spc
Search similar:

uniqs
thedoctor9135
join:2009-04-29
Dearborn, MO

thedoctor9135

[Embarq] Varying dsl speed problem

Century Link supplies our dsl line. I have been having problems with fluctuating dsl speeds. Service techs have been working on it for over two weeks. So far, new Westell Model 7500 modem, new cat 5 line from outside box to modem (dedicated line), new drop from pedestal. Originally we had a lot of line errors. According to the tech, he put in a new card at the box where the fiber optic is connected to the phone line. He says the line is "good." He has tested it at the pedestal, house, and modem and gets 5.5 to 6 meg download speeds (we are set for 6M). During mid-day I routinely get the same and very stable. Starting around 2 pm, the speed starts decreasing to around 4 M, by evening it is less than 2 M. It also is very unsteady varying from .9 to 2 M.

Does anyone know why this might happen? What I can do next?

Any help would be appreciated.
Leviathan
join:2012-09-02
Bremen, IN

Leviathan

I have the same problem for the most part. I pay for a 4mb service. Between 4pm-1-2amEST, my connection will for from »speedtest.net/result/231 ··· 6357.png to »speedtest.net/result/233 ··· 6024.png For the longest time CenturyLink did everything they could to blame the problem on my end. But after sending countless e-mails/letters to their main office, finally got a reply stating that they have been aware of the severe bandwidth exhaustion in my area for the past 18 months and have no intent on rectifying the problem because it would not be cost effective.

My advice to you would be to find a new provider. If you do the math, what you pay for your 6mb and what you actually get, being ripped off doesn't come close to describing it. In 8 days MediaCom will be here to hook me up with their 20/30mb down 2mb up service for only $14.95/month for 2 years. They have some amazing deals going on right now.
thedoctor9135
Dearborn, MO

thedoctor9135

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately do not have any other service provider options, except satellite (which I had, and it was really bad). I live in the country and am the last person on the line.
bobvick
Premium Member
join:2008-04-01
Brilliant, AL

bobvick

Premium Member

I am a legacy CenturyTel subscriber. I have exactly the same problem that you do. I am provisioned for 4.0/512, however I rarely ever see that speed. It has got to where it is doing good if it reaches 1.3 down and 200kbps up. Sometimes it is as bad as 400-500kbps down, the upload usually stays about 200kpbs, sometimes as high as 400kbps. It is ridiculous how slow it can be.
It is so bad at night, that I ended up getting Exede to be able to surf at night with reasonable speed.
The only reason that I keep CenturyLink is because of the Exede data caps, if it were not for the data caps, or they would raise them, I would drop CTL completely.
The speeds have gotten so bad, that I am thinking about contacting the Alabama Public Service Commission and the Attorney General's Department of Consumer Affairs, since CenturyLink is charging me for something that they are not providing, I doubt it would do much good, but sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
thedoctor9135
Dearborn, MO

thedoctor9135 to Leviathan

to Leviathan
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately do not have any other service provider options, except satellite (which I had, and it was really bad). I live in the country and am the last person on the line.
jharvey6
join:2002-12-20
Minneapolis, MN

jharvey6 to thedoctor9135

to thedoctor9135
I have had the same problems since July with Qwest/CenturyLink. I signed the long term contract with them years ago. Service was always good with qwest, then embarq stepped in. I am asking everyone who is having problems with their dsl provider to file a complaint with your local/state PUC. Charge contract violation due to poor service response and fraudulent marketing because of advertised speeds and connectivity are not maintained. let's see how "cost-effective" it doesn't becomes to NOT provide the service that is being paid for.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to thedoctor9135

to thedoctor9135
Hello all. This is Joey with CenturyLink. We're happy to help with any trouble had with your CenturyLink DSL service. Please send us your account info and details on the trouble you're having to TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com. We'll do all we can to assist. Thank you.

Joey H
@CenturyLinkHelp Team
thedoctor9135
Dearborn, MO

thedoctor9135

Joey,

Do you have an e-mail address where I can reach you?
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink

Hello doc, our email address is above in my post, but it's TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com. Thanks!

Joey H
@CenturyLinkHelp Team