Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to OZO

Re: [WIN8] Biggest gripe about Win 8...

said by OZO:

said by Mele20:

i uninstalled all of them as they were very crude junk ...every one of them.

Are you sure they are actually gone from your computer? Or they just sit there, hidden from your view?

Originally, they were just hidden from view because I didn't know how to correctly uninstall them. So, if I typed in "all apps" on the metro screen they would all appear in a column (not tiles because I hid the tiles). (I was in too much of a hurry to get rid of them. I should have taken my time and researched how to do it and then they would have been uninstalled on the first attempt instead of just hidden).

I uninstalled most of them after I learned how. I left "reader" (It is awful but I don't have Fx 17 ESR yet that has a builtin reader). I left Skype (I don't use it currently but I might sometime). I got rid of Bing and IE from Metro. Microsoft won't allow me to uninstall "Store" nor will it connect to "Store". It is supposed to connect even if I only have a local account (just can't buy unless I had a Microsoft account to connect with). I don't see why I can't uninstall it too.

The worrisome thing though is that on metro, if I type in "all apps" I get ZERO results so I would think they were all uninstalled. Not so, as if I type "reader", "store", "skype" those show up. Seems to me that something is wrong with search. I didn't uninstall those so they should show on "all apps' search but they don't. If I type in "Bing" it is not there. If I type in "Weather" it is not there.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

Click for full size
Instead of typing in "All Apps" in the search, just right-click anywhere on the first screen (while not over an icon or tile), and you should see at the bottom the words "All Apps". Click on that, and it will take you to the 2nd Metro screen.

I'm back in Windows 7 right now, so I cannot get a screen capture to show you right at this second. But, hopefully you get the idea. The screen shot above is from the 2nd screen that comes up when you click on "All Apps" on the bottom of the first screen.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA
kudos:1

2 edits
reply to R2

Sorry this got a little off track. No big deal. RazzyW8 (why aren't you a registered member??), I did look at the gestures, and YES I do like them. I also like the WinKey functions. For those of us who don't want to click links, here is what it is all about:

How To Use Windows 8's Gestures on a Laptop Trackpad

While Windows 8 may seem a bit out of place on hardware without a touch screen, trackpad gestures can help bridge the gap. Gestures on a trackpad work similarly to gestures on a touch screen. Instead of moving the cursor to the corners of the screen, you can swipe the trackpad to reveal hidden menus and pinch your fingers to zoom in and out.

Charms: To access the charms bar wherever you are in Windows, place your finger at the right side of your trackpad and swipe inwards. The charms will appear at the right side of your screen. You can also move your mouse cursor to the top or bottom right corners of your screen and then move the cursor towards the middle of your screen or press WinKey+C to access the charms.

Switcher: To access the new app switcher, place your finger at the left side of the trackpad and swipe inwards. The switcher will appear on the left side of your screen. You can also move your mouse to the top or bottom left corners of your screen and then move your cursor towards the middle of your screen or press the WinKey+Tab keyboard shortcut to use the switcher. Note that the switcher shows the entire Desktop, including all your desktop applications, as a single thumbnail. You can still use Alt+Tab to switch between desktop apps.

App Bar: Swipe down from the top edge of your trackpad to access the app bar, which contains an app¡¯s options. For example, in the ¡°Windows 8 interface¡± version of Internet Explorer, the app bar contains the address bar, tab thumbnails, and navigation buttons. You can also right-click anywhere in an app or press WinKey+Z to reveal the app bar.

Horizontal Scrolling: To scroll horizontally, place two fingers on the trackpad and move them from right to left or left to right. Windows 8¡¯s new interface uses horizontal scrolling in place of vertical scrolling, so this feels a bit more natural. You can also scroll horizontally by scrolling the mouse wheel up and down.

Zoom In and Out: To zoom in and out, use a pinch gesture. Place two fingers on the trackpad and move them towards each other to zoom in or move them apart to zoom out. You can also hold the Ctrl key and scroll your mouse wheel up and down or hold down the Ctrl key and use the + and ¨C keys to zoom in and out.

Rotate: You can rotate the screen by placing two fingers on the trackpad and moving them in a circle, as if you were turning a knob. This gesture may be disabled by default in your touchpad¡¯s configuration application, so you may have to re-enable it.

Since I grew up on old computers, I also like the WinKey Shortcuts:

Windows shell (Start screen)

The following Windows key shortcuts work in the new Windows shell/Start screen.

