uniqs
share rss forum feed

torobull123

join:2009-06-20
reply to TSI Marc

Re: [DSL] Network congestion tonight?

said by TSI Marc:

said by torobull123:

TSI needs to start thinking about increasing their capacity.

Should be some relief this week!

Much appreciated Marc.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26

np. I hope it solves it for a while.

We also have more links on order.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

oink

join:2012-01-21
Montreal, QC
reply to torobull123

Hope?... Frankly, between this and the permanent DNS issues, it's getting too much trouble.

Am I special to expect for a working service? I opened a ticket before I realized this was a network wide issue; how should I know if you don't communicate network issues directly to us; and the answer specified that I would probably have to pay to get it fixed, maybe fixed. That's an unacceptable business practice. Your service is broken, you warn us and you fix it ASAP, a permanent fix, and you absorb the cost. Don't expect the client to support your failures.

Personally I'm not going to linger much longer.

torobull123

@oink

I wouldn't say the network is broken. I thinks it pretty great (except peak hours)

Just needs a bit of extra capacity to compensate for the higher speed plans and increase in customers.

Be glad that Marc cares, if this was any other ISP, your complaints wouldn't even be recognized as a ISP wide problem.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

did the upgrade happen yesterday?

torobull123

reply to torobull123

Im getting crazy congestion tonight...... like most Sundays

Marc have you addressed this issue yet?

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

Sheesh... It is slow...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

torobull123

reply to torobull123

Im getting 30% of my sync on »www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

It always maxes out otherwise, in non-congested hours.

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3

Speed suck for me every night for months. Getting really fed up.

torobull123

reply to torobull123

strange.. I found a good gateway.

Let's see if this holds up.

Edit:
Pft... spoke too soon

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to torobull123

This is what i'm getting on 28mbit cable tonight. Not impressed. What's going on here?

UnixMan

join:2012-10-14
reply to Mike2009

There were number of threads with such complaints in this forum about DSL congestion. I'm experiencing such problem as well as you and this is one of the reasons why I pay $200+ every month to TekSavvy for double 25/7 ... just to have working DSL connection at the peak times.

I'm really sorry for my offensive messages to TekSavvy but I think I have rights to express my negative opinion after I got threats and ots of incompetents form one "manager" at this company on summer days while I was waiting for a Bell technician after third time of no showup. You could imagine my frustration! I've been a very friendly customer for about 6+ years but now I'm not.

I do like to know as well as you guys when it is going to be fixed???

Guru

join:2008-10-01
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by UnixMan:

I'm really sorry for my offensive messages to TekSavvy but I think I have rights to express my negative opinion after I got threats and ots of incompetents form one "manager" at this company on summer days while I was waiting for a Bell technician after third time of no showup.

This is interesting! You were threatened by a TSI manager? Care to share some details? Did you approach anyone to fix that?

UnixMan

Actually I do want to forget this story but if you'd like to know then here it is. Sorry but I can't prove on these days who's right and who's wrong, and I don't want.

The story is a pretty standard for modern TekSavvy. I requested speed upgrade last summer and couldn't get it during 3 weeks. I had to call this company every day with being held on the phone 40-90 mins. Customer service was lost even in simple questions like: can you please provide me with my account details? Every time I called they couldn't extract any information from my file about any tickets they opened a day before for Bell. It pissed me off. Once I tried to ask a lady at CS to switch my call to her supervisor. She said: "I won't because you are very frustrated at the moment!" (what???)

I had to hang up and call again. Talked to a supervisor (don't remember his name). He didn't want even listen about technical problems I had and about scheduled technicians who never showed up.

After all this crap I said simply: sorry guys but you are forcing me to "spam" you with phone calls by meaning to call every day which I actually already did. He treated the word "spam" as a computer attack and reported to his manager. I had even nothing similar in my had. But...

After that while I was waiting for the third appointment with Bell tech (15 mins before 9pm, and he didn't show up again) a person at TechSavvy called me, didn't want to listen to the existing problems at all and started telling me that they will not hesitate to cancel my account immediately if I talk to them without respect. What??? Respect of incompetence? I had no choice and simply agreed with everything he was trying to tell. I was feeling myself like an ass hole, it seemed all the problems happened because of me. OK!

On the next day I got a couple of e-mail with the same threating content. All e-mails was sent from a general account, not from a person they were signed by. So, I simply ignored them to avoid unnecessary conflicts.

So, maybe it was just my mistake to use "spam" in a different context, English is my second language. But if I was a manager I would never call a customer with threats only because he's very frustrated by my company faults. It's not professional.

torobull123

reply to torobull123

Its 1am and speeds are back to normal.

The peak has passed.

TSI Jon
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10
reply to UnixMan

Hello UnixMan,

I am very sorry to read about your experience with us. By what you have described, it looks like there are a few coaching opportunities that needs to be look into as this is not the experience we want any of our customers to go through. Could you PM me TSI Jon See Profile your account information as I would like to listen to a few of the calls you described. I also want to ensure you are not experiencing any difficulties with your connection and make sure everything is up to par.

Thank you,

TSI Jonathan
--
Social Media Relations Team Leader
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

UnixMan

Hello Jonathan,

As I said I don't really want to develop that story from the past again. It's gone. There was my fault as well. Let's forget about it please. It's been already resolved.

