Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

listonr12

join:2005-10-05
Terre Haute, IN

1 edit

Line Limitations

New DSLX Customer. Haven't received my modem from them yet, so I'm currently using a Westell 6100F. I'm on the Basic+ Plan. Would it be possible for me to get anything faster with my line stats? I highly doubt it.. but I just wanted to get some input.
Thanks!
Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0
Vendor ID Code: 4
Line Mode: ADSL2+ Mode
Data Path: Interleaved

Transceiver Information Downstream Path Upstream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1787 443
Margin (dB) 16.5 8.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 63.0 50.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 15.3 12.4

dslx_steve
Premium,VIP
join:2011-03-24
Winnetka, CA
kudos:6

While your noise margin looks good (23dB), the line attenuation (63dB) shows that your loop length will prevent you from getting better speeds.

listonr12

Terre Haute, IN
reply to listonr12

I changed the phone cord and my attenuation went down by 2.5. Weird. I also changed from ADSL2+ Mode to ADSL2.

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1786 443
Margin (dB) 15.5 7.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 60.5 50.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 14.6 12.4

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

Can you check at the NID?

»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »How to check modem stats, synch rates & speeds from test jack at the NID.

If a check at the NID shows significantly lower attenuation, you might consider wiring a home run.

»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »What equipment and tools are required for a homerun? Where can I get them?
»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »Homerun FAQ revision w/o photos for now
»AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ »Siecor External Splitter Homerun Diagram
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

listonr12

Terre Haute, IN

I did check at the NID and got an attenuation reading of 63.5db downstream. I would get 60.5 at different jacks in the house and then I would get 62.5 if I rebooted the modem. The last time I checked it was at 60.5 and in ADSL2 mode. It would switch to ADSL2+ Mode when it was 62.5 or 63.5. I'll try with the modem that I'm getting from DSLX and see what happens. Highly doubt that there will be a difference.

Thanks for the suggestion!