Search similar:

uniqs
Hahausuck
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

Hahausuck

Premium Member

Roof jack boot

So we had some bad winds last night and I found a shingle that had lifted and folded over. Went up and stuck it back down until I get time to replace it.

Found a roof jack had a boot that had split on the downward side. Uh oh. Hopefully no major damage under/in the attic.

Had to make a temp repair. Ran to Home Depot (second trip, first was to get a tube of Henry's) and looked. The roof jack boots are not field replaceable it seems.

I wound up grabbing some repair material that you can use on a flat roof (non-EPDM it says) and fashioned a makeshift repair with the material and the Henry's. It looks absolutely terrible but it will work for now I think. Basically I moulded the material around the stack and the jack on the downward side covering the opening. Squirted on a bunch of Henry's to act as an adhesive and then set it and smoothed out the Henry's making a good seal. Like I said, serious ugly but it will have to do for now. I know it's going to suck to clean up but oh well.

My question is, is I think I need to call a roofer to repair the jack, as I am no good really with roofing and I don't want to risk a leak. That is of course unless someone knows of a way I can replace the boot, then I won't have to call.

Ideas?
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

Lowes has an overlay boot that covers the existing vent.
»www.lowes.com/pd_88999-2 ··· cetInfo=
Hahausuck
Premium Member

Hahausuck

Premium Member

Perfect.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

if u have popped shingles, you need to call a roofer anyways..

-j

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

1 recommendation

robbin to Hahausuck

Mod

to Hahausuck
said by Hahausuck:

Found a roof jack had a boot that had split on the downward side. Uh oh. Hopefully no major damage under/in the attic.

Ideas?

Next time you get your roof replaced make sure they do it right -- lead roof jacks -- they don't split!

sempergoofy
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy to PrntRhd

Premium Member

to PrntRhd
I like overlay boot suggestion.

If the rest of the boot jack is in good shape and it is only the rubber gasket around the pipe that is cracked, you can save a few bucks by using just a collar. Available in different sizes depending on your pipe size.
»www.amazon.com/Oatey-142 ··· sim_hi_1

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

cdru to robbin

MVM

to robbin
said by robbin:

Next time you get your roof replaced make sure they do it right -- lead roof jacks -- they don't split!

But they do get chewed. Nothing seems perfect I guess.
Hahausuck
Premium Member

Hahausuck to sempergoofy

Premium Member

to sempergoofy
That like what I need!

Same mfg as the jack too

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to Hahausuck

Premium Member

to Hahausuck
Until I saw this thread I thought the only thing a jack boot was was a fashion accessory for thugs.
Hahausuck
Premium Member

Hahausuck

Premium Member