibernate only through UPS software for when the electrical power actually goes off. Otherwise, my computers are always on ....NEVER EVER sleep or hibernate.
--