share rss forum feed

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28

Blog: Recent Developments in Canadian Copyright Law

Hey all,

I posted a short blog on Friday but didn't have a chance to get back here to tell you guys.

Here's the link: »wp.me/p1YIXQ-7U

Tomorrow we will also be sending out a customer email notice along with a French version.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy
Expand your moderator at work

Thanks2

@teksavvy.com
reply to TSI Marc

Re: Blog: Recent Developments in Canadian Copyright Law

thanks for this post.

piracy used to be mostly in 3rd world countries as most people living there can barely afford food, and everyone needs art/entertainment...and a way to get it...

piracy is here right now thanks to the new state of the `middle class` in our country.

as anything else, the governments once again chose to protect the `rights` of the big corporations.

spending millions of tax dollars to protect corporate profits instead of helping citizens make a decent wage -enough to help them pay and be ok with purchasing songs, movies, games etc. sad state of afairs.

Jaxom

join:2012-03-10
East York, ON
reply to TSI Marc
Tips:

- Don't seed torrents. As soon as you get your stuff, disconnect.

- Look into switching to newsgroups. You don't upload so the lawyers don't go after you. I pay $10 a month for unlimited.

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON
Reviews:
·MTS
said by Jaxom:

Tips:

- Look into switching to newsgroups. You don't upload so the lawyers don't go after you. I pay $10 a month for unlimited.

Even those are now being targeted.

»www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/i···own.html

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX
said by mazhurg:

said by Jaxom:

Tips:

Even those are now being targeted.

»www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/i···own.html

Thats not a newsgroup being targetted but a Indexing site simmilar to a torrent tracker.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

Jaxom

join:2012-03-10
East York, ON
reply to TSI Marc
I guess it should be mentioned also that some people also swear by private torrent sites. I guess they feel they are less likely to get caught.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to TSI Marc
Both USENET providers and private torrent sites are being targeted too.

Dones

join:2008-02-14
Toronto, ON
reply to TSI Marc
So we don't get 3 strikes like the states? We go straight to court?

Anon1234

@teksavvy.com
reply to TSI Marc
Does anyone know when the new laws go into effect?

metalhawk

join:2007-02-06
Nepean, ON
It was November 1st, if I'm not mistaking.

Jinzo

join:2011-06-14
Burlington, ON
I used to be on Cogeco and they would just pass on the infringement MSG. I am assuming this will be the case here.

I was curious about Number 2. How will you notify us that somebody has gotten a court order against our account? Will it be the same as Number 1

Mark I was also curious how Teksavvy use to handle infringement notifications? Where these drop in the past?

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to TSI Marc
1) Props to TSI for sending out an email to everyone, and one in plain english so everyone understands TSI's position and knows their rights.

2) Another props to TSI for taking the stance they have (privacy over corporate interests) and yet again reminding me of why I recommend TSI over Rogers/Bell/etc every time

3) Everyone please keep in mind bittorrent is merely a neutral technology, and a perfectly legal and useful one at that. It saves distribution and bandwidth costs and can even be used to legally download "backup" copies of media you already own. +1 for BT!

I hope TSI's stance doesn't change in the future and while the big 3 might not value my privacy, I certainly do and I'm glad TSI does as well.
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to Jaxom
said by Jaxom:

I guess it should be mentioned also that some people also swear by private torrent sites. I guess they feel they are less likely to get caught.

It doesn't make you 100% safe, but it does in fact lessen the chances.

A common way of catching downloaders is for the copyright holder to join the torrent, logging the IP of all clients that connect to them. When your torrent client connects to this seed, they log your IP, and you're caught.

Thus, public torrents are much more susceptible to this kind of tracking than a private torrent site, especially one which only allows registrations by invitation.

jubjub107

join:2010-11-28
reply to TSI Marc
What about downloads from sites such as rapidshare?

MJB

join:2012-01-29
reply to TSI Marc
use jump sticks for filesharing not the internet old fashion way

Etobicoke, ON
said by MJB:

use jump sticks for filesharing not the internet old fashion way

The files have to be downloaded somehow. They don't magically appear on the USB key.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to jubjub107
said by jubjub107:

What about downloads from sites such as rapidshare?

