uniqs
share rss forum feed

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

1 edit
reply to norwegian

Re: [hard drive] I have a new 160GB HDD coming.

Both ATA-6 and 7 incorporate 48-bit LBA. UDMA100 and 133 refer to the interface transfer rate.
--
KI6RIT

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

I understand that - how does it help or not help the OP here?
Are you saying once the O/S has been updated to XP SP1 at least, then the extension entries in the Microsoft article posted already will help?

As you do not have the uploaded bios image to work with - as it was deleted, you can not see the settings in bios.

I read off it's image of the bios setting, it was one of those cheaper bios firmwares that did not allow all settings the motherboard could cope with - nothing new for this OEM company.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA

I was just clarifying. You stated "Windows requires the second to enable the "larger than 137GB" partitioning." when that's not the case. One of my old PCs has an older VIA chipset that's capable of UDMA100. It works perfectly with a 200 GB hard drive.

What I was referring to with the XP installation is that if it's capable of going around the BIOS limitation and partitioning the full capacity, it will. If it simply queries the BIOS for the drive size and displays 137 GB/128 GiB, then that'll be all that can be used for installation. The remainder will be shown and can be partitioned separately in Disk Management when XP is installed and booted up. Either way, it shouldn't fail setup because the drive may be bigger than what the BIOS sees.

I can check it for sure tomorrow at work. There's a few old Promise PCI IDE cards laying around that haven't been updated to support 48-bit LBA. I'll take one of those, a spare 160+ GB drive, and test it with an XP SP3 install disc.
--
KI6RIT

norwegian
Premium
Outback

I'll be interested to see the results.

For the OP, what is the install disk of Windows for the project - pre XP SP1 or an SP3 install disk?

I wonder still if there is a limited bios of DELL on this laptop that is affecting the end result. DELL support only lists 20, 40, 60 and 80gb hard drives in the IDE/EIDE driver package. Hence my earlier comment on DELL OEM bios, the motherboard is fine, the bios firmware is not.

Downloads page:
»www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/···ude-d500
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to n_w95482

said by n_w95482:

Both ATA-6 and 7 incorporate 48-bit LBA. UDMA100 and 133 refer to the interface transfer rate.

said by n_w95482:

I wish I had a similar laptop and a spare large drive to test with. The closest thing I have is my work laptop, a Latitude D410 with a 320 GB IDE drive and Windows 7. It works perfectly.

These 2 items suggest the OP would be fine then?
--

n_w95482
Premium
Ukiah, CA

It's hard to say. The D410 jumped ahead a bit with the southbridge (ICH6-M vs ICH4-M), so that all but disqualifies it. FWIW, its BIOS is 48-bit-capable.

One thing I will add from my testing with the IDE card is partitioning the remainder of the drive (400 GB Hitachi) with GParted. With XP using the driver that it came with, it refused to boot when a second partition was created in GParted beyond the 128 GiB one I created with the XP setup. Primary, extended/logical, unformatted, formatted. It didn't matter. XP also didn't see anything after the 128 GiB (in other words, no unallocated space) with the stock driver.

In every case, deleting the second partition restored XP to a functioning state. Based on the fact that formatting in NTFS consumes a small amount of space (~64 MB on that drive I think), and that said used space was beyond the original 128 GiB, I would say the LBA wraparound issue mentioned elsewhere may not be a problem.

After loading the latest driver on Promise's site (48-bit capable), XP happily saw and partitioned all of the unallocated space. The same thing happened when I fed the XP setup the newer drivers via floppy, although it wasn't able to install (it kept complaining it couldn't find the drivers THAT IT JUST LOADED...). I've had that problem every time I've tried loading drivers via floppy/F6 prompt while doing a fresh XP SP3 install. Slipstreaming the necessary driver always works for me though. I didn't feel like going through the effort of doing that though .
--
KI6RIT