Premium Member
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX

mgraves1 to RobThompson

Premium Member

to RobThompson

Re: What's the best SIP VOIP phone?

said by RobThompson:

Do the SIP phones that you are talking about provide a better quality experience?

Yes. SIP hard phones like those from Polycom, snom, Gigaset, Grandstream, Yealink et al are fundamentally different from a soft phone client running on a smart phone.

Since they are not reliant upon wifi or 3G/4G networks that can be much more reliable that any kind of soft phone on a smart phone.

I have a Galaxy Nexus running Bria Android edition & Skype. Also a Nexus 7 table running Bria for Android Tablet Edition and Skype. My experience with these combinations has been a mixed bag. It can be good. It can just as easily be dreadful. It's no so much about the software, wireless IP networks are just like that.

In marked contrast I have Polycom VVX series phones in my home office and Gigaset SIP/DECT cordless phones in my home. These are absolutely reliable. They work and they sound great.

RobThompson
Caution - VoIP Challenged Alert
Premium Member
join:2012-02-14
J8G 0C9

RobThompson

Premium Member

said by mgraves1:

said by RobThompson:

Do the SIP phones that you are talking about provide a better quality experience?

In marked contrast I have Polycom VVX series phones in my home office and Gigaset SIP/DECT cordless phones in my home. These are absolutely reliable. They work and they sound great.

Thanks mgraves1.

To use a SIP phone, like the ones you described, do you need a special setup, equipment-wise?

Also, what is the advantage of using such a phone?

Thanks,

mgraves1
Premium Member
join:2004-04-05
Houston, TX

mgraves1

Premium Member

Just the device itself.

As to the advantages, they work absolutely reliably. And they sound great. They also don't tax you smart phone bettery.