With recent changes to RapidShare it'll have a huge impact on the kind of content you would express concern over.

donkey

join:2008-04-08
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Acanac

1 recommendation

reply to TSI Marc
This email was sent as HTML-only. To view it, please visit:
»*.infusionsoft.com/app/hostedEma···lah/bleh

If you no longer wish to receive our emails, click the link below:
»*.infusionsoft.com/app/optOut/FUblah blah

thanks for the email, next time don't use a third party company that's going to spam me in the future.

Not professional at all.

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com
reply to TSI Marc
Thunderbird flag the email message on the TSI copyright notice that I have received.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Received: by 10.58.186.167 with SMTP id fl7csp423962vec; Mon, 3 Dec 2012 21:29:40 -0800 (PST)
Received: by 10.68.194.6 with SMTP id hs6mr35652962pbc.77.1354598979706; Mon, 03 Dec 2012 21:29:39 -0800 (PST)
Return-Path:
Received: from mta-c-24-38.infusionmail.com (mta-c-24-38.infusionmail.com. [208.76.24.38]) by mx.google.com with ESMTP id h8si253350pay.105.2012.12.03.21.29.39; Mon, 03 Dec 2012 21:29:39 -0800 (PST)
Received-SPF: pass (google.com: domain of mailer@infusionmail.com designates 208.76.24.38 as permitted sender) client-ip=208.76.24.38;
Authentication-Results: mx.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of mailer@infusionmail.com designates 208.76.24.38 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=mailer@infusionmail.com; dkim=pass header.i=@infusionmail.com
Return-Path:
DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha1; d=infusionmail.com; s=dkim1024; c=simple/relaxed; q=dns/txt; i=@infusionmail.com; t=1354598979; h=From:Sender:Subject:Date:To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; bh=JrYqp7qH0zCK9LeZSzhejV7gnu4=; b=Nph+pjM3/UdMpFCQvAeO4vPKs2UDfs9S3icRmNOog3ACfY2N0RAproyLZY0aniNV 1PkkLzKaG2POTUoLh0OesV6s0Rv7zDjWttHCYM2AHf4qTKyAr1WKBVatJfF060hO 9QqQl2CNScKNMTX/d2uIrJx2q8P7n+MFRivaGwle7Dg=;
Pool-Debug: oe972 value
Pool-Name: default_value
x-sieve: enabled
Pool-Version: 2
Received: from [10.0.0.223] ([10.0.0.223:36450] helo=hotspot) by smokescreen (envelope-from ) (ecelerity 3.4.2.33820 r(MessageSystems/Momo-dev:9fc2f41b555d)) with ESMTP id C1/B0-19499-34A8DB05; Tue, 04 Dec 2012 00:29:39 -0500
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 00:29:38 -0500 (EST)
Sender: mailer@infusionmail.com
---------------------------------------------------------------
>Recent Developments in Canadian Copyright Law

Recent changes to Canadian copyright law have been making news headlines. Many of our customers have been wondering what the changes mean and what role Internet Service Providers like TekSavvy will play in upholding the new law.
:
:

For more information please go to: »www.teksavvy.com/en/
why-teksavvy/in-the-news/teksavvy-customer-notices/copyright-law-in-canada

BUT the actual link is

»oe972.infusionsoft.com/app/
linkClick/2109/85c6efab5b93cafa/647675/554c9f60f3092a3c

If this is not a flake, please in the future DO NOT USE A LINK that have different URL than the displayed. Mozilla Thunderbird WILL flag it as a SCAM.

Please note that passing your clients' info to a 3rd party mailer: infusionsoft.com is a violation to privacy.

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to d4m1r
said by d4m1r:

1) Props to TSI for sending out an email to everyone, and one in plain english so everyone understands TSI's position and knows their rights.