I just would like to know, I believe as everyone in this thread, if there are any plans for investigation and taking any actions regarding this thread topic.

Thank you!

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by UnixMan:

I just would like to know, I believe as everyone in this thread, if there are any plans for investigation and taking any actions regarding this thread topic.

Exactly... We've had some explanations of this and that, rate limit on the interfaces that was supposed to help but it clearly hasn't, etc...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to TSI Jon

said by TSI Jon:

I am very sorry to read about your experience with us. By what you have described, it looks like there are a few coaching opportunities that needs to be look into as this is not the experience we want any of our customers to go through.

On the surface of it, it sounds to be like the 'coaching' opportunity you speak of ought to include a few personnel firings.

Phibian

join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Jon

Hi Jonathan,

I too would like to hear where things are at on the congestion issue. This is not only affecting one or two customers. I assume that you guys are waiting for the CRTC but even just confirming that and saying "yes this is the problem and no it isn't going to change before we hear from the CRTC" would be better than the silence.

TSI Jon
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10
reply to UnixMan

I'm happy to read that it has already been resolved.

For the investigation of this thread about the congestion, I am looking to receive an update which I will post here once I receive something.

Thank you,

TSI Jonathan
--
Social Media Relations Team Leader
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to torobull123

This certainly looks like a growing issue. Of the folks I referred to TSI all but one are on cable so they are less likely to feel the pain. The one that does have DSL is on the 6Mb plan so they could even be affected judging by how low some of these speedtests are showing.

Sounds like 10Gbps circuits are needed badly to replace this outdated model of adding one 1Gbps circuit and waiting for the load to balance out. I thought this was already decided upon by the CRTC...?

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
reply to torobull123

Hi guys,

I have requested to see if I can get my hands on a list of upcoming Network Upgrades and their ETA... Stay Tuned.

Cheers,

Andre

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26

Andre, we'll get the exact details shortly but essentially, we added 3 gig links that were idle back in november~ish. Then we upgraded all the links to full capacity effectively adding roughly another 3gig capacity in December.

Now we are waiting on 3 new physical gig links that should go live by the end of the month that will also be fully used...

so inside of 3-4 months we will have added roughly 9 gig of capacity for Bell DSL (ON and QC) alone.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

conjor

join:2011-02-25

4 edits

Adding 1 Gb links at a time won't fix congestion like this (taken tonight around 6PM in North York on the Greenboro POI): »puu.sh/1KYLI

The net is almost useless during peak hours. Why do all ISP's around Toronto insist on oversubscribing their lines?

Edit: Only gets better as the night goes on!

»puu.sh/1KZyC

TSI Andre
Got TekSavvy?
Premium,VIP
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON
kudos:24
reply to TSI Marc

Thanks

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to conjor

said by conjor:

Adding 1 Gb links at a time won't fix congestion like this (taken tonight around 6PM in North York on the Greenboro POI): »puu.sh/1KYLI

The net is almost useless during peak hours. Why do all ISP's around Toronto insist on oversubscribing their lines?

Edit: Only gets better as the night goes on!

»puu.sh/1KZyC

Because Bell insists on only selling IISPs individual gigabit links at a time? They're still dragging their feet on 10 GigE links, making it very difficult for a large IISP to keep up with growth no matter how fast they add new links.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

conjor

join:2011-02-25

said by Guspaz:

Because Bell insists on only selling IISPs individual gigabit links at a time? They're still dragging their feet on 10 GigE links, making it very difficult for a large IISP to keep up with growth no matter how fast they add new links.

Then those ISP's which don't have capacity for more customers shouldn't sub-up more customers? Regardless of the circumstances behind the situation, it leaves a bad taste in customers mouths.

Sadly, the best Internet I have ever been able to get in the Toronto area has been a WiMAX solution from Bell. How sad is that?

Phibian

join:2009-06-01
Ottawa, ON
reply to TSI Marc

Thank you Marc. Your efforts to build a solid and reliable network are a large part of why I'm a customer and I appreciate the insight into where things are at during this difficult time. I look forward to further updates as they become available.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to conjor

said by conjor:

Then those ISP's which don't have capacity for more customers shouldn't sub-up more customers?

That would work only if the whole trunk between TSI and Bell was treated like a single large pipe so load can be balanced between all available links or subsets thereof.

The way AHSSPIs work right now, bandwidth and individual subscriber sessions are statically allocated to a single GbE link. TSI could have 1000x GbE links to Bell and still get congestion simply because Bell's BAS decided to cram too many active subscribers on high-speed profiles on the same AHSSPI link which are still 1GbE each, leaving many of the others under-used.

Until 10GbE AHSSPI becomes available, there is little TSI (or any other ISP) can do about congestion. You can only cram 40 active 25Mbps subscribers per GbE before hiccups start and leasing enough AHSPIs to accommodate numbers anywhere near that low would be cost-prohibitive. If you allow a 6:1 oversubscription, you would be looking at about $100/month per 25M subscriber.

95% of the blame lies strictly with the Bell-GAS service and fee structure that makes bandwidth management by ISPs nearly impossible, very inefficient and very expensive. The simplest fix (or at least a huge step in the right direction) is 10G AHSSPI but as Guspaz said, Bell is in absolutely no hurry to make this easy and likely won't make it cheap either.