spc
Search similar:

uniqs

wizkid6
join:2002-03-31
Opelika, AL

wizkid6

Need recommandations

My town is soon going to be getting FTTP packages up to 150mbps, and was wondering if there are any wireless access points (not routers) that can handle that much throughput without choking. That is, only one gigabit ethernet power, perfabably with 802.3af (PoE) support. This is with WPA2 enabled.

I'm talking about real-world perfformance, not marketing claims.

Any suggestions?

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

So your looking for a gigabit port capable wifi router (acting solely as an ACCESS POINT, or an AP, that gives actual throughput on the wifi side of at least 150Mbps one way, with WPA2 invoked. In other words real N LOL. Also see the requirement for PoE.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman to wizkid6

Premium Member

to wizkid6
Small Net Builder, »www.smallnetbuilder.com/, has some decent testing and nothing there would do what you ask. From the results there it looks like your going to have to wait until 802.11ac is fully developed after 2020 to reliably get the stable consistent symmetrical performance you are asking for in WiFi.

clarknova
join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova to wizkid6

to wizkid6
Unifi Pro should do the trick. I say should because I haven't tested the Pro model yet, but we have 56 regular UAPs that we're quite happy with after a year of testing. We'll be ordering some 30 Pro models within the year.

The UAP Pro is 802.3af with GBE LAN, 3x3 MIMO 2.4 (450 Mbps theoretical) + 2x2 MIMO 5 GHz (300 Mbps), and supports WPA2 personal and enterprise.

»www.ubnt.com/unifi#appro

wizkid6
join:2002-03-31
Opelika, AL

2 edits

wizkid6 to davidhoffman

to davidhoffman
On second thought, PoE is not a requirement, because they will probably use the existing coax in the house for the TVs. Any wireless-n access points without PoE that offers real-world throughput of 150mpbs downstream?

So far my choices have come down to the HP V-M200 and the D-Link DAP-2553. Would those at least provide 100mbps actual throughput downstream?

The UniFi Pro is a good suggestion, but it would require me to hire someone to install the things and would be rather expensive (I would need 3 or 4 of those). They would have to drill through plaster and wood.

Any other suggestions?

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Why does it have to be an AP solely without the possibility of it being a wifi router configured as an AP switch??

clarknova
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova to wizkid6

to wizkid6
Although I haven't tested extensively, I have seen over 100 Mbps of download speed using an ASUS RT-N66U running Tomato, although there's no apparent reason why you couldn't do it on something with a more modest price tag, like the RT-N16, or on the stock firmware (although I never recommend that).

And for the record, I second Anav's implicit recommendation of using a good router in AP mode, as it vastly expands your options.

»Wireless Networking Forum FAQ »Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point

Anav
Premium Member
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Dang you rite well. Im gonna have to up tha anty in my inglish to sound as igh falutin. By the way you dont have to record or make records to agree with me just say, that llama sum smart.

I'm just curious as to why only an AP can fulfil the requirement.

clarknova
Grande Prairie, AB

clarknova

dat llama sum smart. periud.