Search similar:

uniqs
rabeatz
join:2012-11-26
Winter Springs, FL

1 recommendation

rabeatz

Using CableCard/HDhomerun Prime? Feedback Wanted

Looking to hear from others using this kind of setup, or a cablecard tuner of any sort (I could probably list all of them with the fingers on one hand). I just got my HDHomerun Prime working (after lots of fun), and trying to see if anyone else is using it and how they have it set up.

Those of you that have this setup know that pretty much everything (EVERYTHING) is set to copy-once. It's my understanding that Windows Media Center is the only interface that can correctly view these channels for live viewing - and record. I find this disappointing because it takes many great interfaces out of the picture - XBMC, MediaPortal, NextPVR, MythTV, etc.

I don't necessarily want to use Windows Media Center for all my viewing, i Don't mind if it's for recording though. Has any one had any success setting up something other than WMC to view these channels? If so, what worked for you?

If Windows Media Center is the only way to go, what are you using for extenders?

I was hoping to utilize XBMC in my setup but it seems that idea is not going to work. I'd just like to hear from others using it what kind of solutions they've implemented.
bgarson20088
join:2010-09-29
Windermere, FL

bgarson20088

I run an HDhomerun Prime in my setup and I love it. The only available option for you in regards to copy-once recording is going to be Windows Media Center. There are currently only two options for extenders. One being the Xbox 360 and two being the Ceton Echo. The Echo just wrapped up its private beta and it has great promise.
rabeatz
Winter Springs, FL

rabeatz

Seen the echo, but for that price I could build a Mini-PC with alot more capabilities. The extenders are so expensive.

I do have an Xbox 360, but that thing runs hot.

Are you able to VIEW your channels in anything other than WMC? I can't get my system to properly tune most of the channels unless I'm doing it in Windows Media Center. I don't care about recording as much as I'd like to be able to view the channels live outside of WMC (Windows Media Center).
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to rabeatz

Premium Member

to rabeatz
Bumping this because I know we have several people who can help with this...
rabeatz
Winter Springs, FL

rabeatz

Seems like those that are using this type of service don't visit the forums too often.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to rabeatz

Premium Member

to rabeatz
They do but are silent until things go south.... let me see if I can wake them up.
ecollin23
join:2012-12-15
Orlando, FL

ecollin23

Wow, BHNtechXpert really knows how to shame me in to responding Firstly, you need to understand that a computer cannot be an extender. Copy protected recordings can only be played back on the computer they were recorded on or an extender connected to it. Pretty much everything except rebroadcast of over the air signals are copy protected as you stated. I use an XBox as an extender because the echo wasn't available until recently. I use a universal remote with no issues except what feels like a 60 second start up time. I was VERY disappointed with the XBox when it comes to playing high bit rate MP4 containers so I use an app called Plex on my Roku and Synology NAS for playing back files on the home network. I use MoCa for my networking technology with excellent but have had fair results running a separate version of Media Center wirelessly on my laptop.
ecollin23

ecollin23

The rules are the same for live tv as they are for recordings. Copy protected content must be played back on a device that is copy protection compliant. There are some seedlings of new approaches that would allow more devices.

Google silicondust project:connect
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to ecollin23

Premium Member

to ecollin23
said by ecollin23:

Wow, BHNtechXpert really knows how to shame me in to responding Firstly, you need to understand that a computer cannot be an extender. Copy protected recordings can only be played back on the computer they were recorded on or an extender connected to it. Pretty much everything except rebroadcast of over the air signals are copy protected as you stated. I use an XBox as an extender because the echo wasn't available until recently. I use a universal remote with no issues except what feels like a 60 second start up time. I was VERY disappointed with the XBox when it comes to playing high bit rate MP4 containers so I use an app called Plex on my Roku and Synology NAS for playing back files on the home network. I use MoCa for my networking technology with excellent but have had fair results running a separate version of Media Center wirelessly on my laptop.

LOL There he is
rabeatz
Winter Springs, FL

1 edit

rabeatz to ecollin23

to ecollin23
said by ecollin23:

The rules are the same for live tv as they are for recordings. Copy protected content must be played back on a device that is copy protection compliant. There are some seedlings of new approaches that would allow more devices.

Google silicondust project:connect

Wow, Project Connect looks promising. It's got me kind of excited. Unless I'm understanding it wrong, would it allow for copy-once content to be viewed using XBMC? I was really hoping to use my Raspberry Pi for live TV, so if that's the case, this will be great.

I understand that a PC can't be an extender, though it would be great if it could happen - would really allow for a true 'whole home' dvr experience. I saw plenty of threads in MS forums (mainly from 2010) with people pushing for DRM to be shared through the homegroup or allowing other PCs in the homegroup to function as extenders, it never got anywhere.

