spc
Search similar:

uniqs

XNemesis
join:2002-11-16
Kitchener, ON

XNemesis

[Cable] static IP

Hi, I'm wanting to use Unified Remote from my Galaxy s3 with my PC, but it seems that since I'm using a router (linksys e2000) that I need to set up a static IP on my PC to get this working.

Is this true and if so, how do you go about setting up one? Do you need to purchase this from TSI as an extra on your account?

Crowbar10
join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

Crowbar10

I don't believe there are static IPs available on TSI Cable ....

XNemesis
Kitchener, ON

XNemesis

Are you saying that it's not possible to set up a static ip with TSI Cable then?

Crowbar10
join:2009-06-23
Toronto , ON

Crowbar10

As far as i know static ip is only available on DSL .
twizzler66
join:2011-06-25
Guelph, ON

twizzler66 to XNemesis

to XNemesis
You don't need a static IP, you can set this up with a dynamic DNS service - google "free dynamic dns" - no-ip.com runs a fairly good service but you need check in with them regularly so they don't cancel your account - they email you links to renew your free services so it's easy to stay on top of.

I didn't look too deeply into the configuration, but I did see someone in their support forum mention they had it working with dynamic dns.

Again, not knowing how to configure this off the top of my head, but if the service/app allows you two configurations, you would likely use one setup with dynamic DNS when you are accessing your PC externally, and on your internal network, set your PC to have a static private IP and use that when your phone is connected on your LAN via wifi.

If you don't plan to use this app over the internet, you need only setup your PC to have a static IP on your LAN.

XNemesis
Kitchener, ON

XNemesis

Yeah, it will only be on the LAN, I guess I'll google how to do that then.

Thanks

TSI Keith
Premium Member
join:2012-07-09

TSI Keith

Premium Member

Hello,

Just to verify as it was not 100% certain. Crowbar is (once again) correct.

Unfortunately we only have static IPs available on our DSL service.

Regards,
Keith