share rss forum feed

natedj
Elected
Premium
join:2001-06-06
Columbia, SC

1 recommendation

reply to cdru

Re: Mounting TV on brick fireplace - what screws and where?

said by cdru:

said by jack b:

Don't drill the mortar joint, that's the weakest place to install any masonry mounting.

said by bryank:

You would want to drill into the mortar using a concrete anchor and a standard lag bolt.

This is why I love this forum.

These answers can both be right because the typical mortar joint is 3/8" wide, so the anchors with essentially be pushing on the top and bottom bricks if a hole was drilled in the mortar joints. Drilling in the brick is fine too although (and its rare) but you run the risk of splitting the brick.

You never did say what your plans were for cable management.
Typically when you get answers on both end of the spectrum (drill the mortar/ drill the brick) is safe to say that they will both work, so I would give the quality of anchors your'e using so more concern too.

If it were me I would not mount a TV over a fireplace, but if you held a gun to my head, I'd choose the mortar joint with an anchor large enough the compress against the brick. It is easier to patch the mortar hole if you choose to move the TV later on than to patch a hole in the brick.
--
Good judgement comes with experience...Experience comes after bad judgements

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by natedj:

You never did say what your plans were for cable management.

I've been waiting for the answer to that too.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
Reviews:
·Mediacom
·Callcentric
·Dish Network
reply to KevinSac1
said by KevinSac1 :

I'm not sure a picture would be of much help unless you don't know what bricks or mortar look like in which case you won't be much help in this thread anyway.

The picture helps because it's a REQUIREMENT FOR NON-REGISTERED MEMBERS such as yourself to post a picture when asking a question. If you don't agree with the rule, that's fine, but then don't post here.

The folks in this forum tend to be very friendly and helpful. They aren't asking for a pic just to be dicks, but because it MIGHT be helpful.

That said, I'm a fan of tapcons when the holes are properly drilled with the proper bit and a hammer drill. When the holes are improperly drilled, tapcons don't work.

KevinSac1

@charter.com
reply to leibold
Thanks lelbold! I've attached a picture.

Thanks!

KevinSac1

@charter.com
reply to Jack_in_VA
Just to be clear, this thread is about mounting a TV on a brick fireplace, not about cable management or an opinion piece if you think it is a good idea or will cause neck strain. These are worthy topics but I think they should have their own thread and not hijack this one. If someone asked a question about a manual clutch slipping on the automotive forum, you wouldn't respond saying that you don't understand why people drive manual transmission cars and that you don't recommend it, would you?

Since many people have asked and I look like an ass for not answering, I'm planning on running the cables orthogonal to the floor until they clear the fireplace and connect them to the appropriate devices. Obviously I'm not going to hand them down in front of the fireplace Just to head the discussion off now, I'm not against a discussion about routing out the mortar and burying the cables or a different solution but that should be a different thread IMHO.

Thanks!

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom

1 recommendation

reply to KevinSac1

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to natedj
Based on the picture I'd think either way would be fine for mechanical strength.
However natedj See Profile raises an important point that I didn't consider:
said by natedj:

It is easier to patch the mortar hole if you choose to move the TV later on than to patch a hole in the brick.

Based on that good advise I'd pick a horizontal mortar joint (anchor will be sandwiched between bricks on the top and bottom).
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Dell User
Premium
join:2002-01-21
Waterford, CT
reply to KevinSac1
I know its of topic a little,,, but another option for you to consider would be the use of a ceiling mount.

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD
reply to nunya
said by nunya:

Avoid Tapcon like the plague. Use properly sized (for weight) screws and anchors.
Just an example: If your TV and mount weigh 100#, and you have 4 screws rated at 40# each (160# total), you are golden.

A quick note about this:

For a TV mount, the tension (pull-out) rating of the fastener doesn't have much to do with the weight of the TV. TV mounts with arms that allow the TV to swing out from the wall will put far more tensile load on the top two fasteners than the raw weight of the TV. If we just divided the weight of the TV by four to determine the fastener rating, you could mount a 4000 pound TV with 3/16" tapcons.

Check the instructions on your mount to see what fasteners you need.

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
And speaking of fastener pull-out, I wonder just how much strength a sand mix grout joint has to offer compared to the brick.

I am willing to bet certainly a lot less than the brick itself using the exact same anchor/fastener combo.
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by jack b:

And speaking of fastener pull-out, I wonder just how much strength a sand mix grout joint has to offer compared to the brick.

I am willing to bet certainly a lot less than the brick itself using the exact same anchor/fastener combo.

Put a good anchor in it instead of a tapcon.

SE14 1/4'' - 20 x 1-3/8'' should hold the bracket very well.

Single expansion anchors

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD
Yeah, I'd be tempted to use an oversized fastener in the mortar joints rather than drilling through the brick. Holes can be patched up much more easily that way if you want to get rid of the TV. As noted, the mortar joint will not provide the same strength that most solid brick will, but a 5/16" or 3/8" lag with a lag shield or plastic insert is pretty much guaranteed to hold a TV mount. The ones jack linked are great, but hard to get out in the future.

jester121
Premium
join:2003-08-09
Lake Zurich, IL
reply to jack b
said by jack b:

The point of using the space between the bricks is to fill it with fastener which is touching brick above and below, which are the directions in which the force of gravity will be exerted. There's mortar on the left and right of the anchor, but there's not much horizontal force at play, so no biggie. Bricks have voids inside and are thus likely to crack, and patch work (matching shades) is no fun.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to ArthurS
said by ArthurS:

JMHO, but TV's don't belong above a fire place, especially if you continue to use the fireplace. Heat does not fare well with electronics.

Neither do combustion products and soot...
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.