Search similar:

uniqs

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

Fan not working on laptop and beep sounds.

Hey I own a Inspiron N5110. the intake fan on the bottom but not spin anymore. I take it the fan should be on all the time or does it just turn on when needed?

The laptop will also do two beeps while I'm using it sometimes and you hear like a snap close sound inside.

FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy

This:
»www.insidemylaptop.com/d ··· -laptop/

and this:
»www.ebay.com/sch/i.html? ··· osacat=0

If anything breaks, blows up, damage, doesn't fix, doesn't work., etc. is not my fault. Try at your own risk.

PS: I vote you back up your stuff.

=D

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

well it's still under warranty I was just not sure if the fan only kicked in when needed but I've never hear of that and I can't find the answer about the two quick beeps while in use.

I'll call dell tomorrow. I know I can take it apart but if they'll do it for free may as well let them fix it.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to TOPDAWG

Premium Member

to TOPDAWG
Some laptops only run the fan when needed (my relatively old Inspiron E1705 fits in this category). I have seen a few laptops have an option in the BIOS to force the fan to always run, or selectively run based on current temperatures. Definitely check with Dell though.

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita to TOPDAWG

Premium Member

to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

well it's still under warranty I was just not sure if the fan only kicked in when needed but I've never hear of that and I can't find the answer about the two quick beeps while in use.

If the fan had failed, the laptop would likely not boot beyond POST - every fan failure I've come across on laptops, the POST notifies you of it and halts the system with a "fan failure" message. When you hit the power, the fan should spin up (likely just a second on cold boot) so check for that when you hit the power. The fan will likely kick on once the temps hit the level needed to trigger it.
quote:
I'll call dell tomorrow. I know I can take it apart but if they'll do it for free may as well let them fix it.
I would go that route, only for the fact it makes life easier as far as parts go, makes life more annoying having to deal with their support.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

yeah think it may just kick in when needed. my mean worry is the two beeps I hear during use sometimes and the snap closing sound I hear inside the thing. I've no idea WTF that is and can't find shit online.

captokita
Premium Member
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

captokita

Premium Member

Anything in the event logs in either BIOS or Windows? The beeps should be triggering something.....

As for the pops, can you isolate where they're coming from? Can you MAKE the laptop do this along with the beeps? Or is it just a total random thing? Obviously it's not a good thing, but if we can get an idea on what you're doing when this happens, we might have an idea what's causing it.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

it's random. internet searching does nothing I will call dell next week maybe they know WTF it is.