Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6

1 edit

[Wireless] WRT54GL install questions...

Four years or so ago I had asked about the install CD containing Norton
»WRT54GL setup CD with Norton Virus & Security question

and I never did get around to installing the WRT54G router....i have been using a wired D-Link EBR-2310 which has worked flawless and when I want to use one of my laptops I just run it wired....I am a family of 1 and never really had the need for wireless even though it would be nice at times during the summer months to sit out on the deck and get online.

Now to my current situation...a long time friend of mine who will soon be in town and will be staying in the guest bedroom in my home for a month or maybe longer...she has a laptop running Windows 7 I believe she said and also has a iPod touch generation 4....

So instead of running long cables to the guest bedroom I figured this is a good reason to finally getting the WRT54GL installed.....but my tech knowledge is very close to zilch...

I have for internet OOL and a Arris TM822 router....If I install the WRT54G I take it there will be a password I will create somewhere during the set-up and this password I will give to her? We're close friends so trust is not an issue.

First question I have is if I use the set up CD that came in the box can I remove the Norton once everything is installed through CCleaner Remove programs?

Would I be better to not use the CD?

Any tips or suggestions on any settings I should set things at on the WRT54G?

I plan on starting by turning everything off and then disconnecting my current D-Link router and then connecting the WRT54G to power source and to my one wired desktop and to take things from there..

So any help, suggestions, advice or links to follow before I start will be greatly appreciated. I am especially concerned about security settings so nobody but her and I can access the wireless router.

Thanks.

Kyawa
Premium
join:2006-01-26
Middletown, MD

1 edit

1 recommendation

Re: [Wireless] WRT54G install questions...

Plug your PC directly to a numbered port on the Linksys-disconnect it from the DLink. Reboot your PC. To connect to the Linksys, type 192.168.1.1 in a web browser. There is no username for the Linksys and the passworkd is admin.

In the main setup screen, disable DHCP. Change the LAN IP to match the subnet of the DLInk. If you're using the factory configuration of the DLink, the routers address is 192.168.0.1. Set the Linksys LAN IP to 192.168.0.225. Click on save at the bottom. Chances are the screen will freeze.

Disconnect the Linksys from your PC and connect the Linksys to the DLINK. Use a numbered port on both sides. Reconnect your PC to the DLink. Reboot your PC.

To get back to the Linksys, open a browser and type 192.168.0.225. No username and admin as the password. You can now set up the wireless stuff.

sailor
Premium
Long Island

Thank you for that but I have a feeling that it might be a bit over my head....but first I need to ask why keep both the D-Link and the WRT54G? ( all this is so new and like foreign to me so please do bear with me )

Kyawa
Premium
Middletown, MD
reply to sailor

Easier

sailor
Premium
Long Island

Ok, I'm all for easier...Thanks!

Kyawa
Premium
Middletown, MD
reply to sailor

That wat when your friend leaves you can just unplug it.

sailor
Premium
Long Island

Re: [Wireless] WRT54GL install questions...

Ok, but I would use the wireless myself with one of my laptops and especially so in the spring/summer from out on my deck...

Would the setup you recommend still be the way for me to initially set up?

I actually would like to experience the set up with the set up CD that came with it but I don't want Norton to automatically be installed on my computer from the CD...I don't want anything to do with Norton.

Also, I made a error in the model # I said it is WRT54G but I see now it is actually a WRT54GL....

Don't know having an L at the end of the model number makes a difference or not but I did edit the title of this thread to now show the correct model #

Thank you for your help.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

2 edits

2 recommendations

As you can see, that Linksys CD is "crapware" marketeering at best and a piece of junk at worst. I cannot explicitly say what it does but welcome someone to chime in if they do. Very few in this forum would consider using one.

Kyawa See Profile gave you an excellent optimal solution. Call it AP-only bridged (right? ).

There is, however, less optimal options that may be even easier. Others would call it unwanted double-NAT and wireless and wired would be on separate networks and, thus, be unable to do easy same-network file or printer sharing. But wired and wireless would both have internet just fine. From a security standpoint it's slightly MORE secure - wireless is isolated from wired a little better.

It would literally be like wired and wireless were at different places. You wouldn't have a nice network both were on.

It would be as easy as plugging in the factory-default WRT54GL WAN/Internet to an unused port on the DLink and only setting up wireless security on the WRT54GL. Easily unplugged with no affect, too.

I am assuming your DLink is at 192.168.0.1 because that's its default. To work, it would have to be a different network than the Linksys at 192.168.1.1 - and if everything is defaults it should already be.

Sound better? Hope this makes sense.

EDIT: The WRT54GL is the same solution so don't worry about that. Most of us here would want a WRT54GL over a WRT54G anyway.

sailor
Premium
Long Island

Thanks for your help and support as yes, I do feel better.

sailor
Premium
Long Island

2 edits
reply to Kyawa

Edit: Disregard

sailor
Premium
Long Island
reply to Kyawa

said by Kyawa:

Plug your PC directly to a numbered port on the Linksys-disconnect it from the DLink. Reboot your PC. To connect to the Linksys, type 192.168.1.1 in a web browser. There is no username for the Linksys and the passworkd is admin.

