R Not
MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA

R2 to Kramer

MVM

to Kramer

Re: [WIN8] Can't uninstall a program

Kramer, well I have to update. And if I have to buy a new version, it is obviously most logical to buy the 13 version. Hopefully installing that will fix any underlying mess...

I am still interested in finding the Uninstall string and trying to uninstall the old one first. I believe dave is correct, the string just needs quotes put in and it may work....

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Kramer

Mod

Let me ask you this: How likely do you think it is that you will be able to install 2013 without having first uninstalled the 2005 version? You do realize Quickbooks installs multiple Microsoft programs that will be out of date? If Quickbooks allows you to install multiple versions as I think they might, your chances improve. Being that the version you have semi-installed is 8 years old... who knows. Microsoft used to have a tool that would at least remove programs from the add/remove program list. I don't think it de-registered DLLs or anything deep. They stopped distributing it, but I think I dug up a copy. If you want I'll see if can dig it up again. I don't know if it would work with Windows 8 though and you could get in even more trouble. My advice again is bite the bullet and do a system restore.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

Yeah, the tool is a button called "Remove" in the Add/Remove Programs list. If it can't find the uninstaller, it offers to remove the program from the list.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to R2

Premium Member

to R2
Look in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

for likely-looking entries. That's the 'standard' place, but then again, we're dealing with someone that has a proven record in not following standards...

Failing that, a brute-force search for 'Intuit' might locate it.

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

I looked in that key, but could not find the obvious sub-key. There is certainly not one called "QuickBooks" or "Intuit".

Sirvan - removing it from the list is only a cosmetic fix - all the underlying registry entries will be unchanged.

Is there something as simple as "setup.exe /uninstall"? That would be nice!

Thanks for the input.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

The trick is that you need to use the uninstaller that goes with the installer, and afaik, no-one in this thread knows what that is.

Once you've identified the correct program, then you need to find how to tell it to do an uninstallation.

If there's a 'setup.exe' that clearly belongs to Quickbooks, try opening up a cmd prompt, then typing commands like "setup /?", "setup /help", etc.

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

2 edits

R2

MVM

I hate when I miss those moderated out comments!

Yeah, the problem is that sheer number of entries for both QuickBooks and Intuit is huge and it takes quite a few F3 pushes... I will download Registrar Home Edition later and let it do a more convenient registry search...

Add: Even with Registrar, there are seemingly hundreds if not thousands of registry entries!! Not easy to remove manually....

And I just ran through all the HKLM/.../Uninstall keys - none are for QuickBooks.

Thought: I could use one of the Sysinternals monitor programs to figure out what the Add/Remove applet is doing...

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Kramer to sivran

Mod

to sivran
said by sivran:

Yeah, the tool is a button called "Remove" in the Add/Remove Programs list. If it can't find the uninstaller, it offers to remove the program from the list.

If that worked reliably it would be nice. In this case the unistaller is present, but it fails to work. The utility is called the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility and is available from Softpedia. »www.softpedia.com/get/Se ··· ty.shtml

It was written for XP, so who knows how or if it would work in Windows 8. Revo who has a pretty good reputation has a "forced uninstall" that is supposed to not require that the monitoring program have been used during the install. »www.revouninstaller.com/ ··· res.html

Don't have any idea of how well it works and what the free trial does and doesn't do. The whole program is 27 bucks.

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

I will attempt to try the Uninstaller tool later. Thanks.