how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

offthewall
Premium
join:2002-05-22
Caldwell, NJ

Actiontec rev I - any reason to run own router?

With the latest Actiontec rev I, is there any reason for running your own router with the three router setup?

Mostly curiosity. I know in the past the Actiontec's had insufficient NAT tables and some here went through the trouble of setting up their own router as the primary. Just wondering if there were any reasons to do this anymore that I'm missing.

Thanks.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
IMO, there is no reason not to run the rev. I.

Here's a slightly dated post about the reasons people run their own routers:
»Re: [northeast] I see different routers in use - best to ask for
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

matthewh16

join:2010-05-21
Culver City, CA
I run a rev I with no issues what so ever. I do have a second router (running DD-WRT) hanging off of it in Dual-Band Wireless N-Only AP mode for full speed N as Verizon's WirelessN has always seemed lacking.

offthewall
Premium
Caldwell, NJ
said by matthewh16:

I run a rev I with no issues what so ever. I do have a second router (running DD-WRT) hanging off of it in Dual-Band Wireless N-Only AP mode for full speed N as Verizon's WirelessN has always seemed lacking.

Yes, I also run two Apple Airport Extremes in Bridge mode (one at each end of the house via ethernet) to supply 801.11n wireless. I have the wireless in the Actiontec turned off.

matthewh16

join:2010-05-21
Culver City, CA
said by offthewall:

Yes, I also run two Apple Airport Extremes in Bridge mode (one at each end of the house via ethernet) to supply 801.11n wireless. I have the wireless in the Actiontec turned off.

If you're having no issues, I'd just stick with that setup then.

offthewall
Premium
Caldwell, NJ
said by matthewh16:

If you're having no issues, I'd just stick with that setup then.

That's the conclusion I came to myself after reading all the Actiontec threads and the specs on the Rev I. Things are good so far. I was just checking with the forum to see if I was missing anything. Seems not. Thanks all.

v12v9

join:2008-09-18
reply to offthewall
For the ones who think Verizon has a backdoor in the Actiontec and into people's LAN, turning off the radio on the Actiontec does nothing to address that issue, does it?

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
said by v12v9:

For the ones who think Verizon has a backdoor in the Actiontec and into people's LAN, turning off the radio on the Actiontec does nothing to address that issue, does it?

No