join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA

3 edits

R2 to Mele20

MVM

to Mele20

Re: [WIN8] Biggest gripe about Win 8...

Click for full size
Mele, this is what I get as the default music player. Despite having some buttons at the bottom, none of them has an X...

I installed Adobe Acrobat immediately after I saw the functionality (or lack thereof) in the default "Reader" program. It was horrible. I cannot find it anymore, so maybe Adobe appropriately kills that thing once it is installed.

Believe me, I hate how intrusive Adobe is with their twice a day ARM update announcements, but at least their product has some functionality to it...

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

said by R2:

Believe me, I hate how intrusive Adobe is with their twice a day ARM update announcements, but at least their product has some functionality to it...

I have been running Adobe Reader 10.x since it came out, and just recently updated to Reader 11.x. I've never seen any kind of message about an ARM update.

Why? Because when I install any application, I always check to see if there is a way to turn off auto updates from inside of said application. I even go one step further and check for any new services that may have "update" in them. Finally, I'll go look in the registry to see what runs on startup. There are 3 places where run keys can be placed in the registry, and in those 3 places, I only have 6 items: 2 are for McAfee, 2 are for Bonic (distributed computing project) and 2 are for my Microsoft Keyboard.

If you are bothered by the Adobe ARM updates, go remove the keys from the registry!

--Brian

R2
R Not
MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

I completely agree! Thanks, and I do know that, but I actually use MANY computers through my day at work. I think almost EVERY computer I touch has a tray message asking to update Reader. I don't have the time to remove it from all of them, and even if I did, someone would come along later and install something else or download some update - only to have it reset the ARM update message!

I just find the number or updates they release to be very excessive.

Razzy - no, but I will look into that. Thanks.

Octavean - thanks too.