Looks like synology devices appear to be pretty common here too lol. I have some of their enterprise level stuff at work and am saving up for the consumer grade stuff.
rabeatz

rabeatz

This article explains a bit more »www.engadget.com/2012/12 ··· live-tv/
ecollin23
Orlando, FL

ecollin23

It is good to see I am not the only one excited by this. I set up my HDHomeRunPrime about two months ago and I was lucky enough to have no cablecard problems but the first HDHomeRunPrime device had a bad tuner. The latest firmware has bugs that cause pixelation so I would stay away from it for now especially because you cannot downgrade the firmware once it is upgraded.
rabeatz
Winter Springs, FL

rabeatz

said by ecollin23:

The latest firmware has bugs that cause pixelation so I would stay away from it for now especially because you cannot downgrade the firmware once it is upgraded.

Are you referring to the latest Beta that I installed last night?... lol

My brother in law and I are both excited about where this leads, if it works out in a good way he'll buy an HDHRP as well. It says that the protected channels travel over DTCP-IP which they only list the PS3 as a current device for. My "hope" for phase 2 would be the release of software that enables DTCP-IP on devices (Android, Smart TVs, etc)... and if I'm lucky enough, perhaps a DTCP-IP add-on for XBMC to allow protected content through XBMC.
rabeatz

rabeatz

said by rabeatz See ProfileMy "hope" for phase 2 would be the release of software that enables DTCP-IP on devices (Android, Smart TVs, etc)... and if I'm lucky enough, perhaps a DTCP-IP add-on for XBMC to allow protected content through XBMC.

:

And.. that's putting a lot of hope in SD investing in alot of developers..

ecollin23
Orlando, FL

ecollin23 to rabeatz

to rabeatz
Actually the beta from last night was a vast improvement over the previous beta. I suggest you read the Silicondust forums for a day or two to gauge the quality of new beta firmware before you install it. I do not think XMBC will support DTCP-IP. It is not a free protocol and who would pay for the licensing? If it was just a matter of coding many talented coders will write programs for free because they enjoy the work. I don't know many people who can afford to buy a proprietary license just so they can write free programs. I bet the DTCP-IP license prohibits distributing any source code which may make it impossible to use it in an opensource project.
rabeatz
Winter Springs, FL

rabeatz

Right, that's why my hope is that Silicon Dust themselves to create a DTCP-IP compatible add-on for XBMC. They're paying for the licensing if they're trying to get TV on all those different devices as their press release specifies.

AFAIK it is possible to create a closed source Add-on/plugin for XBMC (Xbmc may or may not put it in their repository though). They would probably have to host it on their website.

I'm not going to keep my fingers crossed but that's just a way that it could work out.. but probably won't be.

Of course, it's all rumors till we see Phase 2 (and taste Phase 1).
ecollin23
Orlando, FL

ecollin23

An add-on/plugin. Now that is interesting. Kind of like what ATI and NVIDIA did with their proprietary video drivers for Linux. I never thought about that. We shall see.

bigdaddy
join:2009-11-18

bigdaddy to ecollin23

to ecollin23
How many Streams can one cable card handle 2 or 4 ?

How many streams can one Tuning adapter handle 3 or 4 ?

Thanks
rabeatz
Winter Springs, FL

rabeatz

I can't give an exact answer on that but I can tell you that with my HDHomerun it has 3 tuners built in, and it uses one cablecard and one tuning adapter, so the answer I have is at least 3 streams when there are three tuners.
rabeatz

rabeatz

People are discussing the XBMC end in the forum

»www.silicondust.com/foru ··· 424a0f37

bigdaddy
join:2009-11-18

bigdaddy to rabeatz

to rabeatz
said by rabeatz:

I can't give an exact answer on that but I can tell you that with my HDHomerun it has 3 tuners built in, and it uses one cablecard and one tuning adapter, so the answer I have is at least 3 streams when there are three tuners.

I was referring to BHNs Official stream count for CC and Tuning Adapter.
rabeatz
Winter Springs, FL

rabeatz

Ah, then BHNtechXpert See Profile is probably the one to answer that.
pronk
join:2011-06-21
Oviedo, FL

pronk to rabeatz

to rabeatz
OK, new healthcare kicking in next year running me an extra $550/month so I am looking at where I can cut back on costs.

Since BHNTech hooked me up last year with a new modem/router I figured coming here was better than going to the BHN chat.

Here is what I currently have:
3 Roku2's, 1 Roku
3 Set Top Boxes, 2 record (I've resisted the WHDVR setup)
Two Xboxes though one needs repaired

Since I've got a lot of movies I'd like to watch using the Roku's my plan was to build a new HTPC and install Plex so that the Rokus can view movies on the network. This is working fine on an older PC I tried it out on so I plan to invest in something a little newer and install Windows7. (might as well stick to Plex with the Roku investment).

