Search similar:

uniqs
simon726
join:2006-12-21
Ajax, ON

simon726

[Extreme] Which modem I will get if I were to upgrade to Extreme

Hey guys,

My father (dad) is going to change our internet tier this week and right now we have the so called "grandfathered" Express package that has a 60GB cap.

He then called Rogers just now and they offered him a package to upgrade into Extreme. Only difference is a 120GB bandwidth cap per month.

The only problem is, which modem will be provided for the Extreme service? I heard that many people disliked the Cisco DPC3825 devices, but I was wondering if the newer HiTron devices (couldn't remember what exact model number is....) will support the Extreme service?

If so, what are the conditions that I should be aware of?
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

Re: [Extreme] Which modem I will get if I were to upgrade to Ext

If you're paying the $7 rental price or if the rental is included in the promotion, then you'll get a Cisco DPC3825 or SMC D3GN depending on what the store has in stock. If you're paying $8 for the rental you'll get the Hitron.
simon726
Ajax, ON

simon726

said by yyzlhr:

If you're paying the $7 rental price or if the rental is included in the promotion, then you'll get a Cisco DPC3825 or SMC D3GN depending on what the store has in stock. If you're paying $8 for the rental you'll get the Hitron.

I personally don't want to settle with the Cisco or SMC. That's my opinion. I wonder how the HiTron works for some people with various experiences....

If I were to get either the Cisco, SMC or HiTron and have my own router - I have to set up "bridge mode".
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

If you're using your own router. Whether you get a Cisco or a Hitron is irrelevant. They are both perfectly good standalone modems when put in bridge mode. There is no advantage to having either one. The SMC is also a good modem in bridge mode as well, however it only supports 4 bonded channels on the downstream so it's not as futureproof.
simon726
Ajax, ON

simon726

Just now, I ended up getting the Cisco DPC3825 modem. From what I had remembered, If I were to get the Hitron I have to pay at least $2 extra per month.

As for the Cisco DPC3825, I've tested out the settings - from router mode to "bridge mode" - I have decided to end up going into "bridge mode" - to maintain capabilities for my wireless printer (which is an Epson Workforce 520) and my own wireless router (the router that I have is the Cisco E2500 dual-band Wireless-N router).

Over the next little while, I'll be evaluating the performance of the Cisco DPC3825. I will let you know if any issues arise.