2) Another props to TSI for taking the stance they have (privacy over corporate interests) and yet again reminding me of why I recommend TSI over Rogers/Bell/etc every time

3) Everyone please keep in mind bittorrent is merely a neutral technology, and a perfectly legal and useful one at that. It saves distribution and bandwidth costs and can even be used to legally download "backup" copies of media you already own. +1 for BT!

I hope TSI's stance doesn't change in the future and while the big 3 might not value my privacy, I certainly do and I'm glad TSI does as well.

+1!
--
If my online experience is enhanced, why are my speeds throttled?? BHell... A Public Futility.

Nemo888

join:2005-12-25
Canada
reply to TSI Marc
It really didn't say much of anything.

3 Web Corp., Access Communications Co-Operative Ltd., ACN Inc., and Distributel Communications Ltd have been targeted by a US copyright trolling company. November 19 they got a Canadian federal court judge to force the ISP's to reveal the users. About 50 people will be harassed in the trial round.

The fines start at 100$ and 5000$ is the max for all infringing combined. Plaintiff must prove damages so expect them to try to keep it out of court. If a sympathetic judge gives a 100$ judgement they are screwed. Copyright lawyers who can litigate cost over 500$ an hour.

So where is the Teksavvy VPN service?
Expand your moderator at work

Curmudgeon

join:2012-04-09

1 edit
reply to Ott_Cable

infusionsoft.com third party mailer

said by Ott_Cable :

Please note that passing your clients' info to a 3rd party mailer: infusionsoft.com is a violation to privacy.

I agree. I complained about this a few months back concerning a different e-mail. At first they denied using a third party mailer, and when I replied showing them the message headers, I was ignored.

I used the "unsubscribe" link to remove my address from the list. If that doesn't work, I'll just block all mail from infusionsoft.

MJB

join:2012-01-29
reply to TSI Marc

Re: Blog: Recent Developments in Canadian Copyright Law

well u could crack the program yourself (game) and pass it around on a jumpstick.. meaning the game will have to be bought first from a store.

bobby

@teksavvy.com
well, i have a vpn service that changes my ip address to a US one. Would that be a way to get around this BS copy right law?

jubjub107

join:2010-11-28
reply to TSI Marc
Would a seedbox be another option? I haven't been keeping up with the copyright laws in other countries so I'm not sure if it would be.

OHSrob

join:2011-06-08

2 edits
reply to TSI Marc
It's too bad everyone was so quick to have konrad von frankenstein (The previous chairman of the CRTC) kicked out.

Well he might not have understood technical things further then the scope bell wanted him to understand. He did fight for people to have some rights after seeing how much the American Music Industry just exploited Americans.

We could probably all complain about this if he was still there and prevent these copyright lawyers from exploiting our customers over stupid thing's like downloading the latest episode of house. The new guy might be able to help as well.

Konrad Von Frankenstein the reason the music industry can't fine you for $250,000 for downloading the latest Brittany Spears song.

I am having a really hard time understanding why I would have to give out any of my subscriber's information without a subpoena and how anyone in the government could possibly think it is a good idea for any isp to just give subscriber info out to anyone who claims they are an anti-piracy agency.

Does anyone have a link with some more information regarding this law ?

edit: I would seriously hope that I only have to comply with canadian company's for canadian content. If tell me I have to co-operate with foreign nations anti-piracy agency's this is going to be a big sticky mess.
--
www.ontariohighspeed.ca

eh wut

@videotron.ca
reply to d4m1r
said by d4m1r:

What hat did you pull that out of?
No where do they state they will go to court and fight anyone to protect your privacy before handing off your info on court order.

Care to paste it? I must have missed it.

cant wait

@videotron.ca
reply to jubjub107
said by jubjub107:

Would a seedbox be another option? I haven't been keeping up with the copyright laws in other countries so I'm not sure if it would be.

and

said by bobby :

well, i have a vpn service that changes my ip address to a US one. Would that be a way to get around this BS copy right law?

I wouldn't worry about it. The perception is this:

said by d4m1r:

Seems the perception is that TSI will protect you and not give your info out.

I think some people are in for a wake-up call.