In the main setup screen, disable DHCP. Change the LAN IP to match the subnet of the DLInk. If you're using the factory configuration of the DLink, the routers address is 192.168.0.1. Set the Linksys LAN IP to 192.168.0.225. Click on save at the bottom. Chances are the screen will freeze.

Disconnect the Linksys from your PC and connect the Linksys to the DLINK. Use a numbered port on both sides. Reconnect your PC to the DLink. Reboot your PC.

To get back to the Linksys, open a browser and type 192.168.0.225. No username and admin as the password. You can now set up the wireless stuff.

You the man! It took me a couple of tries but got it to work by following your instructions....

After all reboots I took my laptop into the guest bedroom and saw the network name I made and went to connect and it said to enter passphrase or password and so I entered the 10 digit password I made and presto, instantly online....

So thank you so very much...

One question I do have is under security it asked me to enter a passprhase and then to hit generate but I left that blank and just entered on line 1 below that a 10 digit unique number....and then hit save..

I used that 10 digit number on my laptop in the guest room and it worked perfectly....

So is it ok if I just give her the 10 digit number and tell her to use it to get online?..Also will she be able to see anything on my desktop or me on her laptop? Or is it just internet connection via my account she will be getting?

Thanks again and here are a couple of screenshots I took...Please let me know if they look ok.

sailor
Premium
Long Island
reply to Bill_MI

And thanks to you also Bill.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
Royal Oak, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

1 recommendation

Great you got it going!

You did mention security so I can't let this slide. "WEP" has been security broken for many years.

I'm looking at a mock-up of the WRT54GL here: »ui.linksys.com/files/WRT54GL/4.3···etup.htm

I very highly suggest switching to:

WPA2 Personal
AES (add TKIP+AES only for some very old compatibility, it may slow things)
Key: at least 10 characters of jibberish NOT in any dictionary. That's important. A number isn't really super secure.

Good luck!

sailor
Premium
Long Island

Click for full size
Using your mock up example in this screenshot do I put my 10 character jibberesh on the line where it says WPA Shared Key?

And if yes, do I then give my house guest the 10 character jibberish and that is what she will enter to sign on from her laptop?

Thanks for the security heads-up...I will change it.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
Royal Oak, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

1 recommendation

Exactly right on all counts.

I didn't explain "jibberish". It's best to include upper case, lower case, numbers and symbols. like He&4S9@mv6

Although a lot of people use the fact LENGTH makes more difference than complexity so you can actually come up with something highly secure yet easy to remember like Dog777777777777&&&&&&&&&&&&123JJJJJJJJJJJJ

If you're interested in this sort of thing, check out:
»www.grc.com/passwords.htm
»www.grc.com/haystack.htm

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

1 recommendation

reply to Bill_MI

quote:
I cannot explicitly say what it does but welcome someone to chime in if they do. Very few in this forum would consider using one.
I believe all it does is allow the user to enter the setup values to set up the router - without actually logging into the router.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
Royal Oak, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

1 recommendation

said by CylonRed:

I believe all it does is allow the user to enter the setup values to set up the router - without actually logging into the router.

Thanks, CylonRed See Profile. It's obvious they treat it as a marketing opportunity, too. With Cisco/Linksys showing what lengths they'd go with their EA line, I'd personally treat such CDs as suspected malware.

sailor
Premium
Long Island

1 edit
reply to Kyawa

said by Kyawa:

Update January 6, 2013

My company came and went and the wireless worked great for her...Thank you.

Now my question..

I have no need to use the wireless at this time but would like to use it in the spring and summer when I can sit out on my deck and use it.

So is there a simple thing I can do to disconnect the wireless access now and then simply reconnect it in the spring without disconnecting the entire thing?

Like unplug one cable to kill the wireless and then replug the cable to reconnect it without having to screw around with any other settings or cables?

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

Go into the wireless setup and disable the wireless. Easy as that.

sailor
Premium
Long Island

said by CylonRed:

Go into the wireless setup and disable the wireless. Easy as that.

Is that as simple as checking off Disable as shown in screenshot?

Kyawa
Premium
Middletown, MD
reply to sailor

Leaving it on would do no harm. No one can get in without the key.

hardly
Premium
join:2004-02-10
USA
reply to sailor

The option referenced in your screenshot only disables SSID broadcast. I does not disable wireless operation. Keep looking.

sailor
Premium
Long Island

said by hardly:

The option referenced in your screenshot only disables SSID broadcast. I does not disable wireless operation. Keep looking.

getting warmer?

sailor
Premium
Long Island
reply to Kyawa

said by Kyawa:

Leaving it on would do no harm. No one can get in without the key.

But what if I lose key to my front door?

hardly
Premium
join:2004-02-10
USA

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to sailor

Click for full size
what you are seeking
That one disables security. It does not disable wireless operation.
Keep looking.

edit: added screenshot

sailor
Premium
Long Island

said by hardly:

That one disables security. It does not disable wireless operation.
Keep looking.