San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to OZO

MVM

to OZO

Re: Microsoft STALKS YOU Even More Than Supermarkets Do

Another vague response. While it is galling to think that I am not getting a cut of the profit from selling my data, just what percentage could I expect? They make money on the aggregate data; my cut would probably be $0.05 per month. And its not like they are stealing nickels out of my pocket.

Spam is a whole subject in its own right, but has no bearing on tracking; other than the spammers can track spam readers ... maybe.

Others will do it on my behalf, and there is precious little I can do to prevent it. I have been forged in e-mail, and in the Usenet. The only way I could have mitigated those forgeries would have been to not use e-mail and not post to the Usenet.

If I had the discipline to successfully impersonate another person, I could probably easily avoid online trackers; or at least deflect them in a direction I desire. But I don't feel like spending my entire online experience in a state of "Condition Red". It is psychologically exhausting; and with one mistake it is, "Game Over".
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

You don't get it, do you?

You're feeding your tracker. Nothing will stop them in their intrusiveness and trashing you in the process, but you...

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1

Premium Member

said by OZO:

You don't get it, do you?

You're feeding your tracker. Nothing will stop them in their intrusiveness and trashing you in the process, but you...

I think he DOES get it. I don't particularly like Microsoft's business practices either, but the idea that by visiting one of their sites I'm going to get "trashed" is firmly in the tin-foil-reflector-beanie realm.

Like I said, in all likelihood, if someone chooses to browse in a way that MSN or whomever likes, all they're really going to get is targeted ads. If that bothers a person, lots they can do to avoid it. But it might not particularly bother some people. To each their own.