·voip.ms
reply to steve1111

Re: [General] Receiving calls from cell phones to Voip phone

My suggestion, assuming good ISP bandwidth:

Preferred: G.722
2nd choice: G.711u (PCMU)
3rd choice: G.729A

said by steve1111:

My concern is that by enabling a narrow-band codec, I will then be receiving poor quality calls from landlines.

G.729A should be OK for landline calls.

It's not as if we are talking about G.726, after all....

-------------------

You have maximized the QoS for VoIP on your router, I assume.

said by steve1111:

But people do insist on using cell phones. How do I manage with these calls?

My secretary and I are [so] sick and tired of receiving garbled cellphone calls.

We know it's [not] on our end, because lots of cellphone calls do come in OK. But some others are awful. And at least around here, it often [does] depend on the cellular carrier they are using.

We are especially sick and tired of them calling our office while they are driving. When people call us to make appointments, we need to talk to them in great detail for 10-15 minutes, yet they are simultaneously trying to not hit a pedestrian, and trying not to have a truck hit them.

So:

It may cost me some business, but if someone calls us on a cheap Drekfone and we can't hear them, or if we realize they are driving a car, we tell them to call us back from a real phone and when stationery. Seriously, we do.

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
join:2009-06-21
Planet Earth
kudos:4
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·callwithus
·Callcentric

said by PX Eliezer7:

It may cost me some business, but if someone calls us on a cheap Drekfone and we can't hear them, or if we realize they are driving a car, we tell them to call us back from a real phone and when stationery. Seriously, we do.

+1
--
My VoIP News