uniqs

MineCoast
Premium Member
join:2004-10-06
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast

Premium Member

Possible GPU Issue?

My system is nearly 5 years old and I have been running an 8800GT the entire time. As of late, the following has been happening:

1. During one of 3D Mark's test, I noticed the graphics "skipping" abnormally then the program crashed.

2. At least once, perhaps twice, got a notice in my task bar that my video driver recovered.

3. Sims 3 won't run, graphics are a mess (missing text and images) and eventually crashes before can even play. The game also wants to keep defaulting to lowest resolution, 800x600

4. I was watching some flash videos online and the video started having odd issues (odd flashing/freezing, color changes, etc) and eventually got a notice that flash player crashed.

5. GTA IV acting a little odd... keeps wanting to default to lowest resolution, 800x600.

This is a fresh install of Sims 3... my system has always played sims 3 without any issue in the past, but this is the first time after a reinstall of windows. I updated my video drivers hoping it would fix the issue but of course it didn't.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance
Da Man
join:2008-05-08
Hanover, PA

Da Man

Bake it.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to MineCoast

Premium Member

to MineCoast
Run GPU-Z and see how hot it's running.

MineCoast
Premium Member
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast

Premium Member

Idle

Load
said by Thordrune:

Run GPU-Z and see how hot it's running.

MineCoast

MineCoast

Premium Member

I think I am going to go get some thermal grease and clean up the GPU/HSF and see if that helps... these temps seem a bit high and the fan goes to 100% even on the loading screen of the sims. It sucks that the nearest computer store is across town 1+ hour round trip.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune

Premium Member

That fan must sound horrible if it is really running at 10,000+ RPM . But yeah, I'd say that's where your problems lie. That card shouldn't be idling at 89 C. It appears to have gone past 100 C under load, which is definitely not good.

MineCoast
Premium Member
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast

Premium Member

said by Thordrune:

That fan must sound horrible if it is really running at 10,000+ RPM . But yeah, I'd say that's where your problems lie. That card shouldn't be idling at 89 C. It appears to have gone past 100 C under load, which is definitely not good.

Yep. It is very loud.