how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

theyipper

join:2001-01-18
Oakland, CA
reply to MikeC578

Re: [WIN7] BSOD and the Minidump... how to analyze it?

What kind of motherboard?

Some mbs automatically ramp up/overclock under heavy loads causing memory type of errors.

edit: Oh its a Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE

MikeC578

join:2012-11-30
Mississauga, ON

1 recommendation

I've uninstalled Avast! and have been working feverishly on a video roject - lots of editing and rendering - and no BSOD...
I'm using an ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe Mobo
--
Mike C

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

said by MikeC578:

I've uninstalled Avast! and have been working feverishly on a video roject - lots of editing and rendering - and no BSOD...

Great sign so far!
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

MikeC578

Mississauga, ON

1 edit
reply to MikeC578

Well - it was nice while it lasted but I just had another BSOD - even after uninstalling Avast! antivirus... the Event Viewer has nothing of interest showing just before the crash...
--
Mike C

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2

He has a Marvell SATA controller that's used for his SSD. I said in an IM to MikeC578 See Profile that Marvell drivers are crappy drivers, buggy like none other. It would be best to get his SSD on one of the Intel-based SATA controller ports as versus the Marvell ports.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

auggy
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-24
Brockville, ON
kudos:18
reply to MikeC578

Also, try in the BIOS "Load BIOS Default Settings" to reverse any potential automatic overclocking of the processor.

MikeC578

Mississauga, ON

You were right... the SSD (identified as a SCSI disk in the BIOS) was indeed plugged into one of the Marvell ports. I switched it to one of the Intell ports, reset the BIOS to default settings (it was only overclocked 3%) and have been working away on video, rendering, etc - no BSOD yet... keeping my friggin' fingers crossed
--
Mike C

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

You will also find that the Intel SSD Toolkit will now function as it should. TRIM support will also work properly as well.

MikeC578

Mississauga, ON

indeed - should update the firmware... also, now in the BIOS the SSD is identified as ATA...
--
Mike C

MikeC578

Mississauga, ON

1 recommendation

been purring like a tomcat in a creamery alllllll day... seems that Marvell port is a little flaky...
--
Mike C

MikeC578

Mississauga, ON

1 recommendation

To auggy and trparky - thanx guys for the troubleshooting... haven't had a bsod since I switched the sata cable to the intell port and was able to optimize and 'defrag' the ssd thru toolkit... still keeping my fingers crossed tho and will report back in a couple of days...
all the best!
--
Mike C

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
Cleveland, OH

Good to hear.