·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 recommendation

Dustyn

Premium Member

Microsoft to IE haters: You're sad

said by Chris Matyszczyk | CNET.com :
If you despise Internet Explorer, you are a twerp.
You are a sad, lonely doofus who sits alone, night after night, posting stupid, negative comments about a browser that is simply above your station.
You are so truly, irredeemably pathetic that your greatest achievement is to have won a karaoke competition at your local bar in 2008.
No, these are not my harsh words. We never bathe in harshness here.
These are the thoughts and sentiments that emerge from a rather touching new ad produced by Microsoft.
In hyping IE10, the company has decided to confront its critics in the same way that Donald Trump's hair confronts gravity's laws: by defying them.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· FAOPBiDk

Bach
Premium Member
join:2002-02-16
Flint, MI

1 recommendation

Bach

Premium Member

Watched the vid four times, though I have to admit I was using FireFox to watch it.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

1 edit

Dustyn

Premium Member

I loved the fact that they showed the classic Chrome kid beating up the Firefox kid while the IE kid was sitting in the corner eating a jar of glue.
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts to Dustyn

to Dustyn
Their idea of advertising the merits of IE involves shaming those of us that don't particularly like it? That doesn't work on me. If anything, I want to use it less because of how much this makes MS look like a bunch of assholes.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

Especially the newer versions of IE which are over-bloated/ugly spying piece of trash!! (They want everyone on them badly)
91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

1 recommendation

91862239 (banned) to Dustyn

to Dustyn

Re: Microsoft to IE haters: You're sad

ur talkin bout firefox that browsers so bloated it crashes and dies all the time

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
As I watched the commercial on Pale Moon, I can't say that I, as a (cough)-year-old woman really identified with the non-IE user shown.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re:  

So that was you in the video?

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to 91862239

Premium Member

to 91862239

said by 91862239:

ur talkin bout firefox that browsers so bloated it crashes and dies all the time

Whoops!
It was Firefox not Opera. Corrected that posting.
Expand your moderator at work
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned) to dave

to dave

Nope it shure wasnt dave!!
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn

Does that video have sound? I still have my speakers attached to my XP computer.

I don't have Flash installed on Fx 10 ESR on this Win 8 computer but it played the video just fine in HTML 5.

It was both a funny and sad video. I loved Microsoft's TV ads for IE 9 and those ads made me want to use IE 9 but I couldn't put it on XP. But this ad is a turn off. I have IE10 now on the new computer and avoid it.

Bach
Premium Member
join:2002-02-16
Flint, MI

1 recommendation

Bach

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

Does that video have sound?

Just some orchestral music playing -- Rossini's Barber of Seville -- plus some Windows event sounds, so speakers aren't needed.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
I kinda miss those chimes. Maybe I should dig them up and put them on my work computer just to make people go wtf.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave

Premium Member

Maybe, but if no-one identifies with the guy in the video (i.e., no-one self-identifies as a mindless troll -- not even mindless trolls), perhaps it succeeds in a clever way?

Really
@charter.com

Really to Dustyn

Anon

to Dustyn

I think it's a stupid commerical, but like IE better as I can customized more to my liking then I can with Firefox or Chrome!
Security? not a problem for me as I don't store any important info on my computer such as Credit Card#'s or the like!
Plus, I use third party programs to keep my machine clean and I would use them no matter what browser I used!

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

Blackbird to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

Maybe, but if no-one identifies with the guy in the video (i.e., no-one self-identifies as a mindless troll -- not even mindless trolls), perhaps it succeeds in a clever way?

Perhaps, but if an ad sets the impression that Microsoft has an "attitude" toward any kind of computer user (icon, sterotyped, or whatever), it will ultimately reflect upon Microsoft itself for folks pondering whether company A (with "attitude") or company B (without it) is more likely to listen to their own possible customer questions, problems, and complaints after a sale. An ad like this suggests that Microsoft is more likely to view some users with a certain disdain... and that can create a negative perceptual effect among a market sector that Microsoft hopes to grow into. It's an impression always to avoid being given out by larger companies - and certainly not to be promoted in their advertising. You don't have to "identify" with the "mindless troll" to be led to wonder if the ad betrays elements of Microsoft's corporate attitude toward problem-focused users in general.

RazzyIE
@charter.com

RazzyIE to Dustyn

Anon

to Dustyn

I love at the end how Microsoft admits IE still sucks...just less.

PeeWee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

1 recommendation

PeeWee

Premium Member

said by RazzyIE :

I love at the end how Microsoft admits IE still sucks...just less.

You apparently identify with the guy in the video. Clue, it wasn't MS that was seen typing that comment.

RazzyIE
@charter.com

RazzyIE

Anon

But it was Microsoft that made the video.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave

Premium Member

said by RazzyIE :

But it was Microsoft that made the video.

Public service announcement from dave:

In a work of fiction, views expressed by the characters are not necessarily the views of the author. People often get confused by this.