Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

The growing art of data dodging

»www.marketplace.org/topics/tech/···-dodging

"The holidays are prime Internet usage time for most of us: buying gifts, booking travel, emailing about holiday plans. All that can be a little scary, when you realize that companies are tracking everything you do online, and creating a profile of you to sell to advertisers..."
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Ironically Ghostery blocked 7 trackers from the linked article.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

My shopper profile likely states: 'cheap Scottish bastard that can squeeze a single penny so tight as to get ten miles of copper wire out of it'.

I consider that a win!!

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
said by Link Logger:

I consider that a win!!

Having Scottish ancestry myself I agree
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to Ian

4 cookies were blocked when i went there.. (All 3rd party)

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to antdude

Re: The growing art of data dodging

Hmm... I feel a bit deprived When I first went to the site (using Opera, no JavaScript, and first-party cookies enabled - which is how I normally browse), I didn't get any cookies. With first party cookies and JavaScript enabled, I only got one cookie (from Marketplace). When I enabled all cookies, but no JavaScript, I got three cookies; with all cookies enabled and JavaScript enabled, I again got three cookies. Perhaps running a robust hosts file (MVPS) is blocking some of the other nonsense...
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

Well I usually have scripts DISABLED and i have 3rd party cookies BLOCKED so the 4 i got were blocked and NOT ADDED TO MY COOKIE FOLDER.. (I didnt get any 1st party cookie from that site)

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
said by Dude111:

... (I didnt get any 1st party cookie from that site)

The 1st party Marketplace cookie I did get (with JavaScript enabled) appeared to have had something to do with JavaScript, since it contained a "js***" reference in its bowels.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

1 edit
Yup i got it too when i enabled scripts (I noticed UTMA and UTMB in the cookie file...

EDIT:

I deleted ALL COOKIES about 5 minutes ago and i still have ZERO COOKIES! (Not even the 1st party one from the site here.. It must be using a session hash to keep my browser synced (Logged in))

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

The way I've come to look at it is, if people can't be bother to even take an interest in how their computer and the internet works, then I don't care if they are tracked six ways from Sunday.

I've got a friend on whom I've tried to impress the importance of security software (and keeping the damn stuff updated) and basic safe hex, and she always tells me that she doesn't have enough time to be bothered with that stuff.

So I tried to set up her computer with as many automatic safeguards as possible, and after that she's on her own.
--
Patriotism is not waving a flag, it is living the ideals

I want to retire to the Isle of Sodor and ride the trains.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
reply to Ian

A friend of mine said his program blocked 9 trackers

Google Analytics,Real Media,Webtrends and Comscore Beacon..3 social networks (Twitter,Google +1 and Facebook Connect) and one Ad network (AddThis).

He uses »www.abine.com

Unreal isnt it?? A page trying to warn you of things like this IS SECRETLY TRYING TO TRACK YOU!! (Well 3rd party ppl are)

The thing is,THEY ARE ALL MOST LIKELY LUCKILY RENDERED USELESS IF YOU DISABLE SCRIPTS

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1
reply to antdude

Ghostery blocked 9 trackers in the article.

Ian
Premium
ON
said by DrStrange:

Ghostery blocked 9 trackers in the article.

I suspect the number will vary depending on factors like geographic location and what other things are running, NoScript, Adblock, DNT+, Hosts files, etc...

I still get 7...
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

Well if you have GOOGLE,etc blocked seperatly Ian I guess thats why you only get 7..

What do you get if you goto the page WITH SCRIPTS DISABLED??

Ian
Premium
ON

Re:The growing art of data dodging

said by Dude111:

What do you get if you goto the page WITH SCRIPTS DISABLED??

7.....Like I said!

Why did you assume I run scripts on pages like Marketplace.org?

Like I said, depends what else you have running. If I let the page run with scripts, 24/7 Media and GoogleAnalytics make it as far as Ghostery....to get 9 blocked.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

Oh ok,thant means that crap still works with no scripts!!

Sorry buddy.........If you dont block them,do thier cookies show up in your cookie folder?? (Im wondering cause i dont get any,only 4 are blocked when i go there cause they are 3rd party)

Ian
Premium
ON
said by Dude111:

Oh ok,thant means that crap still works with no scripts!!

Sorry buddy.........If you dont block them,do thier cookies show up in your cookie folder?? (Im wondering cause i dont get any,only 4 are blocked when i go there cause they are 3rd party)

It just reinforces the point I was making that there are a number of ways to "lock down" this info. There are more than one way to block 3rd-party cookies, or web bugs, or ads.....
--

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
Yes well we shouldnt have to worry of being tracked,put in databases,etc..... ITS ALL QUITE DISTURBING!!

Ian
Premium
ON
said by Dude111:

Yes well we shouldnt have to worry of being tracked,put in databases,etc..... ITS ALL QUITE DISTURBING!!

That I happen to use Ghostery and NoScript and such doesn't mean I'd be losing any sleep if Google Analytics or 24/7 media know that I looked at an article at marketplace.org. In fact, if they asked me politely I'd see no real harm in saying so.

Keep in mind that there's one large company that knows every site you visit, when, and how often. Your ISP. Unless you're using measures like proxies. And even then, how well do you trust the proxy company or service?
--

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
Ya your right,if your ISP wants to pull up your account and log everything IT ISNT HARD!!

Those are 1 people you dont wanna make mad!! -- As far as trust goes,i dont think ISPs track people like doubleclick,etc does.... (Doesnt mean someday they wont make a $$$$$ deal with stores and start tracking and selling data)

Ian
Premium
ON
said by Dude111:

i dont think ISPs track people like doubleclick,etc does.... (Doesnt mean someday they wont make a $$$$$ deal with stores and start tracking and selling data)

Some of the largest ISPs in the US let the NSA step in, and install their own equipment to look at every packet that traversed their networks that they wanted to. You don't think they'd sell out your usage data to the highest bidder to make a quarterly earnings projection? If you're worried about that sort of thing. You don't have to make them mad, they just need to be greedy and sure (enough) that they'll get away with it.
--