All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
RD5
join:2012-02-01

RD5

number porting failed

I had already purchased a config file from FreePhoneLine (Fongo) to test the service with my hardware before porting my normal phone number to the service.

I just found out they are not able to port my phone number as they do not support the area.

I have searched and found two other VOIP providers which indicate that my number can be ported to them (Versature and VoiceMeUp).

If I port my number to one of these providers first, should I then be able to port my number from them to FPL?
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango

Premium Member

Unfortunately no. Whether you can port a number depends on if your service provider's carrier (in this case Fibernetics) has presence in your rate centre. If you port to Versature or VoiceMeUp first, your rate centre does not change.

m.
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to RD5

Premium Member

to RD5
Is your number in one of the rate centres that FPL accepts porting? If not, as Mango See Profile said, it doesn't matter if you take a circuitous porting route FPL still won't be able to port in. So if that's the case you'll need to find another provider or stay with your current one.

»support.freephoneline.ca ··· rch&pn=1

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro to RD5

to RD5
When you opened your FreePhoneLine account were you able to get a number in your area ?
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx

Premium Member

That method of checkIng doesn't always work as there are instances where a provider will provide new numbers in a rate centre but will not port in due to issues with the incumbent.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by decx:

That method of checkIng doesn't always work as there are instances where a provider will provide new numbers in a rate centre but will not port in due to issues with the incumbent.

1+

And IIRC it sometimes works the other way too.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

2 edits

Davesnothere to decx

Premium Member

to decx
said by decx:

Yes, and (according to my personal research) sometimes the exact reverse is true.

That is, the end VoIP provider CAN port in another number for a given rate centre, but do not offer fresh ones there.

This limitation ALSO depends on who are the CLEC(s) and ILEC in the area in question, and whether or not the CLEC(s) have a prescence there.

Case in point :

Anveo could not offer me a new number in my exact municipality (next local call city instead), but so far say that they WILL be able to port in my number which was originally issued by the ILEC here.

BTW, the CLEC for my temporary Anveo number in this case is Iristel.

I have encountered other examples of this - I think that one was with lookups at VOIP.MS and another with AcroVoice.

= = = = = = =

EDIT : Shit, that's what I get for being verbose, er, I mean thorough.

Though I figure that I began writing my post first, the good Doctor scooped me.