Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

antdude
A Matrix Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

Know who's tracking your e-reading habits

»www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/ ··· -habits/ from »www.linuxtoday.com/uploa ··· 009.html

"The holiday shopping season is upon us, and once again e-book readers promise to be a very popular gift. Last year’s holiday season saw ownership of a dedicated e-reader device spike to nearly 1 in 5 Americans, and that number is poised to go even higher.

But if you’re in the market for an e-reader this year, or for e-books to read on one that you already own, you might want to know who’s keeping an eye on your searching, shopping, and reading habits.

This chart gives you an idea of who might be tracking you, or be capable of tracking you and sharing information with law enforcement..."
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:6

1 recommendation

Re: Know who146;s tracking your e-reading habits

That tracking is one reason I would never have one. Plus, what a HORRIBLE way to read a book! I read constantly and am very grateful that the State of Hawaii Public Library System is a great one. I pay part of my tax return each year in support of the library and will leave to them in my will. They have some books available for e-readers but not many.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to antdude
There's also Project Gutenberg, Baen, and several other sites that sell books - drm free. There is also Creative Commons.

I tried a Nook, and wound up telling B&N where to go. They permitted third party spam on the privacy page.

B&N also has a policy that you only own the ebook as long as your credit card is good.
»www.techdirt.com/article ··· es.shtml

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:6
Barnes and Noble spams you to death at your email address for years...no way to stop it and they do it daily. I would never try their Nook because I know they would spam me.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to carpetshark3
No they don't. I gave them a throwaway. I've got quite a few of those.
I also shut the clerk up the minute they start on that damn discount card. Before the clerk can say a word, I just tell them NOT to mention the damn thing. If they insist, stuff gets left on the counter and I'll go buy the book elsewhere.

You can opt out of B&N themselves, but they have a couple of third parties that won't allow an opt-out. It was right on the policy page.

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to antdude
I won't change now back to books but am not surprised with reader tracking though no one would get much information from mine. If there was a way to stop tracking I would probably try it, but not stop using my kindle.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to carpetshark3
said by carpetshark3:

B&N also has a policy that you only own the ebook as long as your credit card is good.
»www.techdirt.com/article ··· es.shtml

A lot of that going around.
»Amazon wipes women's Kindle, will not tell her why