Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

Getting iPhone 5 on Monday

My upgrade eligibility date for my Verizon iPhone 4 came this past Thursday, I get paid on Monday and I plan on heading to the Verizon Wireless store at Holyoke Mall to pick up the iPhone 5.

My current iPhone 4 is the 16 GB version. I think I'll kick it up to 32 GB with the iPhone 5. My new iPad mini is 32 GB but my iPad 3 is 16 GB.

I am thinking of turning my iPhone 4 in at the Verizon store as I was quoted $140 trade in under their device trade in program.

amenite
The Soylent - It's People
Premium
join:2002-11-21
Ridgewood, NJ

I am the opposite mindset I guess. I've had the same phone for literally more than six years. It works. Batteries are cheap. So are antennas (yes it has a retractable antenna that occasionally gets bent). Now that I am about to "upgrade" to another basic phone and they are charging a $30 upgrade/activation fee. That's just ridiculous IMO especially for someone like me who averages fewer than one call to them per year. Hell the last time I called them it was because they screwed up my account all by themselves!
--
Time is an abstract concept invented by carbon based life forms to monitor their constant decay.-Thunderclese

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2

Have you actually tried shopping for one yet? Recently went to a Verizon Wireless store here in Long Island and all they had in stock were smartphones. If you know what you want I am sure you will find it online but my GF (the phone was for her) wanted to look at basic phones to get a fell for them... isn't going to happen at a Verizon store.

overtimeman

join:2006-11-11
Central, SC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..

Set up an account to pay your bill online and when your contract is up and you can get a 100% better deal with Verizon's phones, some free and others at a deep discount.Free shipping and a cinch to activate.Been using this method for years after an associate told me about this when the Verizon store was standing room only!

amenite
Premium
Ridgewood, NJ

1 edit
reply to CXM_Splicer

I've found the phone online only except for one VZW store. It's a 3G flip phone which is probably why no one has it on display (they are pushing 4G now). Only one Verizon store that I found even has one in stock and it's not on display there either. The online price for the new phone has decent discounts and such, price is the going price for a new one. I just think this $30 fee is total bs and I don't want to pay it, but they seem to have it buttoned up tight.

Below is the phone, the sad part is I could buy the smart phone version of it for "free" (the Casio Commando) if were willing to buy a data plan which I am not:

»reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/cas···866.html
--
Time is an abstract concept invented by carbon based life forms to monitor their constant decay.
-Thunderclese

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs

I agree, the $30 fee is bullshit. I manage my account from their web site, I MIGHT call customer service once a year if that. I don't want to attend any of their trainings or "workshops". Just give me my phone, I'll figure it out. Charge the technologically challenged the damn fee when they need help.

I'll be hanging on to my 4s & it's unlimited data as long as I can. It's in mint condition in a Lifeproof case & the battery is easy enough to replace.

When my contract is up next year I'm considering going pre paid.

Upgrade fee, what a rip....
--
Petty people are disproportionally corrupted by petty power

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

I would never go prepaid as the phones offered for prepaid are often inferior compared to those offered to contract customers. The iPhone 5 is only offered for postpaid customers. The iPhone 4 is offered on Virgin Mobile and possibly Cricket.

I also like being able to go over the limit (not an issue for voice or text as its unlimited) as prepaid carriers will cut you off once your balance reaches zero (and you lose your number) so you have to run to the gas station at 11:00 at night before your account runs out to buy more minutes.

My mother is a crossing guard and she crosses the children from the nearby housing projects and one of the kids said to her "you actually have minutes" and my mother replied "my son (me) has an account". We could get a discount from Verizon based on my mother working for the school system but I choose to have the account in my name. She did get a discount when she had AT&T but it was still cheaper just to add her and grandma to my Verizon account.

I just don't like the stigma that comes with prepaid.

As for my mother using the phone at work, she only uses it when she is sitting idle (between the big kids and the little kids) and she puts it down if a kid comes. There is also the time after the kids go home and she is off the clock. She also uses her cell phone to communicate with the crossing guard a block away (the kids call my mother "the nice one" as she is nice to them and the other one an old lady as she yells at them and is strict).

anon anon

@charter.com
reply to IowaCowboy

Those griping about the $30 upgrade fee let me remind you that Verizon was the LAST major carrier to institute this. The others have been doing this for years. Also At&t and Sprint charge $36 to upgrade your phone.

