Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to OZO

MVM

to OZO

Re:  

Certainly I'm entitled to my privacy, however if I walk into someone else's store (ie property) or website, then am I still entitled? Same applies to public spaces, be they online or in the real world. Ultimately ones rights end where another's begin and a choice has been made.

Blake
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

Yes...A choice to NOT CARE WHAT HAPPENS WITH YOUR DATA!!

Quite stupid.....

goalieskates
Premium Member
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

goalieskates to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
said by Link Logger:

Certainly I'm entitled to my privacy, however if I walk into someone else's store (ie property) or website, then am I still entitled? Same applies to public spaces, be they online or in the real world. Ultimately ones rights end where another's begin and a choice has been made.

Blake

But then you have a relationship with that site - not with all the nameless sites they sell your data to. Or the sites they in turn sell it to.

And if I walk into a store - or visit a website - we have a shared space only for the duration of my visit, not forever after. We're not married, for pity's sake.

Plus if I walk into a store and make no purchase, there is absolutely no reason for them to know the first thing about me. I came in, I checked things out, I wasn't interested, and I never went back. It happens all the time. What it would not mean is that I'd want to then hear from other stores selling the same sorts of things. In fact, if they had somehow figured out who I was and passed the info on, I'd have them in court for invasion of privacy and stalking.

I don't buy the "a choice has been made" argument at all.
goalieskates

goalieskates to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
dupe
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
So, if I walk into Macy's over on the other side of this island where I have not been in years, Macy's is entitled to ask for identification at their door, make a photocopy of my driver's license, follow me around the store with cameras taking photos of everything I stop to look at, pick up, etc., taking photos of me in their dressing room so they know what I tried on, etc....this is perfectly fine with you?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

Tracking cookies convey that kind of data?
Expand your moderator at work
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned) to NormanS

to NormanS

Basically Norm YES!

They keep track of WHAT SITES YOU VISIT and when you return to the host site that issued the cookie,THEY COLLECT THE INFO!!!! -- Thus building a profile on you!! (THAT THEY CAN SELL TO ANYONE!!!!!!! -- Before you know it,your life isnt yours anymore!!)

Link Logger
MVM
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to Mele20

MVM

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

So, if I walk into Macy's over on the other side of this island where I have not been in years, Macy's is entitled to ask for identification at their door, make a photocopy of my driver's license, follow me around the store with cameras taking photos of everything I stop to look at, pick up, etc., taking photos of me in their dressing room so they know what I tried on, etc....this is perfectly fine with you?

Must be with you as Macy's likely has more then one security camera recording in their store, and there is likely a sign at the door saying as much and yet you made a choice to enter.

Now to really play with your head, chuck in a little facial recognition and screw your license, I've got way more then that. Tie that into flickr and I've got your whole day tracked on the island as you likely appear in the background of more then a few pictures and thanks to those big mega resolution cameras everyone is using I can find you in more pictures then you would want to know about. Ohh do I love technology, there is a good reason why the NASA was given a couple surplus spy satellites are frankly they aren't needed anymore given endless stream of public high resolution pictures of pretty much everywhere on the planet and they are all public so expectations of privacy are null and void.

Blake
I love how Hawaiians talk about the other side of the island like its 10,000 miles away or something
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

How does Macy's security camera correlate my face with my name? Did the State of Hawaii illegally sell my driver's license information to Macy's which Macy's then has some computer try and put with some security camera picture? Macy's even dropped that crap about asking their customers to go to their website and vote for the salesclerk who helped them so they would make more money. That offended folks here (privacy invasion) and they stopped doing that and I don't believe Macy's is spending money and time trying to buy off the State of Hawaii and get folks drivers licenses and correlate that with some security camera pic for what reason anyway? Maybe I am a tourist in Kona for the day and I live in Japan and never plan to come to Hawaii again so I won't be in Macy's again...why would Macy's spend money in this manner? Macy's has security cameras to cut down on shoplifting not to profile everyone who walks in.

I am lost as to how you tie what facial recognition to Flckr? What does that garbage site have to do with anything? I don't visit it. I see anyone take my pic without my permission they will end up dead or at least in the hospital.

Your declaration that privacy is dead is exactly the sort of argument used in Germany before World War II. If you really believe this and are ok with it then you are my enemy. I do not believe privacy is dead. You want me to believe that so I will give up. That is evil on your part.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

No MELE if your careful with your info,PRIVACY IS NOT DEAD!!!!!

Most people willingly give up ANYTHING these days and its quite disgusting!!!!! (They are on facebook,etc)

Link Logger
MVM
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to Mele20

MVM

to Mele20
Next time you pay for something at Macy's I hope your using cash, as you should look around, note the camera? Its used to ensure the clerk isn't helping themselves to the till, but I tie the sales time into the camera record time, and if you didn't use cash, I've got your name (debit card, credit card) connected to a face and likely more.

