Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

Shootist to R2

Premium Member

to R2

Re: [WIN8] Biggest gripe about Win 8...

said by R2:

Shootist: "when you close a window you are working in the program itself Does Not Close. It stays running in the background until you Quit the program."

I didn't like it back then, and I don't think I'll like it now...

On Mac most programs do not close when you close the window for that program. Kind of like the 2 X's in a windows program where the bottom X is to close the window and the top X, the one in the Program title bar, closes both the window and the program. But on a Mac there is only one X and that is to close the window. Mac uses the same bar at the top of the screen for program menus and like the start bar and notification area in windows it has all those icons for WiFi and the clock and various other things along with all the menu options for the program that is active. You have to go to the program name in the menu bar, when it is the active program and click it then click Quit programname, or Command+q, to quit (Close) the active program. It you forgot to close a program and then opened another the name for that program you thought you closed by closing the window does not appear in the menu bar. you then have to Command+Tab (or click in the Mac Dock) to make that still running program (With NO Window open for it) the active program so you can shut it down.
Mac fanboys say OS X handles all this and you never have to shut programs down. Bunch Of BS.

If you are asking about Win 8 then yes with the Metro Apps just making the app disappear from the screen does not close the underlying program. It is still running.

Also Win 8 doesn't really shut down. It goes into some state of sleep/hibernation when you think you are turning off your computer. That is how they can get it to boot faster. If you really do shut it down, and there are ways to do that, the Boot times are much better then Win 7
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by Shootist:

said by R2:

Shootist: "when you close a window you are working in the program itself Does Not Close. It stays running in the background until you Quit the program."

I didn't like it back then, and I don't think I'll like it now...

If you are asking about Win 8 then yes with the Metro Apps just making the app disappear from the screen does not close the underlying program. It is still running.

Also Win 8 doesn't really shut down. It goes into some state of sleep/hibernation when you think you are turning off your computer. That is how they can get it to boot faster. If you really do shut it down, and there are ways to do that, the Boot times are much better then Win 7

I got that crappy Win 8 PDF reader closed just now by mousing to the upper left corner of the monitor, and clicking on the X on that thumbnail of the PDF reader open to the article I read last night. It's completely closed now. But I don't want to INCREASE mouse clicks ....that just invites more chronic hand problems..,just as the extra number of keyboard strokes on Win 8 does the same.

I disagree that boot times are fast in Win 8. I have the OS on an SSD but it boots more slowly than my almost 7 year old XP computer. It does shut down fully. It never sleeps because I don't allow that in power options. That is another crappy thing in Win 8...but I recall that as crappy in Wiin 7 beta (never had Win 7 except during public beta). I prefer Power Options in XP Pro.
Shootist
Premium Member
Decatur, GA

Shootist

Premium Member

On a Desktop system I don't want ANY Power Options. I want it to run FULL POWER all the time. So I agree with you on those setting. On my notebook I use them for longer battery life.

Ctrl Alt Del
Premium Member
join:2002-02-18

Ctrl Alt Del to Shootist

Premium Member

to Shootist
said by Shootist:

On Mac most programs do not close when you close the window for that program.

This behavior is slowly disappearing, and both the Mac and Windows are beginning to manage apps in a similar way. Starting in OS 10.7 Lion, and even more in 10.8 Mountain Lion, the OS now has automatic termination. If the application explicitly supports automatic termination, when the OS detects there are no open windows, no background processes doing work, there's nothing to save, and the application no longer has focus, the OS will quit the app. On my Mac, all of these apps will fully quit after you close the last window: Calendar, Contacts, Notes, Reminders, TextEdit, Preview. Other applications that fully quit themselves when you close the window include: App Store, Image Capture. Now the only apps that remain open in the background after closing the window are: web browsers, Mail, iTunes. Web browsers stay open so they are quick to re-open. Mail stays open to fetch email in the background. iTunes stays open to play music and sync with iDevices.

So if you hated how the Mac kept apps open all the time, upgrade to the latest OS. Now there's only 3 or 4 applications that stay open all the time.
Shootist
Premium Member
Decatur, GA

Shootist

Premium Member

That is true and false. If you have a Mac start every app you can then close the windows for them. Look and see how much RAM is being used and processes are running. Then let it sit and see if those processes close and how long it takes. I have and the OS never really closes the App.
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen

Premium Member

said by Shootist:

That is true and false. If you have a Mac start every app you can then close the windows for them. Look and see how much RAM is being used and processes are running. Then let it sit and see if those processes close and how long it takes. I have and the OS never really closes the App.

Automatic termination is a feature of OS X 10.7 and later. Apps have to be re-written to take advantage of it.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to Shootist

Premium Member

to Shootist
said by Shootist:

On a Desktop system I don't want ANY Power Options. I want it to run FULL POWER all the time.

What's the point of running the null thread at max frequency?
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp

Premium Member

said by dave:

No delays, stuttering or choking when you throw it a big job.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

said by SipSizzurp:

said by dave:

No delays, stuttering or choking when you throw it a big job.

You mean you're sensitive to the few microseconds it takes to uprev the CPU freq?

"Stuttering or choking" sounds like nonsense to me.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

said by Shootist:

On a Desktop system I don't want ANY Power Options. I want it to run FULL POWER all the time.

You can still set the power options for the CPU minimum to 100% - that will keep your power company happy and your fan well exercised.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

said by JohnInSJ:

said by dave:

said by Shootist:

You can still set the power options for the CPU minimum to 100% - that will keep your power company happy and your fan well exercised.

Sure, but my question is why do that? When you don't need the CPU cycles, why insist on clocking it at full rate? Wait until you actually have the CPU demand.
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

"Stuttering or choking" sounds like nonsense to me.

It was a problem in older hardware generations and I figured that is what Shootist was talking about. Starting with the Core2duo era I've been leaving power management enabled in most cases.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to dave

Premium Member

to dave
said by dave:

Sure, but my question is why do that? When you don't need the CPU cycles, why insist on clocking it at full rate? Wait until you actually have the CPU demand.

Yep, that's the reason for the second half of my comment, where I get all snarky.