spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

KevinSac1

@charter.com

Mounting TV on brick fireplace - what screws and where?

I'm looking to mount a LCD above a brick fireplace. I've looked online and found conflicting information. My main questions at this point are:

1) What screws should I use (and how long should they be)? Some people say use Tapcon, some say don't.

2) Where in the brick should I drill the holes? I was thinking into the brick, not near the edges but I saw that some people say drill in the masonry between bricks.

3) Do I *have* to use a hammer drill or can I use a normal power drill with a masonry bit and be careful?

Thanks!

ArthurS
Watch Those Blinking Lights
Premium
join:2000-10-28
Hamilton, ON

1 recommendation

JMHO, but TV's don't belong above a fire place, especially if you continue to use the fireplace. Heat does not fare well with electronics.

How do you plan to get the cables to the TV?

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
said by ArthurS:

JMHO, but TV's don't belong above a fire place, especially if you continue to use the fireplace. Heat does not fare well with electronics.

I've seen good and bad. It really depends on the fireplace. If it's low enough, or people are sitting far enough back, it can work. Often it does ends up being uncomfortably high though. Same goes for the heat - if it's a natural gas fireplace, they don't generally put out enough heat to cause concern.

It's pretty common for people to have wax candles on their mantle. If it really got THAT hot up there, they'd melt. My wax candles actually melt more in the summer if I leave the house with the AC off.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to KevinSac1
That is going to be a hard place to get a solid mount. Could you post a couple of pics of your fireplace? What TV are you wanting to mount (please include model number)? What mount are you planning on using?

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
reply to KevinSac1
Don't drill the mortar joint, that's the weakest place to install any masonry mounting.

I would use vinyl screw anchors and at least 5/16 x 1-1/2" lag bolts. Drill a 3/8 hole into the center of the face of the brick and tap in the anchor.

You can use a regular drill it just takes a little longer to do the job compared to a hammer drill.

--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
reply to KevinSac1
IMHO TV's don't belong above a fireplace and to drill a brick fireplace to mount one is well.........But then it's your neck that will take the beating watching it.

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

1 recommendation

said by Jack_in_VA:

IMHO TV's don't belong above a fireplace and to drill a brick fireplace to mount one is well.........But then it's your neck that will take the beating watching it.

+1 i just don't understand WHY people want to put them there. A fireplace is something you may need to use for survival during an emergency with a fire going for days. One day the TV will need replacing as well and replacement may use a different mount. Then figure wires and cables you need to run to the TV. And how about blu-ray players,cable box DVRS and whatever else ? Save yourself trouble now hang nice pictures over the fireplace and set TV up elsewhere.

KevinSac1

@charter.com
reply to jack b
@jack b: Thanks.

@ everyone else: I'm aware of the other issues with mounting a tv above a fireplace (heat, height, neck strain, cable management, etc.) . If you want to debate those things, I suggest you start a new thread. This one is not about those those things.

Thanks!

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
reply to KevinSac1
People always forget about all the wiring. The mount is sometimes nothing compared to getting the darn wiring into the right place without being visible and looking like crap. I would mount on a normal wall.

bryank

join:2000-03-23
Plainfield, IL

1 edit
reply to KevinSac1
As a professional installer for the past 8 years, I have done hundreds of mountings on brick fireplaces. You would want to drill into the mortar using a concrete anchor and a standard lag bolt. Most of the mounts we use come with these anchors but I guess it depends on which mount you get.

The anchors that come the mounts are like these:
»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R···fLIa4mGc

The reason for mounting into the mortar is when you insert the concrete anchor and use the lag, it will expand and push and hold against the adjacent bricks. A hammer drill will work the best and go the quickest, but I guess work with what you got.

Using this method, I have never had any problems wall a TV falling or coming loose and I have mount some pretty big and heavy TV's on brick. When it comes to really heavy TV's, I sometimes turn to RedHeads.

»www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R···lzIa4mGc

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3
reply to KevinSac1
You are required to post a picture.

Is this a full brick fireplace or just a brick facade?

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by jjoshua:

You are required to post a picture.

Is this a full brick fireplace or just a brick facade?

+1

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to jack b
said by jack b:

Don't drill the mortar joint, that's the weakest place to install any masonry mounting.

said by bryank:

You would want to drill into the mortar using a concrete anchor and a standard lag bolt.

This is why I love this forum.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
reply to KevinSac1
I'm not going to start a new thread. Hanging a TV above a fireplace isn't the best location as already explained.
That being said:

Avoid Tapcon like the plague. Use properly sized (for weight) screws and anchors.
Just an example: If your TV and mount weigh 100#, and you have 4 screws rated at 40# each (160# total), you are golden.

DO NOT use the mortar joint. Drill into the brick. I've been mounting heavy expensive stuff onto brick for decades. Trust me.

A hammer drill will make for quicker work.
A regular carbide masonry bit will work if it is sharp (still has it's edges) and you have a lot of time.
I used to drill the shit with a star drill and hammer - now that was time consuming.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to KevinSac1
said by KevinSac1 :

@jack b: Thanks.

@ everyone else: I'm aware of the other issues with mounting a tv above a fireplace (heat, height, neck strain, cable management, etc.) . If you want to debate those things, I suggest you start a new thread. This one is not about those those things.

Thanks!

I have soft Mexican bricks. I wouldn't do that at my house.

