dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

torobull123
join:2009-06-20

torobull123

Re: Bricked WRT54GL v1.1. Toronto repair shop?

would anyone recommend this for a n00b?

»www.ebay.ca/itm/JTAG-Cab ··· 0wt_1397
singerie3
anon are muted
join:2008-10-12
Montreal, QC

singerie3

it shouldn't be too hard to put it on the router board, even if you have to solder it. but the whole jtag process... i'm not sure.

check the tftp method before. i managed to unbrick a router by doing that.

»www.dd-wrt.ca/wiki/index ··· ad_Flash

torobull123

torobull123

said by torobull123:

would anyone recommend this for a n00b?

»www.ebay.ca/itm/JTAG-Cab ··· 0wt_1397

The seller says that his provides a super easy De-bricking Repair guide.

What do you think?
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord

I have his kit. It is easy for me, but I'm quite used to fiddling with embedded systems and firmware, and soldering. As in, that's a big part of what I do for a living.

torobull123

1 edit

torobull123

said by mlord:

I have his kit. It is easy for me, but I'm quite used to fiddling with embedded systems and firmware, and soldering. As in, that's a big part of what I do for a living.

Can you tell me the software that is used with this package?

Did it work for you?

Will this work in the case that i flashed the router with the WRONG firmware. As the tjtag method only seems to do a nvram reset and not a firmware .bin reflash.
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord

said by torobull123:

Can you tell me the software that is used with this package? Did it work for you?

Will this work in the case that i flashed the router with the WRONG firmware. As the tjtag method only seems to do a nvram reset and not a firmware .bin reflash?

The JTAG can be used to debrick anything that got messed up, EXCEPT if the processor has been overclocked incorrectly --> recovering from that is trickier, because the clock speed is set very very early during initialization. It is possible though, by shorting pins on the flash chip temporarily.

I think I used tjtag3-0-1 under Linux. The MS-Windows version didn't work as well when I tried it. This was all 2 years ago.