WINKEY - Toggles between the Start screen and the foremost running app (Metro-style) or the Windows Desktop.

WINKEY + 1, WINKEY + 2, etc. - Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and launch the nth shortcut in the Windows taskbar. So WINKEY + 1 would launch whichever application is first in the list, from left to right.

WINKEY + B - Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and select the tray notification area.

WINKEY + C - Display Charms and time/date/notification overlay. (Note that this shortcut displays the charms in the lower left of the screen and not on the right as would be the case using touch.)

WINKEY + D - Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and toggle Show Desktop (hides/shows any applications and other windows).

WINKEY + E. Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and launch Windows Explorer with Computer view displayed.

WINKEY + F - Search Files using the new Windows Search pane.

WINKEY + I - Display Settings pane for the Start screen (also provides access to Networks, Volume, Screen Brightness, Notifications, Power, and Language).

WINKEY + L - Lock PC and return to Lock screen.

WINKEY + M - Minimize the selected Explorer window.

WINKEY + O - Toggle orientation switching on slate and tablet PCs.

WINKEY + P - Display the new Project (for "projection") pane for choosing between available displays.

WINKEY + Q - Search (within) Apps using the new Windows Search pane.

WINKEY + R - Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and display the Run box.

WINKEY + U - Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and launch the Ease of Access Center.

WINKEY + X - Switch to the (classic) Windows desktop and display the Windows Mobility Center application.

WINKEY + Z - Display the App Bar in a Metro-style app.

Note that tapping WINKEY + [any unsupported letter] will trigger a Search Apps (and classic applications) task using the new Windows Search pane, with the letter pre-typed in the search box. So WINKEY + A would start searching for apps (and applications) that include the letter 'a'. This is no different from simply tapping the letter 'a' at the Start screen, since any such typing starts the Search Apps task.

Windows desktop (classic)

The following Windows key shortcuts work in the classic Windows desktop. Note that while many of these shortcuts also work in Windows 7, some are new to Windows 8.

WINKEY - Toggles between the Windows desktop environment and the new Start screen.

WINKEY + 1, WINKEY + 2, etc. - Launch the nth shortcut in the Windows taskbar. So WINKEY + 1 would launch whichever application is first in the list, from left to right.

WINKEY + B - Select the tray notification area.

WINKEY + C - Display Charms and time/date/notification overlay.

WINKEY + D - Toggle Show Desktop (hides/shows any applications and other windows).

WINKEY + E. Launch Windows Explorer with Computer view displayed.

WINKEY + F - Search Files using the new Windows Search pane.

WINKEY + I - Display Settings pane for Windows Desktop (also provides access to Networks, Volume, Screen Brightness, Notifications, Power, and Language).

WINKEY + L - Lock PC and return to Lock screen.

WINKEY + M - Minimize the selected Explorer window.

WINKEY + O - Toggle orientation switching on slate and tablet PCs.

WINKEY + P - Display the new Project (for "projection") pane for choosing between available displays.

WINKEY + Q - Search (within) Apps using the new Windows Search pane.

WINKEY + R - Display Run box.

WINKEY + U - Launch Ease of Access Center.

WINKEY + W - Search Settings using the new Windows Search pane.

WINKEY + X - Display Windows Mobility Center application.

WINKEY + ARROW KEYS - Aero Snap.

Add (me again): the only thing I see (so far) that I disagree with is the WINKEY + X. This is really cool. Above mentions the "Mobility Center Application" - and I have NO idea what that is referring to. On my Win8 box, WinKey + X brings up an advanced Context Menu - similar to an old Start Menu.

If you haven't look at that before, give it a try....

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA

1 edit
reply to R2

And I finally got Quick Launch to work correctly. I also included a link to the all Start Menu / Programs folder! That helps a lot.

Kinda weird having rebuild new Windows to work like the old one, but it just seems to be a lot faster the old way... Time is important to me. Metro look is not.

Parting shot? The more I use Windows 8, the more I really love Windows 7.

It just seems like Windows 8 will end up in same category as Microsoft Bob, WindowsMe, and Vista... Sorry.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 recommendation

That's what Microsoft gets when trying to combine Mobile and Desktop interfaces into one big mess. Keep them separate where they belong.

Windows 8 just should've just built upon and improved Windows 7 with none of the Mobile OS garbage.