Now having read up on this, I would like to verify if the following is true:
- Since I have three STBs from Brighthouse, if I wanted to ditch box rentals, my current setup (assuming I add HTPC per plan) is sufficient. Meaning each Xbox 360 becomes an extender, and my new PC is the third with Win7/DVR
- I could then opt for Cable Card, and HD Home Run Prime and have three devices available, the PC and two 360s
- Obviously unrelated but the Plex content can be accessed via Roku (Netflix, Amazon, MLB etc.)

The only question is how well it's working. I could save roughly $30/month, plus I am paying for the full movie suite offering of $36, I could drop to HBO only, and knock close to $50 off the bill. Remember that I am probably going to get the PC anyway, so the real investment is the HD Home Run Prime and repair of the one 360. If it's working well, seems like a no-brainer.
rabeatz
Winter Springs, FL

rabeatz

If you don't mind using the Xbox 360s as extenders than it will work. With the main PC recording/as the DVR, the 360s would be able to access the recorded programs, so essentially a whole house DVR. And you can install an app like Remote Potato to schedule recordings from your browser on any computer anywhere.

You can find the HDHRPrime for 120-130 if you keep your eyes open for a deal . I had set up a deal alert on Slickdeals.net.

The only thing you'd lose would be interactive/on demand content - the HDHomerun is a one way device so you won't be able to do videos on demand at all.
pronk
join:2011-06-21
Oviedo, FL

pronk

Thanks I don't use that much since I would rent on Amazon if needed, I do get UFC fights, but apparently the Roku can handle that. Seems like a pretty good idea I'll have to keep researching it.
rabeatz
Winter Springs, FL

rabeatz

I'm happy with mine and I also like that I'm able to turn on my laptop and watch TV on there when I'm home. I've had mine set up for about a month now.

Trimline
Premium Member
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL

Trimline to rabeatz

Premium Member

to rabeatz
Click for full size
My Channels Look
Click for full size
Media Browser
I've used the HDHomerun Prime and cable card setup for a little over a year now and really like it. I've got 3 HTPC's, all wireless throughout the house with no issues (WNDR3700). I use the WMC for the TV along with this little plugin - »www.mychannellogos.com/P ··· ult.aspx If you have your movies stored on a network drive, by all means, augment the WMC with Media Browser - »www.mediabrowser.tv/

Not sure if I'd use anything else as this setup just screams.

Just waiting for BHN to update their cable cards so I can drop the SD box and go with just the card and on-demand access.
rabeatz
Winter Springs, FL

1 edit

rabeatz

said by Trimline:

Just waiting for BHN to update their cable cards so I can drop the SD box and go with just the card and on-demand access.

Curious as to what kind of update you're referring to - do you mean update their card to allow on-demand with cablecards? I could be wrong but it's my understanding that the cablecards are completely capable of two communication (it's the same cards they use in the cable boxes), but it's the end devices (HDHRPrime, Tivo, etc) that do not support it.

Trimline
Premium Member
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL

Trimline

Premium Member

said by rabeatz:

said by Trimline:

Curious as to what you mean by update their card - do you mean update their card to allow on-demand with cablecards? I could be wrong but it's my understanding that the cablecards are completely capable of two communication (it's the same cards they use in the cable boxes), but it's the end devices (HDHRPrime, Tivo, etc) that do not support it.

Unless I've missed something, when using a cable card, you cannot order video-on-demand. As I understand, it is a limitation of the card itself. Maybe one of the techs can chime in.

I use Amazon Prime and a Roku to overcome those limitations.
rabeatz
Winter Springs, FL

rabeatz

I wish that were true because it'd give me hope for getting some on-demand content in the future as well - but the cable boxes themselves use cable cards, per FCC requirements, so if it were a limitation of the card they would be affected too.

"Interactive features such as Video on Demand rely on the CableCARD Host device being an OpenCable Host Device and have nothing to do with the physical card. This makes the common use of the phrase "CableCARD 2.0" as a requirement for video on demand misleading, since two way services have been provided with the actual cards from the very beginning.[8]"

I believe our HDHomerunPrimes are considered to be "UDCPs" (Unidirectional Digital Cable Product), meaning the box itself only supports one way.

I think the problem is the on demand content uses lots of proprietary coding from the provider included only in their box's operating system itself, so retail two way cablecard devices are not available.

Not the best source, but the part I'm referring to is cited with a CableLabs paper. Bottom two paragraphs of the Physical CableCards section.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ca ··· bleCARDs