Search similar:

uniqs
shamus087
join:2012-12-01
Bedford, OH

shamus087

[TWC] Intermittent connection issues (Packet loss/High ping)Ohio

Hello, I'm new here.

I'm going to try to be as detailed as possible. It's going to be quite long.

The long.

I've had TWC since roughly February of this year, we had no cable installed prior to this in my home, we got a new line run to the house and everything was up and running 100%, ping was 19ms to about 25ms, Download speed went from as high as 34Mbps to about 8Mbps, upload was pretty steady at 1Mbps. I want to say the issues really started around the end of September beginning of October. Service has actually been pretty fantastic prior to the issues starting. I might have to restart the cable modem once a month prior to the real issues.

The issues.

When the issues started it was constant connection timeouts, DNS server issues, phone service getting cut off, in general real bad connection. Restarting the modem would fix this, every time I'd do it I'd run a speed test and it'd give me great results. So I figured the real issue was the modem dying (DPC2100). I called TWC and asked for a replacement (Cisco DPX/EPX2203C) which I picked up later that night and installed my self. Phone service on this modem wouldn't work without a technician coming out to run something to get it working, so we had no phone for 3 days. During this time the modem still had issues which I thought might be fixed once the guy came out to get the phone working. Well that's not the case and I was on the phone a day later, this time I wanted to talk to a Tier 3 support, which I did, they ran some diagnostics which turned up nothing, they asked if I had a Router installed and how old it was, I gave them everything about it, a year and a half old, Netgear Model WNDR3400, they said I should replace it because it was old by their standards. So I did with a 120.00 dollar router. Still had issues with both routers tried one or the other. Called them back, They asked if I had the router and modem plugged into a power bar, I did, it has a surge-protector on it, I wanted to keep them safe, now they are plugged directly into the wall.

Still issues just less often (once a day instead of 3 times of resetting the modem) so I called again, they are coming back out to check the lines, guy comes over and tells me the line to the street is a thin line run too far a distance. He replaces it with a line about 3 times as thick. He also replaces the modem with a (Arris TG862). He tells me the modem I had was refurbished and didn't seem to be working right, he mentioned the light on the modem for when the phone is in use is always blinking even if the phone is not in use.

So now I'm trying to find a program to monitor the connection by pinging Google.com which I figure is always working and working well. I end up finding a program called Pingplotter. I ran the test for 2 days to show to the tech guy coming out to check the connection, he tells me it doesn't matter if the connection can't reach google.com, anything outside of (»speedtest.ohiordc.rr.com/) is useless as a test. I told him that I ran a speed test on 3 different sites simultaneously, speedtest.net, Pingtest.net and »speedtest.ohiordc.rr.com/. All reported similar findings in the Ping which went as high as in the 1000 range to as low as 49, Jitter was as high as 700+ and as low as 3. Ping was the only thing I was able to test across the sites, and it was all similar if one site was high ping the other site was too. Packet loss was also shown on pingtest.net it never got higher than 3% though.

So I've been running the ping-plotter program and have had 24 instances of massive packet-loss, this program has been running for the last 72 hours It's been pinging this »speedtest.ohiordc.rr.com/ which is what the tech said is the only one that matters. »i17.photobucket.com/albu ··· test.png
»i17.photobucket.com/albu ··· 2984.jpg
»i17.photobucket.com/albu ··· 2983.jpg
»i17.photobucket.com/albu ··· 2982.jpg
you'll notice I didn't run it from the same server in those pictures. I did however run it multiple times from the same server I wanted to show it wasn't limited to one server.

All in all I'm at a loss. I've done everything they said, been on the phone about 6 times to tier 1&2 and about 4 times with Tier 3. I've had a tech out 3 times. Replaced the modem twice and gotten a new router and gotten a new line run to the house.

I'm sorry it's so long it's been quite a ride, I'm hoping someone allot smarter and more knowledgeable than me will be able to point me in the right direction.

Modems in order of use.
First, DPC2100
Second, Cisco DPX/EPX2203C VoIP Cable Modem
Third, Arris TG862

Router WNDR3400.

Things in use on the network. 3 Computers 2 Xbox's 1 Tablet.
Computers OS's are, 2 With 7 x64 and one with XP.
westom
join:2009-03-15

westom

Re: [TWC] Intermittent connection issues (Packet loss/High ping)

Unfortunately, PING and other equivalent diagnostics are only symptoms of symptoms. Best is to see the actual signal strength on the coax. Relevant numbers are in dBs. In particulare signal strength or signal to noise ratios. Only those numbers say where to start looking for a solution. And report what later defines your data speeds. Those numbers would have improved if a replaced cable solved anything. Replacing a modem without first learing numbers is called shotgunning. Better is to always collect facts before changing anything.

Usually a modem contains a server. Log into that server with its IP address entered in a browser. Then search all pages for relevant numbers. Doing this might require connecting a computer directly into the modem - bypass the router (depending on how the router is setup).

If the modem does not provide those numbers, then the tech had to have a portable device to report same. Next time, get him to commit to the only relevant facts - those above numbers measured in dBs.
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald to shamus087

to shamus087
To get meaningful results, speed tests must be run on one computer to one server at a time, with nothing else active on that computer or your local net.

As Westom points out, diagnosis needs to start with the signal and SNR levels at your modem.
shamus087
Bedford, OH

shamus087 to westom

to westom
Thank you. This is what you want I think.

