said by parputt:
My wife wants a good camera and I have no idea. She is looking at the Canon EOS Rebel T3i DSLR. Don't want to break the bank, but would like to take some good action pictures etc. Both kids are in dancing and gymnastics so I guess the faster the better.
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Go with the Rebel T3i - hands down! Here is my thinking on this:
1) She is already looking at it, a point and shoot would be an insult.
2) If she doesn't have experience with a DSLR now she will soon enough.
3) This is a great starter DSLR kit that will yield beautiful images for years to come.
4) The auto settings on this camera will build her confidence and be noticeably better than the results she would get with a point and shoot.
5) You mentioned "action shooting" and the T3i will NOT disappoint. It offers a wide range of fast shutter speeds and adjustable ISO settings to stop motion in a wide range of lighting situations. You would be hard pressed to accomplish this with a lesser camera.
I bought this camera with 2 lenses and a nice bag for my wife for Christmas last year. Her previous camera was with a Canon Powershot S3.
She jumped right in and learned the camera very quickly and her photography has improved by leaps and bounds.
The bonus is that she can share my lenses when necessary as I have an EOS 20D, 5 Canon 'L' lenses and a 580 EX II flash. I actually enjoy her T3i more than my 20D so now I am in the market for a 5D Mark III or possibly a 6D.
The logic that says "if she hasn't used a DSLR get her a point and shoot..." boggles my mind.
My wife loves the flexibility of the DSLR and can do things with manual settings that were impossible with her old S3.