Search similar:

uniqs
IanR
join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

1 edit

IanR

Wanted wifi controlled receiver for 3 zones

I have a legacy Niles hardware system (15+ years old) which feeds to stereo speakers in 3 rooms. I want to replace the hardware with a receiver whch can feed the 3 zones with stereo audio AND be controlled via a wifi app (Android).
A home run would be if this same receiver could be used as a 5.1 system in the main soom, but if that's not possible I could stay with a separate receiver for that.
There are many receivers which do 2 zones, but few which extend to 3 rooms and can be app controlled. I am trying to get max ease of use and move away from the old Niles control pads in each room.
I would expect the receiver to be able to connect to my house network by either ethernet or wifi so that I can feed a variety of audio sources from internet streaming etc.
Any suggestions would be apprecated.

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE

Premium Member

For more than two zones, you are likely looking at a specialized piece of hardware.
IanR
Fort Mill, SC

IanR

Yup and I am trying not to get ito more high price gear when my distribution needs are quite modest. Namely stereo sound to 3 sets of speakers...
Why is it manufacturers never make EXACTLY what I want? Of is it I want what manufacturers never make?;)
I guess one way around it is to buy a good Denon and rather than use the surround use only the front dpeakers and combine that with 2 other zones???
As I am rambling out alond I wonder is the speaker wires for the livingroom and dining room could be run off a single set of stereo outlets?

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to IanR

Premium Member

to IanR
I've not dealt with it myself. Depends on exactly what you are trying to do really. The typical solution that I've seen is a single channel amp, with the output fed into a switch box. You can then control where the output is sent, either to a single or multiple zones. If you want multiple different feeds, then you would need multiple amps with a switch unit that allows multiple inputs.

There may be all-in-one units that can handle what you want, but I've not seen any. But this isn't something that I pay much attention to as I have no interest in a "home audio" setup.

Good luck.
cissado
Premium Member
join:2008-01-14
Clifton, NJ

cissado to IanR

Premium Member

to IanR
Not sure if you're still looking... and the price you want to pay, but I purchased an Onkyo 3 zone receiver recently. I think it's 9.2 or something, but it does do 5.1 in the theater room while going to 2 other zones. I got it cheap for $650 but it is showing higher now. It does have wifi, Pandora etc.. and the reason I bought it was the Audyssey xt32 room correction. It's probably the lowest priced receiver with the "xt" room correction by Audyssey.

I use it as a processor and I have my own separate amp, but it seems to be powerful enough, as Onkyos have been.

Here it is... It goes on sale periodically- Again, I got it for $650 on Amazon recently - »www.crutchfield.com/S-vJ ··· VVER=AAA
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

H_T_R_N (banned) to IanR

to IanR
I just picked up a NR717 for 600 ish to replace a failed 709 and it will do 3 zones.

I down graded\sized a lot of my equipment over the last year or so and have really enjoyed the newer tech such as wifi control and really good OSD but really miss the power and warmth of the older equipment.
IanR
Fort Mill, SC

IanR

Thanks guys.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to IanR

Premium Member

to IanR
The Denon 3313ci might be your ticket - 3 zones, flexible channel outputs, Android remote. I've been very happy with the Denon 1911 I bought 18 months ago for use in a bedroom. Very good sound quality. Has been reliable.

»usa.denon.com/us/product ··· nonna%29

It only lists iphone support on the site. But if you check the Play store, the official app supports this receiver.

$1200. But you can probably hit up the AVS Forum store for a pretty decent discount. I've read of people getting the new flagship 4520 ($2500) for $1799 there. They're an authorized shop, too.