Downstream 1 4 123.00 MHz -2.24 dBmV 34.35 dB 256QAM 2587402165 357635 15350
Downstream 2 1 105.00 MHz -0.12 dBmV 37.09 dB 256QAM 2636673039 79 0
Downstream 3 2 111.00 MHz 0.11 dBmV 37.09 dB 256QAM 2393377156 174 0
Downstream 4 3 117.00 MHz -0.45 dBmV 36.39 dB 256QAM 2691768933 83 0

Upstream

UCID Freq Power Channel Type Symbol Rate Modulation
Upstream 1 4 32.00 MHz 34.75 dBmV Mixed (TDMA and ATDMA) 2560 kSym/s 64QAM

The last tech that came to the house said that there was nothing he could do further, Line change, Modem change, Router change. Not to mention the diagnostics that have been run at least 3-4 times.

Thanks for the reply .
shamus087

shamus087

Something else I was wondering is, while running torrents is it common to have allot of packet loss?

While I run my torrents I have massive packet loss happen intermittently.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to shamus087

Premium Member

to shamus087
That first Downstream channel has major issues. I also dislike seeing a strong upstream but average downstream signal strength like that, but that may just be how the system is in your area. Time to call the tech back out.

/M
mackey

mackey to shamus087

Premium Member

to shamus087
said by shamus087:

Something else I was wondering is, while running torrents is it common to have allot of packet loss?

While I run my torrents I have massive packet loss happen intermittently.

Assuming you're not going all out and completely saturating the connection, no, that's not normal. Even when I'm going all out it still doesn't result in much packet loss; everything else just slows to a crawl.

/M
Radisc359
join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

Radisc359 to shamus087

to shamus087
Hmm well your upstream power looks a bit low, that could cause packet loss by itself. 123MHz has a lower snr compared to other channels and way more errors than the rest of your channels, which indicates noise, I believe. You had the same issue with two routers so its most likely a signal issue. Which would have to be fixed beyond your cable drop.
shamus087
Bedford, OH

shamus087

I don't really know much about internet beyond the basic terms. What would be a optimal power level to have? Is it something I could alter or something else I could do to assist it?
shamus087

shamus087 to mackey

to mackey
I see. Why don't you like seeing that?

This may be relevant to what you said about the system in my area. I asked the last tech if load on the server that my house is on is overloaded, he said he could check it and did so, he showed me it was only using 22% of total bandwidth capacity.

What would be good signal strength to have?

I guess I might be saturating the connection but I didn't think it'd have as bad a effect on my internet as this. »s17.beta.photobucket.com ··· png.html I expect slow while running torrents, but I was barely able to go anywhere like that.
Radisc359
join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

1 edit

Radisc359

From a broadband reports FAQ »Cox HSI Forum FAQ »What should my modem signal levels be?

DOCSIS 3.0 modems:

Downstream power level (Receive): -15dbmV to +15dbmV
A value of -10 or worse indicates a poor downstream signal path. A tech would aim for a value close to the optimal 0 dBmV, but a good cable modem should be capable of working within the broader range of -10 to +10 dBmV, provided the downstream Signal to Noise Ratio remains good enough. Additionally all downstream channels should be within a +/-2db window with respect to each other.

Upstream (Transmit): 40-52 dBmV. A value within the range +40 to +52 dBmV is within spec with the low to mid 40's the most common. If the cable modem is going offline, and the upstream signal strength is at or above +52dBmV, then a poor upstream path is probably the problem.

Carrier/Noise Ratio: 35 db and above The downstream Signal to Noise Ratio must be 35 dB or higher on each channel. The lower ratio the more noise and the poorer the performance. The Cable Modem will have to keep requesting retransmissions of packets with uncorrectable errors.

Your at 34dB SNR on 123MHz with many correctable and uncorrectable errors and your upstream is at 34dBmV, both out of spec a bit.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to shamus087

Premium Member

to shamus087
said by shamus087:

What would be a optimal power level to have? Is it something I could alter or something else I could do to assist it?

Downstream should be between -10 and +10, the closer to 0 the better. Upstream should be less then 54 with something in the mid 40's the best. With multiple bonded channels, they all should be really close to each other. By itself just being 2 dBmV lower then the next isn't too bad, but with the difference in SNR, the correctable/uncorrectable counts that far apart, and the fact you're having connection problems means something is wrong with that channel.

The low upstream power may or may not be a problem. You'll need to get the upstream SNR from TWC to get a better idea (the upstream SNR is only available from TWC's end; your modem cannot get that information).

I like seeing the upstream and downstream power levels close because it means all the amps in the system are balanced. Amplifying the signal also amplifies any noise picked up, and having too much amplification can hurt the SNR. The fact that your upstream power is so low means there is a whole lot of amplification going on between your modem and the node. With less power from your modem, more noise is picked up and amplified thus hurting your SNR.

There's probably not much you can do; just make sure all the connections are WRENCH tight (you don't need to put everything you've got into it, just rather snug is fine) and all the cables, connectors, and splitters are in good condition. That's also the first thing a tech is going to check most likely.
said by shamus087:

»s17.beta.photobucket.com ··· png.html I expect slow while running torrents, but I was barely able to go anywhere like that.

Been there, done that. When really going all out I generally see 1000-2000ms ping times, and the internet plain unusable for anything else. Set your client to use just shy of your max and it'll clear that right up. I generally try to be a good neighbor and keep my upload <50% of my connection, but download is ~80% as it's usually over fairly quick.

/M
shamus087
Bedford, OH

shamus087

Hmmm. At that time I was limiting the download to 1.1 down and limiting upload to 15kbps.

I typically get about 1.5-1.8 down and 100 kbps up. I think I left enough room no?

I've been monitoring those numbers on the modem and it seems like the first one is always not correct or within those values you mentioned. Think I should call about it?