All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ptscon
join:2009-02-21

ptscon

ZyWALL 5 - Losing 14Mbps of throughout if Firewall is enable

I'm using a zywall 5 as my home perimeter router/firewall. All was great until the other day when my ISP bumped the speed of my package.

It looks like my zywall was pretty much maxing out at the previous speed and now it's a bottleneck.

With firewall enabled my speedtest results in about 29Mbps, if I disable it I get 43Mbps.

Is 29 Mbps really the max real world throughput I can expect?

Are there any tweaks that could be done to improve the max throughput, short of disabling the firewall?

Thanks

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

1 recommendation

Brano

MVM

According to the Z5 datasheet »ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/ZyWALL_5_U ··· TM_2.pdf
the Firewall Throughput is 65 Mbps. This is both ways, so one way max. speed would be 32.5 Mbps. So yes, you're maxing out the unit.

If you want to look at next generation ZyWalls check this »USG series FW 3.00 Comparison
ptscon

ptscon

Ah thanks, too bad ..was hoping something could be done.

JJ Johnson
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Fort Collins, CO

JJ Johnson to ptscon

Premium Member

to ptscon
That's surprising, as I have no issues getting a steady 26 Mbps down, with bursts much higher, through my ZyWALL 2 Plus with the firewall enabled. I would have thought the ZyWALL 5's throughput would be considerably higher.

A while back I inherited a Z5 from work and thought I might use it in the future if my internet speeds increased. In the meantime the Z2 Plus has worked flawlessly, so there's been no need.

Does the number and complexity of the firewall rules affect the throughput?
ptscon

ptscon

In my case I don't have any rules enabled for WAN -> LAN ..I simply have it set to Drop everything. When I need to do some forwarding that's when I enable a rule, but I get the bandwidth bottleneck with no rules enabled.