Expand your moderator at work

R2
R Not
Premium,MVM
Long Beach, CA
reply to kickass69

Agreed. I think they likely have the correct idea - the future IS touch screens for all. And Win 8 certainly seems to be a big step in that direction. However, they seem to have forgotten that not all of us have touch screens yet!! A simple mechanism to "turn off" the touch screen design and revert to a Win 7 style would have been appreciated.

Oh, I found this program to bring back the Start Menu. I have not yet installed it, but I will and I'll post back...
»www.stardock.com/products/start8/

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I'm more productive with an actual keyboard and mouse than I ever will be with a touchscreen with a silly on screen keyboard. It's also more ergonomic to use a mouse than using a touchscreen to do work or personal things all day long. Using a stylus wouldn't be as bad even.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to R2

That program has been praised here several times. I may try it but what I want is XP style not Windows 7 Start which I don't like any better than Windows 8.

I noticed at Startdock's site on the screenshot for Power Options that they did not include "shut down"! Obviously, they don't think anyone has desktops! I would not want to pay even a small fee for something designed for laptops when I have a NEW desktop. My options are Restart, Shutdown. I would use hibernate only through UPS software for when the electrical power actually goes off. Otherwise, my computers are always on ....NEVER EVER sleep or hibernate.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Tel

join:2001-10-12
Mauldin, SC
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

said by Mele20:

That program has been praised here several times. I may try it but what I want is XP style not Windows 7 Start which I don't like any better than Windows 8.

I noticed at Startdock's site on the screenshot for Power Options that they did not include "shut down"! Obviously, they don't think anyone has desktops! I would not want to pay even a small fee for something designed for laptops when I have a NEW desktop. My options are Restart, Shutdown. I would use hibernate only through UPS software for when the electrical power actually goes off. Otherwise, my computers are always on ....NEVER EVER sleep or hibernate.

I'm not sure what shutdown you're talking about but Start8 has the same shutdown option as previous versions of the Start menu. You can choose any option you like.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

I looked at this example:
»www.stardock.com/products/start8···n8/8.png

But I made the mistake of looking at the ADDITIONAL options instead of the main button.The main button would be "shutdown". Sorry.
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to kickass69

said by kickass69:

I'm more productive with an actual keyboard and mouse than I ever will be with a touchscreen with a silly on screen keyboard. It's also more ergonomic to use a mouse than using a touchscreen to do work or personal things all day long. Using a stylus wouldn't be as bad even.

You'd be an ideal candidate for Windows 8 with a touch screen, keyboard, and mouse. You'd use your keyboard and mouse for most things, and the touch interface when that made sense.

That's actually the surface use model - you can use it pure touch, but you can use it with the keyboard/trackpad or even keyboard/mouse if that works better for you. You should check out the Surface Pro models when they land early next year.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

kickass69

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Once Microsoft announced the pricing for the Surface Pro models, my interest plummeted. Way too much money for what they want. I don't want an all-in-one solution where I'm using such a small screen regardless of resolution. Besides I can already use Office on the go with my laptop as it is. I like my two 32 inch 2 screen setup for my work and personal environments. When I don't have that available I'd prefer using a laptop with a 17.3 inch screen with the ability to HDMI out to an external monitor much more.

Out of all of that using touchscreen for anything more than personal entertainment doesn't appeal at all to me.

Expand your moderator at work

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to kickass69

said by kickass69:

Once Microsoft announced the pricing for the Surface Pro models, my interest plummeted. Way too much money for what they want. I don't want an all-in-one solution where I'm using such a small screen regardless of resolution. Besides I can already use Office on the go with my laptop as it is. I like my two 32 inch 2 screen setup for my work and personal environments. When I don't have that available I'd prefer using a laptop with a 17.3 inch screen with the ability to HDMI out to an external monitor much more.

Out of all of that using touchscreen for anything more than personal entertainment doesn't appeal at all to me.

The Microsoft Surface Pro is nothing new. The Windows 8 x86-x64 PC tablets of today have predecessors in what was the established Windows 7 x86-x64 PC tablet market of yesterday. Since the forerunner pricing was well known it was easy to predict the price range for newer Windows 8 tablets using similar but updated hardware.

The Asus Eee Slate EP121 Core i5 PC tablet and Samsung Series 7 tablets were good models for hardware / price prediction. Both product lines were about ~$1000 and up when they were new.

If anything is surprising about Windows 8 PC tablet pricing of this class of hardware its that the price is slightly lower.