parputt
Premium
join:2001-11-25
New Iberia, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
·Cox HSI

Canon EOS Rebel T3i

My wife wants a good camera and I have no idea. She is looking at the Canon EOS Rebel T3i DSLR. Don't want to break the bank, but would like to take some good action pictures etc. Both kids are in dancing and gymnastics so I guess the faster the better.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
--
"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed." - - - Mark Twain

SueS
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO
kudos:2
What is your price range?

Does she know how to shoot with a DSLR?

If she does not know how to shoot with a DSLR, is she planning to learn?

If she is planning to shoot with the auto settings, I think you should think about a point and shoot type camera.

parputt
Premium
New Iberia, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
·Cox HSI

1 edit
Yea, she probably does not even know what DSLR stands for much less how to shoot with it. Heck, I thought DSLR was this forum LOL. She just wants something faster than our old Canon Powershot.
--
"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed." - - - Mark Twain

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
kudos:1
reply to parputt

adam9280

join:2005-01-02
Rochester, MI
reply to parputt
I was in the same boat. My wife loves our Canon S95 but hates the shutter lag (on all point & shoots). I have the T3i but good luck getting her to hold it with the "heavy" 17-55. She also doesn't understand needing a "large" camera bag, several lenses, filters, etc...

Will your wife use the viewfinder?
--
This is where the fish lives.

bfreas
Premium
join:2001-06-16
Franklin, KY
reply to parputt
»www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-FZ2···anasonic
--
"The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark." — John Muir

robo21

join:1999-10-31
Los Angeles, CA

2 edits
reply to parputt
said by parputt:

My wife wants a good camera and I have no idea. She is looking at the Canon EOS Rebel T3i DSLR. Don't want to break the bank, but would like to take some good action pictures etc. Both kids are in dancing and gymnastics so I guess the faster the better.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Go with the Rebel T3i - hands down! Here is my thinking on this:
1) She is already looking at it, a point and shoot would be an insult.
2) If she doesn't have experience with a DSLR now she will soon enough.
3) This is a great starter DSLR kit that will yield beautiful images for years to come.
4) The auto settings on this camera will build her confidence and be noticeably better than the results she would get with a point and shoot.
5) You mentioned "action shooting" and the T3i will NOT disappoint. It offers a wide range of fast shutter speeds and adjustable ISO settings to stop motion in a wide range of lighting situations. You would be hard pressed to accomplish this with a lesser camera.

I bought this camera with 2 lenses and a nice bag for my wife for Christmas last year. Her previous camera was with a Canon Powershot S3.

She jumped right in and learned the camera very quickly and her photography has improved by leaps and bounds.

The bonus is that she can share my lenses when necessary as I have an EOS 20D, 5 Canon 'L' lenses and a 580 EX II flash. I actually enjoy her T3i more than my 20D so now I am in the market for a 5D Mark III or possibly a 6D.

The logic that says "if she hasn't used a DSLR get her a point and shoot..." boggles my mind.

My wife loves the flexibility of the DSLR and can do things with manual settings that were impossible with her old S3.

join:2012-11-19
reply to parputt
I got myself a T3i, and I want to update to T4i.
I think you are interested in look into this
»t4ivst3i.com

parputt
Premium
New Iberia, LA
Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like we will be going with a T4. Seems like a good place to start. Thanks again.
--

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium
join:2001-01-29
Proverbs 3
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·Knology

1 edit
I got my wife a T4i w/ 18-135mm lens and 55-250mm Zoom lens combo kit for a Christmas gift. I also included the Speedlight 430EX II Flash plus a Canon gadget bag plus 70" tripod accessories kit. It was an upgrade from her Nikon s270 point and shoot. When I ordered them on black Friday I saved almost 200 dollars.

You will want the EF 18-135mm lens. Not only does it have better range, but it is quieter. The 18-55 is noisy and the auto focus noise can be picked up by the cameras microphone when recording.

As for a point and shoot. My wife is at the point and shoot stage still. Fortunately, she is accustomed to the screen touch shooting that can be done on the T4i as it is on her Nikon. And probably the important issue about it being used as a point and shoot is that it takes great pictures compared to real point and shoots. LOL

However, I topped off this gift with a 8 day photography class that will show her all the features of the camera which will be enough to get her using it almost the way it was meant to. Certainly like anything worth doing and remembering being in college, she will need some lab time to be proficient.
--
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on His shoulders. And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6

kdshapiro

join:2000-03-29
Eatontown, NJ
@jukebox - nice. A DSLR can be quite intimidating if one is not used to the myriad of settings.
--
Ken