Now I take that face and run it through Flickr, for example in the attached photo (16.1MP), don't care about the 2 girls in front, its the girl in the back left, next frame she looked toward the camera, bingo id'ed, complete with date time and GPS location. And you would do what, take their camera away, punch them out, and then I'd have a really good mug shot of you to base future facial recognition from as its a public beach and the picture is publicly posted on Flickr.

Now is this done for everyone, heck no, your country is broke and can't afford to do this (or maybe that is why your country is broke), but is it possible, hell ya. Would it be illegal for joe smoo to do this, not really as the only thing that might be touchy is how they connect the name to the face and there are lots of ways to do that legally as your name and face are hardly private information.

Blake

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to 19579823

MVM

to 19579823
said by 19579823:

They keep track of WHAT SITES YOU VISIT and when you return to the host site that issued the cookie,THEY COLLECT THE INFO!!!! -- Thus building a profile on you!! (THAT THEY CAN SELL TO ANYONE!!!!!!! --

I've looked at cookies. I've seen no names, addresses, phone numbers, or the like. Nothing more there than a UPC bar code on a package. So a cookie is little more than a pointer, an index. And, unless I have given up the requisite data (address and phone number to the site), they have ... (allow me to borrow your keyboard a moment) ... ZIP! NADA!! ZILCH!!!

Hatsune Miku has a more corporeal existence than I on most web sites.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· NIDlZR1A

Before you know it,your life isnt yours anymore!!)

I still go where I want, do what I want; and am willing to bet quatloos that Bing doesn't know me at all.

P.S. That is a live audience, a live band on stage, and not doctored in some studio. See if you can figure out how they did it. Pretty slick trick! Maybe Disney will bring Jessica Rabbit to a live performance near you some year!
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO

Premium Member

said by NormanS:

I've looked at cookies. I've seen no names, addresses, phone numbers, or the like.

Good that you finally start looking... It's better than trying to bury head in a sand and keep denying that cookies are meaningless and you don't mind if everyone around start tracking you...

Purpose of cookies is to keep an unique ID (or several ID's), that will be send to web servers, when you visit their (and sometimes not only theirs) sites. All data, collected from you (like you mentioned), is kept in databases, running behind web servers, and linked to you using those unique ID's. There is no need to use cookies to save your name or address. It's actually quite simple concept, designed to identify you when you're visiting the web.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude

19579823 (banned)

How much ya wanna bet Norman knows all this already,HE IS JUST TESTING US TO SEE IF WE DO!!

??
OZO
Premium Member

OZO

Premium Member

said by 19579823:

How much ya wanna bet Norman knows all this already,HE IS JUST TESTING US TO SEE IF WE DO!!

??

I'm sure you're 100% right. He just wants to troll this thread, no doubt about that. Or the account is compromised and used by someone else now

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to OZO

MVM

to OZO
said by OZO:

Good that you finally start looking... It's better than trying to bury head in a sand and keep denying that cookies are meaningless and you don't mind if everyone around start tracking you...

Finally? Finally! I looked at my first cookies years ago!!!

Purpose of cookies is to keep an unique ID (or several ID's), that will be send to web servers, when you visit their (and sometimes not only theirs) sites. All data, collected from you (like you mentioned), is kept in databases, running behind web servers, and linked to you using those unique ID's. There is no need to use cookies to save your name or address. It's actually quite simple concept, designed to identify you when you're visiting the web.

But they still need the data. If they don't have it, the cookies are useless.
NormanS

NormanS to 19579823

MVM

to 19579823
said by 19579823:

More like I think the danger is overblown. You say my life isn't mine. I just don't see how "They" can "pwn" my life with a cookie.
OZO
Premium Member

OZO to NormanS

Premium Member

to NormanS
said by NormanS:

But they still need the data. If they don't have it, the cookies are useless.

You'll give it to them, one way or other...E.g. you login to your Google online account to read new mail confirming your recent online purchase and containing your full name, address, last 4 CC numbers, etc. Cookies is just a glue here, linking all the data together. But I'm sure you know that already very well Why are you playing this game here?

NormanS
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by OZO:

You'll give it to them, one way or other...E.g. you login to your Google online account to read new mail confirming your recent online purchase and containing your full name, address, last 4 CC numbers, etc. Cookies is just a glue here, linking all the data together. But I'm sure you know that already very well Why are you playing this game here?

Online purchase receipts don't go to Google. Why should they? Packets from Amazon.com don't go through 'mx.gmail.com' to my Inbox. They go from the Amazon.com network, likely over Level 3 transit to the Sonic.net, LLC network. Three-letter agencies are probably monitoring Level 3, but is GOOG monitoring AMZN SMTP traffic? And once it hits Sonic.net, LLC transit, the only people with access are that ISP; and the SMTP stuff doesn't go to 'mx.sonic.net', it goes straight to 'mx.My_Domain.example'.

Probably because I don't believe Chicken Little's claim that the sky is falling.