share rss forum feed

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to Gone

Re: Question for Expert. Can one get a Tablet that...?

Thanks Guspaz. I have to admit, I'm a bit surprised how strong adoption of 5GHz has been for 2012 products.

said by Gone:

Furthermore, for every Mac sold with dual band wifi, there are hundreds of Windows PCs sold that are single band.

Until 2011, only "Pro" Macs had 5GHz support, as far as I can tell. So even relatively new macs don't have it. Ya, still a fair number of PCs without as well.

It will be 2 more years before 5 GHz is ubiquitous. Once it is, 5GHz in old construction apartment buildings may become unusable too, because there isn't that much more spectrum. New wifi is getting a lot smarter about how much power it uses though, so maybe things will be better.

None of that will ever trump the simple fact that wires are better
--
electronicsguru.ca

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

There's a lot more available spectrum for 5GHz wireless as there is for 2.4GHz, as there are three separate bands within the 5GHz range that can be used in North America (albeit one of those bands has to "yield the right of way" to to speak to weather, military or aviation traffic). With 802.11n, there's plenty of 5GHz breathing space, even with 40MHz channels.

The big issue issue is that new stuff like 802.11ac can use up to eight 20MHz channels, for a total of 160MHz. That turns 5GHz into the same congested space as 2.4GHz is now.

Also, as for Apple, the original Macbooks and iMacs had 5GHz wireless from the moment the first 802.11n Airport was released and the moment Apple started including 802.11n cards in their machines. They've always had 5GHz, even the low-end products. If they removed 5GHz from later models, they've done the same thing as Dell.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21

I know I have lots of customers with relatively recent Macs that don't do 5GHz.. But, on further review, it looks like 2010 Macs all had 5GHz (makes the iPhone situation kind of extra stupid ).
»discussions.apple.com/thread/361···tstart=0
--
electronicsguru.ca

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Dell did the same thing and stopped including products with 5GHz support by default in their products, and I don't understand why.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

said by Gone:

Dell did the same thing and stopped including products with 5GHz support by default in their products, and I don't understand why.

Its not just Dell...Toshiba has done the same thing. I have it in my Satellite from 2009, my gf has an old Toshiba Satellite from 2008 and it had 5ghz support, she bought a new one....I never even thought to look, no 5ghz support...Its because they cheaped out on the wifi controller and went with Realtek obviously to same some bucks vs mine and her old one which are Intel ones (Mine's a 5100 and hers is a 4950)...works pretty good....I'm a little disappointed there's been pullback from 5ghz support though...

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Dell always used a Broadcom controller as their "low end" part, and it was ABGN. They still use Broadcom, but it lacks 5GHz. It's stupid if you ask me.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Kruisey

Here's all of Dell's sub-14" notebooks:

Inspiron 13z ($600): 2.4 GHz
Inspiron 14z Ultrabook ($550): 2.4 GHz
XPS 13 Ultrabook ($1200): 5 GHz

So yes, very few Dell notebooks have 5 GHz support. Which is bizarre, my Dell Inspiron 9400 had 5 GHz support in 2006, six years ago.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org