spc
uniqs

fataldarknes
@telus.net

fataldarknes to pfak

Anon

to pfak

Re: [AB] Wireless speeds suddenly dip

I am upset at TELUS because the technician they gave me seemed almost robotic and like he didn't know much about networking at all. And as far as environment goes there could be a new network in town running on the same channel, I never checked that. If I change the broadcasting channel on my network will I have to change anything on the wireless devices that are connected?

AnonTechEDM
@telus.net

AnonTechEDM

Anon

said by fataldarknes :

I am upset at TELUS because the technician they gave me seemed almost robotic and like he didn't know much about networking at all. And as far as environment goes there could be a new network in town running on the same channel, I never checked that. If I change the broadcasting channel on my network will I have to change anything on the wireless devices that are connected?

if you change the wireless channel you will not have to reconfigure anything on the client. there is some free software available that will scan all the wifi around you and show you what other networks channels are and their signal strength in relation to you which will help in determining what channel you should be on. A good one is inSSIDer. TELUS is not responsible for wifi signal, all we can troubleshoot is the connection up to the modem, basic networking between the modem/gateway is really all that is supported. Wifi being on a highly saturated 2.4Ghz band is something that can not be guaranteed due to the high level of interference causing sources such as 2.4 Ghz cordless phones, microwaves, other wifi routers, wireless security and camera systems, wireless video transceivers, etc. This unfortunately is your problem not a TELUS problem. With that said usually a channel change can fix the issue, the problem with that being if the source of interference is using an automatic channel selection then you could continue to have issues intermittently. You could see if yours has an automatic channel selection as well so the router can help decide the best channel available. Good Luck!