New York, NY
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·RCN CABLE
·localphone.com
·callwithus
reply to PX Eliezer7

Re: [General] Receiving calls from cell phones to Voip phone

I think this is a matter of codec and compression and loss of data. I'm quite sure that the problem is with the cell phones rather than the Voip phone; calls received from cell phones are noticeably worse than calls received from landlines. But people do insist on using cell phones. How do I manage with these calls?

During Hurricane Sandy cell phone service was poor to non-existent but now things are back to normal.

jimk
Premium
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·voip.ms

said by steve1111:

I think this is a matter of codec and compression and loss of data. I'm quite sure that the problem is with the cell phones rather than the Voip phone; calls received from cell phones are noticeably worse than calls received from landlines. But people do insist on using cell phones. How do I manage with these calls?

During Hurricane Sandy cell phone service was poor to non-existent but now things are back to normal.

Are you having problems with all mobile phones or just one carrier? There can be a huge difference between providers.

There isn't much you can do about it, other than using the G.722 or G.711u codecs. I would avoid introducing any more compression than necessary.

I suspect the issues you are experiencing are on the mobile phone's side. One or more carriers in your area is probably over-compressing calls to increase capacity. Don't let impressive looking coverage maps make you think call quality on these networks will be perfect (sometimes larger carriers have more capacity issues, so they use more aggressive compression than smaller carriers). Combine this with a poor quality phone or handsfree device, and call quality is going to become very poor.

blohner

join:2002-06-26
Cortlandt Manor, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Optimum Online
reply to steve1111

It sounds you are doing what you can. I would avoid double compresseion - even G.729A is problematic when the call comes from CDMA (i.e. Verizon, Sprint).... Full rate GSM would be fine but I have yet to experience that in the US... When I am in Europe Cell Calls generally sound like landline but somehow in the US the carriers get away with compressing the cra.... out of it...

When people call me from their cell I politely tell them unless it's urgent please call me back from your landline once you are home... Doing that every time they call from the call usually get's the message across....
--
I am addicted to speed --- Boost + speed that is ---