jimk
Premium
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Takamurasan

Re: What's the best SIP VOIP phone?

Cisco depends on the series. The SPA small business series phones are completely different from their Unified IP phones.

Let's just say that if you're using Asterisk, you're better off using native SIP phones rather than trying to make the higher end Cisco devices work.

Digium has some new phones that easily tie into Asterisk. I have heard good things about them, but haven't tried them personally. As far as I can tell, they are actually made by Yealink and have custom firmware and different branding.

Other than that, Yealink, Grandstream, Polycom, Cisco SPA series, SNOM, and Aastra are all fairly common and have decent community support. There are also some nice cordless IP phones from Panasonic and Gigaset that are great for residential use.

Since you're not using these in an enterprise class environment, you can probably make price a large part of your decision making process. Some of the more value oriented brands used to have more firmware issues, but this seems to have improved, and most of the bugs were with features you wouldn't use in a home environment anyways.

mdavenport

join:2012-03-01
Howdy,

Digium's phones are not made by Yealink. They're not OEMs of some other vendor's existing phone.

Cheers

jimk
Premium
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by mdavenport:

Howdy,

Digium's phones are not made by Yealink. They're not OEMs of some other vendor's existing phone.

Cheers

My mistake. They had some visual design similarities, and there was a press release a while back about the companies working together, so I was going based on that.

mdavenport

join:2012-03-01
Howdy,

No worries

Cheers