All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

SpeedyMonty
@mycingular.net

SpeedyMonty

Anon

Successfully Load Balanced "8" Comcast 105mb connections...

Well, after much setup, I was able to connect together 8 separate D3 modems (Legally provisioned 105mb connections) with a gig-e router per, and load balanced them with pFsense! Works like a charm and latency is excellent, even though I thought the handoffs between interconnects would delay things... 8 x 105/10 = Do the math... Will post speed test result when I get back to the rack!

Who would have thought a residential connection could be so fast!?

Long live COAX & FTTN! I can wait a while for FIOS and Comcasts 305 to catch up...
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Re: Successfully Load Balanced "8" Comcast 105mb conne

Do you know the data rate of the fiber node back to Comcast and how many other customers served by it?

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

Are all 8 Cable Modems split off of one coax drop coming in from the street?
blackkanto
join:2008-04-10
South Range, WI

blackkanto to SpeedyMonty

to SpeedyMonty
Don't forget that you'll never get the full speed of all the connections on a single download since pfSense works in a round robin fashion balancing between all 8 connections along with what "weights" are set for each interface. Unless the speedtest can make multiple links between servers and aggregate them, the fastest your going to see for speed is one of the 8 connections at a given time.

Now if you were say downloading a torrent or using a download manager, you could see some awesome results

If I remember correctly reading somewhere on the vast internet, "true" load balancing can be achieved with BGP, but that's a whole other cup of tea let alone getting it from Charter without breaking the bank.