Also you're getting a phone from anywhere from 60% to 95% even with the fee so really why are you complaining? The cheapest IPhone at retail is $650 and even with the upgrade fee it's $230. That's 65% discount.

CXM_Splicer
Premium
NYC

said by anon anon :

Those griping about the $30 upgrade fee let me remind you that Verizon was the LAST major carrier to institute this. The others have been doing this for years.

I never really understood the 'As long as everybody does it, it is Ok' mindset.

amenite
Premium
Ridgewood, NJ
reply to anon anon

said by anon anon :

Those griping about the $30 upgrade fee let me remind you that Verizon was the LAST major carrier to institute this. The others have been doing this for years. Also At&t and Sprint charge $36 to upgrade your phone.

Also you're getting a phone from anywhere from 60% to 95% even with the fee so really why are you complaining? The cheapest IPhone at retail is $650 and even with the upgrade fee it's $230. That's 65% discount.

Well let me remind you of a few points Mr. Anon. Since my last upgrade over 6 years ago Verizon has:
- Removed New every 2 (and the $100 credit that went along with it)
- Received fewer than .5 phone calls from me per year
- Enjoyed 6+ years of me paying my bill on time and in full every month (more like over 10 years really, but who's counting right?)
- Discounts equipment off the MSRP which is a BS price in the first place as we all know
- Realizes revenue from various services used on the "discounted" device, some of them with ludicrous high margins (read SMS)
- Imposes a significant ETF to recoup the discounts and unrealized revenue should one choose to bail on the agreement
--
Time is an abstract concept invented by carbon based life forms to monitor their constant decay.-Thunderclese

anon anon

@charter.com

said by amenite:

said by anon anon :

Well let me remind you of a few points Mr. Anon. Since my last upgrade over 6 years ago Verizon has:
- Removed New every 2 (and the $100 credit that went along with it)
- Received fewer than .5 phone calls from me per year
- Enjoyed 6+ years of me paying my bill on time and in full every month (more like over 10 years really, but who's counting right?)
- Discounts equipment off the MSRP which is a BS price in the first place as we all know
- Realizes revenue from various services used on the "discounted" device, some of them with ludicrous high margins (read SMS)
- Imposes a significant ETF to recoup the discounts and unrealized revenue should one choose to bail on the agreement

Things change. Big Macs used be a quarter now they're like $3. As a 40 year "loyal" customer how come McDonald's doesn't give them to me for 25 cents?

You paid you bill on time? Well your SUPPOSE to pay your bill on time. Why do you think you deserve extra credit for doing what you're supposed to do?

MSRP is MSRP whether you think it's BS or not. You don't get to dictate that. BS is your OPINION. You are not in any position to decide what is the appropriate pricing for an IPhone.

High ETF? Ok show me a carrier that doesn't have one.

anon anon

@charter.com
reply to CXM_Splicer

said by CXM_Splicer:

said by anon anon :

Those griping about the $30 upgrade fee let me remind you that Verizon was the LAST major carrier to institute this. The others have been doing this for years.

I never really understood the 'As long as everybody does it, it is Ok' mindset.

You fail to get the point. ONLY Verizon gets grief over this despite the fact everyone else does it have been doing it longer and in the case of Sprint and At&t charges MORE to upgrade. Yet VERIZON is the bad the guy and with the other 3 major carriers it's totally ignored. Care to explain that?

CXM_Splicer
Premium
NYC

said by anon anon :

You fail to get the point. ONLY Verizon gets grief over this despite the fact everyone else does it have been doing it longer and in the case of Sprint and At&t charges MORE to upgrade. Yet VERIZON is the bad the guy and with the other 3 major carriers it's totally ignored. Care to explain that?

Simple, you haven't been reading dslreports.com enough! People complain about added fees all the time, and it is not limited to Verizon.

»AT&T Doubles Phone Upgrade Fee

»T-Mobile Quietly Reinstates Handset Upgrade Fee

»Sprint Modifies Their 'Unfees'

Strangely, all of these threads have corporate defenders trying to pacify the complaints by claiming these are 'no big deal' or 'just the cost of doing business'... so yes, I totally get 'the point'. People should gripe about added fees that the company did absolutely fine without, they should GRIPE LOUDLY!!!