All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
slimtim
join:2002-12-12
Cleveland, TN

slimtim

Anyway to increase speed / signal quality? -Smith?? :)

Hey Guys. I'm at a friend's house who has Frontier DSL.
Can you tell if there is anything that stands out with his stats, that could be limiting his speed? He's got a 7550 modem.
Thanks in advance.

-TimJ

Transceiver Revision 4.4.9.13.1.1
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path INTERLEAVED

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1344 192
Margin (dB) 26.7 31.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 53.0 31.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 17.8 10.9
FEC Errors 36981 6
HEC Errors 547 3
CRC Errors 116 0
Dolfan
join:2010-12-03

Dolfan

Get the interleave changed to fast path.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to slimtim

MVM

to slimtim
Looks like he's provisioned for Frontier's basic service. The line is pulling errors but not considering uptime it shouldn't mind too much of a speed increase.
jamesonnorth
join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN

jamesonnorth to slimtim

to slimtim
This line should be able to handle 2mbit or even 3mbit down without much issue, though there are a lot of errors for such a low speed on interleaved. Without knowing if that modem has been on for an hour or 3 months though, we can't really tell. 1000 errors in 10 minutes is bad, but 1000 errors over 3 months isn't that bad.

Sarick
It's Only Logical
Premium Member
join:2003-06-03
USA

Sarick to slimtim

Premium Member

to slimtim
Here is mine.. It's close to yours with lower SNR

Mode: G.DMT
Type: Fast
Line Coding: Trellis On
Link Power State: L0

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB): 15.4 24.0
Attenuation (dB): 53.0 29.0
Output Power (dBm): 19.2 12.3
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 5088 1024
Rate (Kbps): 3712 448
K (number of bytes in DMT frame): 117 15
R (number of check bytes in RS code word): 0 0
S (RS code word size in DMT frame): 1 1
D (interleaver depth): 1 1
Delay (msec): 0 0

Super Frames: 1052441 1052412
Super Frame Errors: 15960 0
RS Words: 0 0
RS Correctable Errors: 0 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 N/A

HEC Errors: 15730 1
OCD Errors: 0 0
LCD Errors: 0 0
Total Cells: 156604151 0
Data Cells: 45485110 0
Bit Errors: 0 0

Total ES: 15537 0
Total SES: 0 0
Total UAS: 9 0

You should be able to handle a better connection if my line does. This is after about 5 hours of up time..

Jan 1 05:00:11 syslog info -- MARK --

cool88
@frontiernet.net

cool88

Anon

wow just got 1462ms got a 1sec lag time wow and frontier calls that good for dsl

Sarick
It's Only Logical
Premium Member
USA

Sarick

Premium Member

Was this full time or did your DSL line drop and retrain. This happens a lot to me.

cool88
@frontiernet.net

cool88 to cool88

Anon

to cool88
now ping is back to 55ms to 75ms
cool88

cool88 to Sarick

Anon

to Sarick
wait 5mins and was still around 1000ms and then went back to normal to the 55ms to 75ms but thats the first its ver hit 1sec lag

Sarick
It's Only Logical
Premium Member
USA

Sarick

Premium Member

Open a dos window and do a pingpath to google.com

Yea looks like you might have some crosstalk issues or some serious noise problems. See if you can swap out the modem it could also be damaged. Secondly, make sure you have a home run setup with the wires away from other power sources and devices.

After moving a plug in usb power charger from my wall circuit the line quality stability increased. Sometimes having other wiring or devices to close to your ADSL or It's wiring causes extra noise.

I figured out the problem because my family member would turn off the PS3 and plug in the controller to the adapter. Shortly after the line would retrain and SNR would drop. I also Disabled bitswapping.

cool88
@frontiernet.net

cool88

Anon

here is the modem Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1344 192
Margin (dB) 30.3 31.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 22.0 11.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 16.8 11.1
FEC Errors 0 0
HEC Errors 0 0
CRC Errors 0 0

Errored Seconds 0
LOS Errors 0

and i am on 3mbps plan transimit power went up 2 and modem the westell 7500 and tech said modem good last time out and i know there but down new fiber line and i know i could get 3mbps or 6mbps good on just one line
cool88

cool88

Anon

and i am on data path fast and i have had errors but this is the only ones i have had and these are about a month ago only 1fec and hec and crc and 1 errored second and it was bad weather when that happen

Sarick
It's Only Logical
Premium Member
USA

1 edit

Sarick

Premium Member

said by cool88 :

and i am on data path fast and i have had errors but this is the only ones i have had and these are about a month ago only 1fec and hec and crc and 1 errored second and it was bad weather when that happen

Cool88 Your line can handle A LOT better connection, The DSLAM has you locked it's not your connection or your modem . You could easily handle 8kbps! (fixed)

Nothing you can do but call your ISP and ask them to up your speed. If you're getting horrible lag it might be the reason why they are limiting your connection. They might have oversold the bandwitdh and too keep people from congesting the network they locked the modems to this low rate.

There is nothing that you can do on your end modem wise unlss you have spyware or something else running in the background causing the latency etc it's your ISP.

Also, I didn't realize you hijacked the topic from Slimtim til now.

Outside contacting the ISP and having them fix it or getting another provider you are SOL.

Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 448
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 3712

Cool88 it was a typo..

cool88
@frontiernet.net

cool88

Anon

and i hope you mean 8mbps which you probley had a typo and it makes it looks like you are right on the oversold part it sounds like what would happen and i had the same problem as slimtim and need the help to no need to make another forum topic since its already here

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV

Hank

Premium Member

Is there a particular time that you are having issues with your DSL connection?

cool88
@frontiernet.net

cool88

Anon

around 6pm to 8pm then its good service is probley overload here
cool88

cool88

Anon

sarick what modem do you have and are you on 6mbps lan because i am gone try out the 6mbps plan and see how it goes

Sarick
It's Only Logical
Premium Member
USA

3 edits

1 recommendation

Sarick

Premium Member

Everything is listed in this topic.

»[DSL] Altering ADSL Modem Tones to stabilzed bad line..

For me to get the full benefit of 6mbps I'd need bonded DSL or have a repeater installed. Lines with 50+ attenuation barely benefit from adsl2/+. My max sync with ADSL is about 5mbps. This is the max sync and with my line. Setting the line could become unstable with such a low margin for line capacity.

Right now I'm running at about 74% capacity. If I utilize more then 90% noise spikes can effect my line. At 90% of my current line capacity I'd be connected about 4500mbps. Not much o an overall improvement and a nightmare if it loses sync.

To find the percentage of capacity your using look at the max sync rate and your current sync rates.

My current sync is about 3700.
My maxmium sinc is about 5000.

This is simplified to 37/50ths of the line capacity. When converted to decimal its 0.74 or 74 percent of the line capacity.