join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to jlewsader

Re: Slow internet U-verse 12mbit

said by jlewsader:

What are u referring to as BPON? That's a new one for me.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BPON

Broadband Passive Optical Network. At present this is the type of optical network that FTTP (Fiber to the Premise) customers are connected on.

They may be upgraded to GPON (Gigabit-capable Passive Optical Network) sometime in the future, but that would require different CO equipment, and in many cases, new ONTs (Optical Network Terminal) at the customer premise as well

In most parts of the country, there are three prevailing "flavors" of U-Verse, with a fourth available in very few locations:
1) FTTN VDSL2 (single pair or bonded) U-Verse
2) IPDSLAM ADSL2+ (single pair now; bonded coming soon) U-Verse
3) FTTP BPON U-Verse
4) FTTC VDSL2 U-Verse (Fiber to the Curb -- supposedly in one small part of Richardson, TX, and also there are a few legacy BellSouth FTTC neighborhoods that were upgraded to U-Verse, but there are a ton more that need the upgrade still...)

jlewsader

join:2012-11-30
Covington, IN
Ok I got ya now. I am aware of the different versions of UVERSE. Im a prem tech out of Illinios. I had just never heard the BPON term. Yeah, the 3800 & newer 3801 are both FTTN & FTTP gateways. I was just assuming he was an FTTN customer.

FuzzButt

join:2006-01-02
Waterford, MI
I'm not sure what's going on but after a few tweaks and a reboot and on wireless and wired I'm back to 17x1.4 very odd. Might be the Asus network tweaking utility in the AI Center.

Weird. Well hopefully it will stay at the improved speeds. I'll install that app after I get .net 4 installed.