Search Topic:
share rss forum feed

dick white
Premium
join:2000-03-24
Annandale, VA
reply to VirtualLarry

Re: [Billing] Leaving FIOS soon

You say you have ordered DSL from a CLEC with an install date in the near future. Wait until the DSL is actually installed before you make any move to cancel the FIOS. That the CLEC accepted your order and set an install date does not mean that they have already made the engineering determination that it is possible to install. The engineering determination is made after the sale/install date is booked. As they work the sales ticket, they might find that the engineering is not possible because VZ previously did something to the copper plant as part of (or subsequent) to your conversion to fiber, not necessarily to your specific drop, but something else in the CO or outside plant, or who knows what/where. VZ's business intention is to force conversion to FIOS everywhere they can within the FIOS footprint (though they have made it clear that they aren't really interested in expanding FIOS to new locales that do not yet have the fiber plant installed), and once a customer/premise is FIOS, they find ways to arrange for that to be the only service method. If the customer elects a CLEC for voice as is his/her legal right, the CLEC's voice service can be delivered the last mile over the VZ fiber to the premise ONT, transparent to the customer. But DSL cannot be delivered the last mile on fiber, it is a copper-only service. So you may be pooched and nobody knows it yet until the CLEC attempts the install. Or, maybe copper remains available to your house, and your new DSL will be fine. All I am saying is don't count your chickens until they hatch.

VirtualLarry
Premium
join:2003-08-01
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
said by dick white:

Or, maybe copper remains available to your house, and your new DSL will be fine. All I am saying is don't count your chickens until they hatch.

Well, all this time, I was still getting a DSL link light when I plug in and turn on my old DSL modem. They never disconnected the copper. (MDU apt bldg)

I am now running on my DSL, it works fine. 3Mbit/768Kbit. Just like old times...