uniqs
share rss forum feed

prof4ne

@sbcglobal.net

New U-Verse HSI install jitter issues

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
To make an extremely long and confusing story short, AT&T shut off my DSL service for no reason, took a week to sort it out until I was FORCED to just upgrade to U-Verse HSI and I'm not happy. Since being switched from normal ADSL to U-Verse HSI, I've been having really bad latency and jitter issues that never existed before.

I do a lot of online gaming (XBL mostly) and almost every online session, I get hiccups or bad ping. I'm only on the 6/1mb plan and I know that's not the issue here and after extensive reading, I'm sure you all would like to see my UV Realtime stats.

Nuckfuts
Premium
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL

This is happening due to the fact that AT&T is phasing out old ADSL and forcing customers to their U-Verse brand of ADSL2+ fed from the CO or from a VRAD using VDSL. Your stats look good and you are on VDSL fed from a VRAD. Your service is the triple play (TV, Internet, Phone). VDSL is interlaced which adds latency. I am on the same thing you are and about the same distance and play on XBL currently playing CODBOP2. You can try some of these setting and see if they help. I gained a few ms of latency when I switched but nothing too noticeable. As others have posted in here interlaced VDSL is not the way to go for FPS. I do not have too many issues but many others have.

»www.charlieintel.com/bo2-intel/t···gaphant/

profane

join:2010-10-10

Thanks for the response but I actually don't have their TV or Phone Service. I do use Vonage though. I will try out those settings and see if it helps any.

Btw, do you know or maybe have read if AT&T is planning on doing something about this issue or at least have taken notice?

Mangix

join:2012-02-16
united state
reply to prof4ne

you say you're on the 6/1 plan but from the graph, that doesn't look like it.

try getting your modem swapped for a 3600HG-V. check this post for more info: »Re: Slow internet U-verse 12mbit

profane

Well, I definitely am as you can see and that ping is the best I've had so far...weird.

What exactly do I tell them to get the 3600? Is it that much more reliable? Would they charge?

They actually waived all the installation fees for me when they forced me to upgrade because it was such a confusing situation.

dave006

join:1999-12-26
Boca Raton, FL
reply to Mangix

said by Mangix:

you say you're on the 6/1 plan but from the graph, that doesn't look like it.

try getting your modem swapped for a 3600HG-V. check this post for more info: »Re: Slow internet U-verse 12mbit

The OP is really on the 6/1 speed profile. The UV Realtime tool is reporting the service profile and the capacity of the OP's line not their actual HSI service offering.

For the OP, U-verse VDSL is only provisioned as interleaved which adds to your line's latency vs what you had with your previous DSL.

Switching to a 3600 modem will have no impact.

Dave

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

2 edits

The 3600 is actually more failure prone than the 3800/3801. Wierd, I don't know how people are having such high pings on U-verse. On my VDSL2 line with a triple play bundle I had 25ms latency to NY from CT.

I don't have U-verse internet anymore but this is what I had:

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

Click for full size
Click for full size
For reference here are my stats/bitloading

We are about 250 feet from the VRAD if I follow the road where the line comes.

profane

reply to dave006

said by dave006 See Profile
The OP is really on the 6/1 speed profile. The UV Realtime tool is reporting the service profile and the capacity of the OP's line not their actual HSI service offering.

For the OP, U-verse VDSL is only provisioned as interleaved which adds to your line's latency vs what you had with your previous DSL.

Switching to a 3600 modem will have no impact.

Dave [/quote :

How would I go about getting their ADSL2+ service then? I'm considering switching to Brighthouse but I don't wanna go through the hassle if there's still something I can do.

I just don't understand how this "upgrade" as they call it, is actually worse than old 90's DSL tech which worked flawlessly. I don't even want their TV or any other service for that matter, why push this crap upon me?

They also did it in a very unprofessional manner, turning my old DSL service off with no e-mail, letter, phone call...nothing, then try to charge me for 2 accounts which took weeks to sort out.

Darknessfall
Premium

Once you go VDSL you cannot go back . I still don't know why your pings are so high.

profane

said by Darknessfall:

Once you go VDSL you cannot go back . I still don't know why your pings are so high.

Me neither. I tried changing settings according to a few recommendations and it never helped.

DataRiker
Premium
join:2002-05-19
reply to Darknessfall

said by Darknessfall:

I still don't know why your pings are so high.

This is not abnormal for Uverse at all. Actually very typical.

Darknessfall
Premium

@DataRiker
Look at my pings above. I'm on VDSL2 with only 25ms from CT to NY. Maybe I was just lucky O_o?

DataRiker
Premium

said by Darknessfall:

@DataRiker
Look at my pings above. I'm on VDSL2 with only 25ms from CT to NY. Maybe I was just lucky O_o?

Very lucky.

Darknessfall
Premium

That's also on wireless with 3.5 bars :P.

Mangix

join:2012-02-16
united state
reply to Darknessfall

my experience with my 3600HG-V and my friend's 3800HG-V and 3801HG-V is different. He always has issues whereas I don't. We live pretty close to each other as well.

My guess is that the OP's issues are due to the gateway. I could be wrong but my experience suggests otherwise.

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06
kudos:1
reply to DataRiker

Guess I was "lucky" too.

...or it could be the fact that the technology is in fact capable of lower pings. People just complain about the interleaving because it hurts their e-penis.

(Though U-verse doesn't always have the best routing, which can contribute to higher latency as well, so I guess I am "lucky" in that aspect.)

profane

Yea...you are lucky. Have a look at this without doing this

Nuckfuts
Premium
join:2003-10-18
Joliet, IL

It could be bad routing from your area. This is what I got. Have you done a trace route?

DataRiker
Premium

40 to 50 ms is very typical of uverse. I've put in hundreds and I've actually never seen a sub 30 ms ping. So take from that what u will.

They use different fiber cards in some areas so that would probably explain some of the discrepancy.

profane

reply to Nuckfuts

said by Nuckfuts:

It could be bad routing from your area. This is what I got. Have you done a trace route?

Yes, it's hit or miss with those. Sometimes they're decent, sometimes they're really craphouse. There's even been a couple times where it would time out on the RG.