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to KevinSac1
said by KevinSac1 :

Thanks!

sorry bud but you came in here and asked for advise from registered members...

everybody gave their own piece of their mind, whether you like the answer or not is for you to choose...

in my situation, I have a TV niche above a venteless fireplace which I've never used. if I could go back to when the house was being built, I would have them build a wall for the tv to be mounted properly.

KevinSac1

@charter.com
reply to jjoshua
@Jack_in_VA: Full red brick, wood burning fireplace built 25 years ago. I'm not sure a picture would be of much help unless you don't know what bricks or mortar look like in which case you won't be much help in this thread anyway.

Thanks!

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
said by KevinSac1 :

@Jack_in_VA: Full red brick, wood burning fireplace built 25 years ago. I'm not sure a picture would be of much help unless you don't know what bricks or mortar look like in which case you won't be much help in this thread anyway.

Thanks!

are you still using the fireplace?
Expand your moderator at work

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

2 recommendations

reply to cdru

Re: Mounting TV on brick fireplace - what screws and where?

said by cdru:

said by jack b:

said by bryank:

You would want to drill into the mortar using a concrete anchor and a standard lag bolt.

Both answers are correct. It depends on the bricks and mortar and how the fireplace was build. The original poster doesn't seem to understand that by providing a picture he would get a better answer specific to his situation instead of generic responses.

With brittle bricks (common clay bricks) or engineered bricks with cavities in them and a wide band of good mortar between layers of brick I would put the anchors into the mortar. In most cases (good solid bricks or thin layer of mortar) I would drill the bricks instead.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

natedj
Elected
Premium
join:2001-06-06
Columbia, SC

1 recommendation

reply to cdru
said by cdru:

said by jack b:

said by bryank:

These answers can both be right because the typical mortar joint is 3/8" wide, so the anchors with essentially be pushing on the top and bottom bricks if a hole was drilled in the mortar joints. Drilling in the brick is fine too although (and its rare) but you run the risk of splitting the brick.

You never did say what your plans were for cable management.
Typically when you get answers on both end of the spectrum (drill the mortar/ drill the brick) is safe to say that they will both work, so I would give the quality of anchors your'e using so more concern too.

If it were me I would not mount a TV over a fireplace, but if you held a gun to my head, I'd choose the mortar joint with an anchor large enough the compress against the brick. It is easier to patch the mortar hole if you choose to move the TV later on than to patch a hole in the brick.
--
Good judgement comes with experience...Experience comes after bad judgements

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by natedj:

You never did say what your plans were for cable management.

I've been waiting for the answer to that too.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to KevinSac1
said by KevinSac1 :

I'm not sure a picture would be of much help unless you don't know what bricks or mortar look like in which case you won't be much help in this thread anyway.

The picture helps because it's a REQUIREMENT FOR NON-REGISTERED MEMBERS such as yourself to post a picture when asking a question. If you don't agree with the rule, that's fine, but then don't post here.

The folks in this forum tend to be very friendly and helpful. They aren't asking for a pic just to be dicks, but because it MIGHT be helpful.

That said, I'm a fan of tapcons when the holes are properly drilled with the proper bit and a hammer drill. When the holes are improperly drilled, tapcons don't work.

KevinSac1

@charter.com
reply to leibold
Thanks lelbold! I've attached a picture.

Thanks!

KevinSac1

@charter.com
reply to Jack_in_VA
Just to be clear, this thread is about mounting a TV on a brick fireplace, not about cable management or an opinion piece if you think it is a good idea or will cause neck strain. These are worthy topics but I think they should have their own thread and not hijack this one. If someone asked a question about a manual clutch slipping on the automotive forum, you wouldn't respond saying that you don't understand why people drive manual transmission cars and that you don't recommend it, would you?

Since many people have asked and I look like an ass for not answering, I'm planning on running the cables orthogonal to the floor until they clear the fireplace and connect them to the appropriate devices. Obviously I'm not going to hand them down in front of the fireplace Just to head the discussion off now, I'm not against a discussion about routing out the mortar and burying the cables or a different solution but that should be a different thread IMHO.

Thanks!

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 recommendation

reply to KevinSac1

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to natedj
Based on the picture I'd think either way would be fine for mechanical strength.
However natedj See Profile raises an important point that I didn't consider:
said by natedj:

It is easier to patch the mortar hole if you choose to move the TV later on than to patch a hole in the brick.

Based on that good advise I'd pick a horizontal mortar joint (anchor will be sandwiched between bricks on the top and bottom).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Dell User
Premium
join:2002-01-21
Waterford, CT
reply to KevinSac1
I know its of topic a little,,, but another option for you to consider would be the use of a ceiling mount.

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD
reply to nunya
said by nunya:

Avoid Tapcon like the plague. Use properly sized (for weight) screws and anchors.
Just an example: If your TV and mount weigh 100#, and you have 4 screws rated at 40# each (160# total), you are golden.

A quick note about this:

For a TV mount, the tension (pull-out) rating of the fastener doesn't have much to do with the weight of the TV. TV mounts with arms that allow the TV to swing out from the wall will put far more tensile load on the top two fasteners than the raw weight of the TV. If we just divided the weight of the TV by four to determine the fastener rating, you could mount a 4000 pound TV with 3/16" tapcons.

Check the instructions on your mount to see what fasteners you need.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
And speaking of fastener pull-out, I wonder just how much strength a sand mix grout joint has to offer compared to the brick.

I am willing to bet certainly a lot less than the brick itself using the exact same anchor/fastener combo.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~